Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a letter today in a dramatic red and white envelope for the recall on the bolt retaining the spare wheel.

Came across as very scary as it basically said my spare could drop out at any time and to book it in asap.

Now I have some questions. What has it taken them so long to get I touch with me given that this has been known for so long? Poor given that others on here had this done several months ago.

I will be mentioning the paint rub issue that is now showing a couple of places through to the primer on my drivers door frame.

Will also get them to check out my suspension to see if they think my shock absorbers need replaced.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I remember I sent an e mail to my service dept asking if there were any recalls pending on my car and the reply was "Oh yes, the spare wheel nut one", "book it in and we will do it".
They apparently were not going to contact me first which I find strange for a recall, albeit a not very serious one as I think the spare wheel hanging out from under the car would be quite obvious before it fell off completely.

What about the rumoured recall about the "wrong" tyre pressure stickers fitted to the B posts? Or is that not for UK cars, or are we again waiting for letters?

Seems a bit casual.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I remember I sent an e mail to my service dept asking if there were any recalls pending on my car and the reply was "Oh yes, the spare wheel nut one", "book it in and we will do it".
They apparently were not going to contact me first which I find strange for a recall, albeit a not very serious one as I think the spare wheel hanging out from under the car would be quite obvious before it fell off completely.

What about the rumoured recall about the "wrong" tyre pressure stickers fitted to the B posts? Or is that not for UK cars, or are we again waiting for letters?

Seems a bit casual.
They're just clerks who just happen to work at a Mini place.>:D

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car is booked in for the new nut the week after next.

Told them to make sure they actually have/get the part in. A few years ago my first r56 needed a fuse for the fan changed to a different rating. The did not carry the fuse in stock so I had to go back in :eek:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well Peter Vardy MINI have let me down!

Despite me specifically asking them to get this part in stock before my appointment I got a call today at 4.45 telling me they did not have the part and since BMW are on holiday they did not expect it to be in tomorrow in time for my appointment.

This is totally unacceptable service and I have told them so!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There has never been a reported case of the spare tire "hanging" or falling off. It was brought up because a MINI employee with a test mule noticed the nut could come loose and MINI decided to be proactive about it.

The stickers on the B-pillar was strictly a US thing - the weight rating was incorrect on the sticker, but because the stickers are regulated by the government, it turned into a mandatory recall. STICKERS.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
890 Posts
Well Peter Vardy MINI have let me down!

Despite me specifically asking them to get this part in stock before my appointment I got a call today at 4.45 telling me they did not have the part and since BMW are on holiday they did not expect it to be in tomorrow in time for my appointment.

This is totally unacceptable service and I have told them so!
It is just a nyloc nut instead of a plain nut, they could have raided petty cash and sent an intern to B and Q to get one!

Very annoying.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Poor you kenl in my opinion the dealer is v poor. Charge them for your wasted time.

·
Registered
890 Posts
As nyloc nuts are supposed to be "one use only", I suppose if we ever have to release the spare wheel tray, we will have to get another nut to hold it all together again.
The virgins may have been allowed to stand down so we may have to buy normal unpolished ones.
Better start saving.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spoke to the dealer today, very apologetic. I pointed out that they need to get their system in order (you make your booking via their call centre - will not make that mistake in future).

I am going in tomorrow to get the nut changed as it arrived today will be done while I wait, within 30 minutes.

Looking forward to checking out the 5 door in the showroom, not been in one yet. Every cloud has a ............ :)

·
Registered
966 Posts
It's a 5 min job, I was almost embarrased that I had to go up for them to do it.

Be sure to take plenty time looking around the 5 door though, drink plenty of their coffee and eat plenty choccie biccies. :D

Best not to mention the virgins thing, that's maybe dealer specific.....

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, twas a bit of a joke getting them to replace a nut but the car now has the recall on it cleared off.

They took pics of the door rub and sent them to MINI. Sales guy says MINI are aware of the issue, new cars in.the dealer are still displaying the start of the rubbing. 5his could be an expensive fix for MINI.

Saw the challenge 210 car, looks fantastic. Liked the 5 door, a bit weird seeing a MINI with door frames. At least they won't have the paint rub as the door seals are totally different.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts