Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a call from the dealer to say there was a recall on my car relating to the emergency wheel bolt.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Do you mean the space saver spare wheel? I have one of those, but never tried to access it yet... I keep meaning to, just in case I have to use it one day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Berty - some cars were sent out with the wrong key to loosen the wheel (from what I know). Some cars it is just a check to make sure it's the right key, others it is actually replacing with the correct key

·
Registered
890 Posts
Do you mean the space saver spare wheel? I have one of those, but never tried to access it yet... I keep meaning to, just in case I have to use it one day.
I know what you mean!
I have checked it is there but not tried to remove it yet.

Should do so really, if I get a puncture it is bound to be a cold,wet night and not ideal for trying to work out how to do it.

I'll check the key thing right away though!

·
Registered
890 Posts
My key gadget seems to be the correct one as it fits the spare wheel tray operating nut, so hopefully the recall will not apply. (Cooper made in May 2014)
Unless the recall is about some other aspect of the spare arrangement.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Just got the recall letter. It is to do with the retaining plate that holds the spare wheel in position and the nut needs replacing, 30minute job.
Pat

·
Registered
890 Posts
Sounds likely though my nut/tray arrangement seems to work OK.

I am still waiting for news of the airbag recall which does apply to me, maybe they will do both at the same time...or is that too sensible!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just booked my baby in for the recall issue on spare wheel locking plate.Planned for Fast Track so no waiting all day etc..Maybe ALL cars with spare wheel option will be recalled.Mine was built first week in June.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just been to the dealers to get this sorted, was only there 30 mins and I think most of this time was spent doing a safety check of the car. Anyway the recall relates to the retaining nut that holds the spare wheel which can work itself loose over time. I think they have just put on a different nut.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I contacted my dealer about the airbag recall and he said my car was on the list for the spare wheel fix but there was no mention of the airbag issue.

He said I could book it in, but I will wait for the official letter, which apparently is on its way, in case more than one recall may be mentioned on it and I don't want to go back more often than needed!

·
Registered
82 Posts
So... are you getting notified about the recall issues or are you contacting the dealers and asking?
Got a phone call from the Dealer to-day for the spare wheel retaining nut recall they want between ½ & 1 hour for the job but as stated it includes a safety check.

My Cooper was built in mid July and when collecting it I made sure that the salesman showed me the procedure for its removal which is quite a fiddle. But it's a lot safer than a small air comp & goo which won't help with a shredded tyre.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I'm impressed that your salesman could show you the procedure! Mine wasn't sure whether the wheel was on the inside or the outside :)

No communication yet for me...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts