Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys not sure if there has been any other discussion elsewhere but wanted to ask what RON Mini recommend for unleaded petrol in the Cooper S?

Skoda recommend 98 for the Fabia VRs - I've noticed marginal gains on fuel economy with Momentum and V Power Nitro +. Has anyone here done a comparison?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Pet subject of mine.

Minimum RON for a MCS is officially 95, however, if your engine is turbocharged, the benefits of reducing knock (and the associated "micro-damage") by using a higher octane fuel are well documented. It will cost the average driver an extra £80 a year (ish) to use V-Power or similar so why not?

My background is in engineering btw, I do actually know what I'm talking about...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pet subject of mine.

Minimum RON for a MCS is officially 95, however, if your engine is turbocharged, the benefits of reducing knock (and the associated "micro-damage") by using a higher octane fuel are well documented. It will cost the average driver an extra £80 a year (ish) to use V-Power or similar so why not?

My background is in engineering btw, I do actually know what I'm talking about...
Thanks for that - I won't get rid of my Shell card just yet then!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I find my MCS is a bit 'lumpy' with 98/99 ron. Lots of what I would describe as flat spots but I wonder if it's unburnt fuel. Mine certainly runs better on 95.

but the fact it says 95 ron in the fuel cap, is recommended? Our Boxster says 98.......

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
I've always run mine on add a cheapest, with the occasional v power nitro for a great. My mr2 mk2 did 160000 miles on it! However I am aware direct injection engines valves can't be cleaned by the fuel so you need to feel performance benefits I suppose! Or better mpg?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I tried BP Ultimate for a while, with a little increase in range but not enough to justify the extra spend. Most of my driving is UK motorways and as the MCS is fast as it is so it was hard to see performance gains. You can't argue that its better for your engine though, but then i have a warranty to cover engine issues. As i know to well, see other post where i need a new engine, thus new car... JCW :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.