Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I try to use the sprayer to clean off my rear window lately I only get a small amount of fluid coming out, there's hardly any pressure and it's not enough to get any coverage in the actual path of the wiper. What should I look at - is the nozzle clogged or do I have a hose damaged or something? The front window nozzles/sprayjets work great - do they use the same fluid reservoir?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, they should use the same fluid reservoir.

As 'Another Mini' said try unblocking the nozzle. Mine had only a slight trickle of fluid. I used an aerosol can of air (that I use on my computers) with its thin tube attached - It cleared it easily.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I just found out today, that my rear spray is not working too. The front works fine, just great. I thought it was the cold weather. But it was not.
I will call for service today to get it working again. No excuse for poor quality. It seems that I am not the only one with this issue.
Maybe there is a TSB on this for Mini to handle each one on a case by case basis ?

·
Registered
159 Posts
I doubt there is any TSB on this issue, a dealer is likely to only clean it anyway - but if you find out different it could be interesting!

In my experience the rear nozzles are generally more likely to clog up on any car (not only MINIs). The back of a hatchback tends to accumulate road dirt quicker than the front, and if the wiper is at the bottom of the screen it could be worse with the nozzle facing upwards.

Dirt should not be getting from the washer bottle and unless you are in a hard water area (if you mix your own washer fluid) is should not be an internal issue. Mine clogged with only the fluid filled by Oxford or the dealer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm tempted to call for service then too, I assume it's a warranty item. I cleared mine off, cleaned out with a pin - it really didn't even look dirty. It's not clogged, something else is wrong because it's still not working.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Could it be some debris in the line?

My front (and rear) stopped spraying well for a couple of weeks and then recovered. I figured that it was a little blockage in the pipes that cleared itself.

If you break a pin in it then you may have to pay to fix it. I would keep blasting away and it might clear itself.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi if you look at the rear nozzle, you will find that the end pulls straight off, mine was blocked and found out that it can be removed easily to clean it. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info.
My take on it is, for me, this is under warranty, then the car goes back
to fix this issue n/c rather than for me to monkey around and try to fix it.
If it is not plugged with debris, like some have posted, than it could also be in some cases a defective motor / pump that ejects the washer fluid.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad just bought me a 2003 mini one as my first car, I love it and haven't had any problems yet apart from my rear windscreen. The jets don't hit my windscreen properly, I've taken the cap off it that's attached to where the wipers are and I've tried spraying it then to check it isn't clogged and the spray shoots out fine but obviously just straight back so it isn't clogged. Once I click the cap thing back on and try to spray it the liquid literally just trickles down under the cap.
Sorry for the awful desription I know nothing about cars but feel like this could be something quite easy to fix.
Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
In my experience of BMWs, this issue happens a lot and tends to be due to mixing of screenwash types in the reservoir which causes a soapy gunge to build up on the gauze filter in the reservoir.

It seems that mixing the official BMW stuff with any of the Halfords / Holts / Tesco... type screenwashes, does this after a while, so for the last decade I have used exclusively BMW screenwash (which I buy in 20 litre drums) and not had a problem again.

If you only ever use one type, it tends not to be a problem, but if say you have your car serviced and they add the official stuff, mixing the two, that's when problems can occur.

Weirdly this seems to be exclusively a BMW group problem - and it is very annoying that the only answer may be to stick to their own product. If you search any BMW forum, particularly at this time of year, you will see similar threads/

·
Registered
495 Posts
I had the exact issue last summer. The car went in, and the technician fished out a "foreign" plastic object inside the hose closest to the spray that was obstructing the fluid from spraying correctly. BTW, my car only uses BMW Washer fluid, nothing else. They couldn't blame me if they tired for using off the shelf fluid from other sources, because I just didn't. Under Warranty, and on my way....never had this happen again.

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
I reckon it must be pretty big -i do top it up but never seem to put much in there and have never run out even in the gunky weather we have had of late! Any one out there know its capacity out of interest?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have probably only used about 10 Litres of screen wash in my car over 2 1/2 years and 58K miles. I have found that when the warning comes on I can only get 2 Litres of mix in. I have only used the BMW/Mini stuff mixed with de-ionised water, 1L bottle with anti-freeze in winter and the super concentrated stuff in the summer and have had no clogging problems.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I keep mine topped up with Prestone 3 in 1. It's a combination of bug cleaner, de-icer, and Rain-X. I've used a couple gallons since owning the car and haven't had a single problem. I use it in my other vehicles with similar results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The end nub with the spray bulb in it will pull off after spraying with wd-40. Remove it and liberally saturate with wd-40. Then attach an air hose and force clean it. You may also use a pin to loosen grime. Simply push nozzle back in until fully seated, with nozzle pointed to window and it should spray nicely. If not, the problem is in the pump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed I have rear spray controls on the stick, however, no rear nozzle?? 2014 cooper S (see attached pic)
I am probably to late for anyone to notice this post, but I have the same problem. I have an idea that the car may have been in an accident and that the original rear wiper was replaced with one without the nozzle that apparently channels the water from the outlet onto the window When press the rear washer button with the windscreen wiper cap open, the water spurts out, but not when the cap is closed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts