Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, anyone else had any rear suspension issues ....non "Dynamic Damper" related??? Fed up of my knocking and my dealer can't find a fault. They reckon BMW are not aware of any issues from standard suspensions. But are currently waiting for "a tool" to access "something" in the rear suspension (actual quotes from the sevice manager).... I'm sure my shocks are buggered.......

I'm finding lots of reports of people getting shocks replaced but they've had DD. I'm just standard suspension.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ok guys, anyone else had any rear suspension issues ....non "Dynamic Damper" related??? Fed up of my knocking and my dealer can't find a fault. They reckon BMW are not aware of any issues from standard suspensions. But are currently waiting for "a tool" to access "something" in the rear suspension (actual quotes from the sevice manager).... I'm sure my shocks are buggered.......

I'm finding lots of reports of people getting shocks replaced but they've had DD. I'm just standard suspension.
hi Donna

I have DD on my MCD I have not seen anything on this forum about DD failures-could you advise where you have seen that please

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey folks, I was thinking of getting the car back to my dealer about this, got the MCS with DD and loud knocking at rear - seems worse when cold. So is this a known issue with DD? Will it be covered by warranty? Car's only done 8k, shouldn't need shocks after that period of time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Donna

I ha the exact same problem as you describe! Also an F56 S, unsure as to whether I have DDs or not as I didn't spec the car myself.

It's been doing it since around 2.5k but only on really bumpy roads, and as above mostly when cold!

I'm definitely not going to bother wasting time and visiting my dealer just yet, too far to go to be unable to replicate anything.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kev....its a known fault with DD, covered by warranty, so you'll be fine!

Non DD ....well no known faults as yet. My dealer has had to buy in Chassis Ears to pinpoint my problem, so obviously mine is a bit more elusive! Waiting to go back for more investigative work. My money is on shocks or antiroll bar linkage. I've only done 5500 miles :(

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm not really sure if your issue with suspension is similar to a noise I have on mine. The noise sounds like a bouncing parcel shelf, but it isn't the parcel shelf. I mentioned this to my dealer months ago and was told it was the type of suspension, and not an actual problem. I have just had my suspension checked in relation to a vibration from the rear, and got the all-clear there too.

Oh and I have the standard Cooper S suspension.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maybe the parcel shelf comparison isn't quite right, but there definitely is a knocking sound from my rear suspension that I noticed months ago and reported.

I also feel more road surface, which has recently happened. It's like you can feel the normal imperfections of the road, but there's a constant other vibration thing or something going on at the same time.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its not the parcel shelf, I stripped the boot to the metal floor pan. Its not the adjustable seat catches either.

To accept "its the type of supsension" is absolute b*ll*cks in my opinion. Just not acceptable for 6 month old executive marque (price tag) car suspension to knock. I have a 10yo Freelander at home that rattles/knocks/squeaks but it's done 130K. The tech at the dealer agreed its not right for a new MINI to do this. I will escalate it to MINI if no fault is found.

Reactions: Sunster

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hope you get it sorted Donna - keep us informed!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have the standard suspension on my cooper D. It makes a rear suspension knocking noise; I've also been through the 'I wonder if it's the parcel shelf' thing. I've done 3000 miles, and I believe it was not doing it at new. The only thing I can find that might explain it, without dramatic affect on handling, is the anti roll bar. This, apparently was an issue on the previous model:

http://youtu.be/cetjT0mk9QQ

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turns out both my rear shocks were leaking. This was verified using the Chassis Ears the dealer had to buy in at BMWs suggestion.
The shocks are on back order from Germany and a delivery timescale can't be given as they have to be shipped over rather than flown because they are gas-filled and therefore an explosion risk.

But now that a problem has been pinpointed and in hand to be fixed, the knocks don't really seem to bother me so much!!! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Great news a simple fix once they get the parts. Let's hope they are efficient.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am following this with great interest, as I have exactly the same sound in my non-DD MCS. We have been having extreme cold here, and the noise has gotten much more noticeable. It seems to get somewhat better as the car warms up, so my fear is that it won't do its thing after the 1 1/2 hr drive to the dealer. So knowing where to look is extremely helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So It seems that Car&Driver reported this same knocking issue on their long-term F56 S. They had to replace both lower control arms (they were leaking), replace and torque the suspension bolts, and replace both rear shocks before the noise finally went away for good.

I was considering swapping my 15" for 18", but this suspension talk has me rethinking this choice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Lower controle arms leaking? You mean the shocks where leaking. I have a knocking sound to. It just happens on a bouncy road i hear exactly one knock and then its gone. Very strange. Maybe it could be something else. Will wait when the jcw exhaust is fitted.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just for the 'head up' guys .... I'm having another set of rear shocks fitted next week - the replacement set lasted less than a year before the same recurring noise. Technician says MINI are having a lot of problems with shocks and I'm not the first one to be attempting their third set..... :(

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Donna, buy some Biltstein,s and have the Dealer install them. You only can eat so many Cookies and drink Cappocinno,s while sitting around in the Mini Lounge.:D

Description
BILSTEIN B8 - Performance you can feel and use for your Mini Cooper! Although there are other brands of monotube gas shocks making an appearance in America’s pit areas, Bilstein technology is so far ahead and so different, that their performance cannot be equaled. Bilstein's gas charged monotube designs are far superior in quality, performance, and durability compared to the 'less-expensive' twin-tube designs (twintube technology is relatively unsophisticated and very low cost to produce).
Fits the following models:
2013+ F56 MINI Cooper and Cooper S Hardtop
2014+ F55 MINI Cooper and Cooper S Hardtop 4-Door
NOTE: Not compatible with the factory Adaptive Damper option.
Available in Heavy Duty or Sport versions. Each shock sold individually. Select accordingly.
Bilstein B8 Sport monotube shocks and struts deliver absolute mastery of the road surface for the performance-minded driver. Designed to push a car's suspension to its performance peak, these shocks are specifically suited for use with special lowering springs in combination with anti-sway bars or other suspension upgrades. (yellow paint, steel body)
Product benefits at a glance:
Shortened high-performance shock aborbers for virtually every lowering spring set and series production sport vehicles
Sports settings with high level of comfort
Marked improvement in safety and performance with additional spring changes (lowering)
BILSTEIN gas pressure technology
BILSTEIN mono-tube / Upside-Down technology, made in Germany
Road and track tested by BILSTEIN for fine tuning

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ooooh how much are they??? They're the right colour at least :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts