Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collected JCW over the weekend and noticed once home that the detail above front bumper on our car is chrome and not RED.

I assumed that the Red detail was standard on all the JCW's and can't remember seeing an option to choose the colour / finish.....very strange.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Never seen one any other colour than red. I wonder, do you have a chrome "pack" or similar on your car ? If so maybe it's that. But in general, I have only ever seen the grille detail in red.

As mentioned above, a visit to your dealer is required (that's almost as bad as getting a JCW without a red roof!!! :) :) )

·
Registered
41 Posts
Never seen one any other colour than red. I wonder, do you have a chrome "pack" or similar on your car ? If so maybe it's that. But in general, I have only ever seen the grille detail in red.

As mentioned above, a visit to your dealer is required (that's almost as bad as getting a JCW without a red roof!!! :) :) )

A quick run on the MINI UK configurator does show that chrome line exterior removed the red detail, and swaps it for chrome. I think you maybe right.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
This is the reason I told my mum to not option up the Chrome Line Exterior because it deletes the red bar on the grille, plus I think the black tailgate looks better!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I believe this is the chief area of mis-communication (I.e. disconnect) between the online configuration & the MINI sales person! Before online configuration, dealers had to know how to explain things to potential buyers. I know I'm not alone in having being confused when specing my MINI, and I also know the configuration is wrong sometimes.

I'd express your dissatisfaction with what happened, and get to the bottom of why you didn't have clear explanations regarding your spec. And blaming it on the computer is not acceptable!

Hopefully your dealer will make some corrections for you.

John

Reactions: Steve P

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I believe this is the chief area of mis-communication (I.e. disconnect) between the online configuration & the MINI sales person! Before online configuration, dealers had to know how to explain things to potential buyers. I know I'm not alone in having being confused when specing my MINI, and I also know the configuration is wrong sometimes.

I'd express your dissatisfaction with what happened, and get to the bottom of why you didn't have clear explanations regarding your spec. And blaming it on the computer is not acceptable!

Hopefully your dealer will make some corrections for you.

John
To quote the online configurator and more than likely the brochure... Please note the screenshot below is specific to the JCW as configured on the MINI UK website, this is why when speccing a car you should play with the online configurator and see whats included in each additional option you add!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Brandon you'll be best to know this, but my Midnight Black Cooper is coming without the Chrome Line Exterior package - will the tailgate be the same black as the JCW or not? If not I think I may have to order one...

For the OP (sorry I hijacked!) @tweedbean has a JCW grill for sale in the classifieds section if you want a cheaper way of getting your red line back! He also posted a how to on swapping - seems to be a 15 minute job.

·
Registered
457 Posts
As you can see on the Dubai launch vehicles they are all specced with Chrome Line Exterior option.
Do you have chrome on tailgate as well?
You have to ask for Chromeline option so if you didn't the Dealer will have to sort this out. Does this option show up on your order sheet?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
As you can see on the Dubai launch vehicles they are all specced with Chrome Line Exterior option.
You have to ask for Chromeline option so if you didn't the Dealer will have to sort this out. Does this option show up on your order sheet?

Ha! Davo, I thought of those pics as well...thanks for digging them up.

MINI won't allow certain color combinations (like red with VO), but they readily switch out obvious JCW exterior identifying marks, such as the red grill in the front! Go figure! :D

John

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Brandon you'll be best to know this, but my Midnight Black Cooper is coming without the Chrome Line Exterior package - will the tailgate be the same black as the JCW or not? If not I think I may have to order one...

For the OP (sorry I hijacked!) @tweedbean has a JCW grill for sale in the classifieds section if you want a cheaper way of getting your red line back! He also posted a how to on swapping - seems to be a 15 minute job.
2015 models used to come with a brushed aluminium tailgate segment and depending on what model variant you got, the grill slats would also be this brushed aluminium. Which in my opinion looked shite so it was music to my ears when I heard they'd changed it!

2016 model year cars now get a Midnight Black tailgate segment along with Midnight Black grille slats if you've ordered a One or a Cooper. Also you'll have a black gloss piece around your rear foglight, which would be chrome had you specified the Chrome Line Exterior. Oh and not to forget had you specified the CLE you'd also get an extra piece of chrome around the bottom grille segment of your front bumper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hi, had a quick look at classified section. Grille is same as mine, with the chrome detail.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Hi Davo.

Thanks. I'd spec'd the chrome line exterior assuming it was for the light surrounds, grille surround and detail around the bodywork. To me the red grille detail was a JCW thing and wouldn't be omitted. Frustrating but true.

Yep. The tailgate has chrome detail also!

·
Registered
136 Posts

I'm not entirely sure the 15 minute swap time is correct - I looked into swapping my silver grille to a gloss black one and it turns out you have to dismantle the whole front end.

Theres loads of the JCW grilles on ebay for as little as £50 - presumably bought by people that thought it was the same procedure as all the previous models, and then found out the hard way.

I ended up doing mine with 3M wrap ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.