Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've heard a knocking sound sometimes when driving, and typically it was never a consistent thing. I booked into my garage anyway, and to my surprise, they've found a problem! I thought they'd think I was just being paranoid.

Anyway, it turns out I need my rear shock absorbers replaced.... the car is a June '14 reg & done 26,500 miles... has anyone else had to have their rear shock absorbers replaced, and does anyone know whether this would be covered under warranty?

Thanks

Chloe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all,

I've heard a knocking sound sometimes when driving, and typically it was never a consistent thing. I booked into my garage anyway, and to my surprise, they've found a problem! I thought they'd think I was just being paranoid.

Anyway, it turns out I need my rear shock absorbers replaced.... the car is a June '14 reg & done 26,500 miles... has anyone else had to have their rear shock absorbers replaced, and does anyone know whether this would be covered under warranty?

Thanks

Chloe

I collected my car (F56S fully loaded, April 2014, 14,000 miles) today after three weeks as I complained about the irritating noises coming from the cabin. I too had the shocks replaced, plus catalytic converter and dashboard. All done under warranty.

I love the car to drive and I can even live with the cheap plastics but I think I'll have to return it as the noises still persist. The squeaks and clicking are obviously loud as the general cabin noise (compared to my BMW) is generally excessive.

If your planning on keeping your car you might also what to know that Mini will stop offering the 7 year service plan in March. Mine has 5 years at the moment but I figure I'll pay the £250 for 7 years. Even if I sell the car it will give the new owner a piece of mind.

I'd like to know if anybody else suffering from intermittent and irritating cabin noises and if so were they resolved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
My 2014 (August manufacture) had new rear shocks fitted due a low speed knocking noise. Cured totally-bet they had a 'bad batch'!! Donna had the same i think.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had the same, they replaced front wishbones (bended) + shock absorber mounts (don't know the term) and rear shock absorbers and mounts, and everything seemed fine for a week or so. But after 500km still having same (or almost identical) knocking sound, and they 'll look into it but don't have a clue... So back to square one. Hope they 'll find it as its really irritating once you notice it. Car had 22K km, and was under warranty... What's wrong with this car? So fed up with all of its problems... Premium my as*

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I had my first set replaced at 5000 miles then the second set replaced exactly 12 months later. My third set seems to be ok 12months in ....... #touchwood

What a job I had trying to convince my dealer it was rear shocks .... "we've not heard of this", "no other cases" blah blah blah. Only on the dealers purchase of chassis ears was it diagnosed immediately (the technicians ears aren't obviously up to much). Second set were diagnosed immediately.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
35 Posts
I noticed the rear shocks lightly knocking away, from the instant I drove it home two years ago.
How shall I describe it? Like a small pony with small coconut shells on its feet! A bit like worn out drop link bushes, but less harsh, more hollow sounding. It didn't seem to affect the performance, so didn't mention it until two years later at the official oil change service.
Amazingly, the mechanic heard it, even without me going out with him. He must have known what to listen for, as it had been arranged that I would assist him. The word came back that the sound had been identified as the known issue and the parts were ordered.
The car would have been manufactured September 2014. If these don't fix it, I'll report back.

·
Registered
35 Posts
miniproblems.com

Date Reported
JUNE 05, 2014
NHTSA Reference
TSB Reference
#SIM-33-01-14
Description: MINI: INSTRUCTION INFORMATION ON PERFORMING CAMPAIGN FOR SHOCK ABSORBER REAR AXLE. *PE A MALFUNCTIONING DAMPER VALVE OF REAR SHOCK ABSORBER WAS FITTED TO SOME VEHICLES. MODEL 2014 F56. UPDATED 10/10/14. *PE

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Amazingly, the mechanic heard it, even without me going out with him. He must have known what to listen for, as it had been arranged that I would assist him. The word came back that the sound had been identified as the known issue and the parts were ordered.
The car would have been manufactured September 2014. If these don't fix it, I'll report back.

Yep...any half decent technician should know what that sounds like. I've driven enough cars over the years to instantly recognise it. So should they #iamagirl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.