Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been contacted today and told that the car needs to go in to have the starter connector greased.

·
Registered
72 Posts
This is the first ever new car that I've ordered where the "honeymoon" (aka Beta testing) period has proven the vehicle.
Wondering now if I've made a judgement error.
My Cooper is due to be with me on June 9th (Not yet built) & I hope that all these "niggles" have been sorted.
In fact they're much more than niggles.
BMW should be ashamed & embarrassed with this drop in standards.
Fingers crossed that Washy's fault is not common place & I also hope that all is well with his starter.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently it is a quick job and can be done at our convenience. Will know more,when I book the car in tomorrow.
This should not be an issue on cars not yet delivered to customers I would guess.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I was just away to say I hope they give mine a once over with the WD40 BEFORE I collect it!! :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
"Starter connection needing to be greased" must be one of the most vague and hard to picture reasons for a recall out there!

Electrical connection, mechanical connection or what?

Electrical connections can have dielectric grease applied to prevent corrosion of the terminal so maybe that could be it, someone forgot to do it in the factory.

Being quite a radical mechanical redesign, I expect there will be a few of these problems to sort out in the first few months.

My first Toyota IQ which was one of the first in the UK was subject to three or four recalls and a couple of unofficial fixes, and Toyota generally know what they are doing.

Unfortunate.

let's hope we are spared too much hassle with our Minis, if we ever see them!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whatever it is. It is not a biggie. Got the car booked in at 3.30 on Saturday and they say it will take a few minutes.

Not even long enough for me to order something I shouldn't....:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Whatever it is. It is not a biggie. Got the car booked in at 3.30 on Saturday and they say it will take a few minutes.

Now that would be an expensive recall :) Mines already been back for a fix, they had him for 3 days :(

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Apart from the unfortunate Kitchen unit collision, ours has been good. Past 3000 miles now too.

On a side note the exhaust is starting to do its thing now as well

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Wow! Your dealer is opened on Saturday?

Here (Montreal/Canada) it's Monday-Friday and, even Friday it's only half-day ... :(

That means that if there is some recalls, I'll need to take some time off from work.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm not too worried about problems with the car. Mine is well past 2,000 miles and things are going very well. :)

Washy, good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Here (Montreal/Canada) it's Monday-Friday and, even Friday it's only half-day ... :(

That means that if there is some recalls, I'll need to take some time off from work.
can't you book it for pickup?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Pick-up?? What do you mean? Something like "they" pick-up the car at your home/work and they bring it back later?! That would be awesome but we don't have that kind of service either.

The most we can get is that you bring your car to the dealer and they'll give you a lift up to the nearest metro/subway/tube station. They can also lend you another car but I don't know if there are fees associated with that.

When I had my Audi, they were charging $ for the loaner.

can't you book it for pickup?

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quite often have our cars serviced on a Saturday. They have a great while you wait service with decent coffee and a cafe where you can get a great bacon sandwich...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All done. It was literally a check and some grease on the starter connector. At the dealer for less than an hour in total.

Just long enough to have a good look at an S1000RR and a chat to my BMW sales guy who was trying to sell me an M4:eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.