Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I won't be hauling anything heavier than a bike rack or maybe a small box trailer, but I am keen to find a professional and reputable hitch installer.

Any leads would be gratefully received!

Thanks

DJ

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
That will be slightly tricky as there wont be many installers out there who would know the mini well to perform this. Best to call a few companies, talk to them and see if they are hesitant to do the job or are not sure where the mount ponts are. Going to a mini dealership might not be ideal either.
Good luck.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That will be slightly tricky as there wont be many installers out there who would know the mini well to perform this. Best to call a few companies, talk to them and see if they are hesitant to do the job or are not sure where the mount ponts are. Going to a mini dealership might not be ideal either.
Good luck.
Thanks mate. I think you've nicely encapsulated all of the issues/thinking I've been going through.

Seems the Aussie market for MINI towing hutches is simply too small for the usual players (eg Hayman Reece) to bother with a solution. Completely different story in places like the USA. Numerous manufacturers with different towing packages.

But there's no way I'll risk my warranty and/or breach Australian motor vehicle compliance standards with a self-import and DIY installation :-(

DJ

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yeah it's a little trickier to mount a more conventional tow bar on a Cooper S/JCW due to the centre exhaust design. I know it's possible but just not too sure where exactly.

Congrats on your new car by the way, see you on the roads :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update.

I received a call today from Penny at Sydney-based installers "Rally Speed". They are an authorised Hayman Reece reseller and Hayman Reece referred my web enquiry to them for review and response.

I was initially informed that a towing hitch is "simply not possible on the third generation Minis because of the centre placement of the exhaust".

When I highlighted availability of models such as the Mini Mania concealed hitch the story changed. She went on to tell me that the reason a Mini towing hitch wasn't available was due to "Australia's strict design and certification requirements for towing equipment".

The call ended shortly after that.

Hmmmm

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
508 Posts
Sounds like it falls into the too hard basket.
Probably your next best bet if you want to go down is to get an engineer to design one for the mini f56 but that will cost.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like it falls into the too hard basket.
Probably your next best bet if you want to go down is to get an engineer to design one for the mini f56 but that will cost.
Aye. For the number of times I'll use it, I think I'll just grab a GoGet if I need to carry anything big around or do an Ikea pickup :)

DJ

·
Registered
478 Posts
One option to get the factory bike rack, which mounts to two towing eye fittings on the back of the car. You will only have one welded nut for a towing eye if car didn't have the bike rack option speced, but you could get the nut as a spare part, and get a good body shop to remove the rear bumper, weld the addition nut on, paint and refit the bumper. The new nut and paint would be 100% hidden when the bike rack is not in use.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Yes BMW aren't homologating the f56 for a towbar at all although the new Clubman is and therefore will have mounting points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts