Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've got a 2014 Mini base with navigation package and rear view camera.

Is there a way to get some warning for red light cameras? Like Garmin or Tomtom have on their GPS but integrated in the car or maybe linked with the mini connected app on iphone?

Any solutions that would avoid having the old trusty Garmin in the car to remind of red light camera would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi all,
I've got a 2014 Mini base with navigation package and rear view camera.

Is there a way to get some warning for red light cameras? Like Garmin or Tomtom have on their GPS but integrated in the car or maybe linked with the mini connected app on iphone?

Any solutions that would avoid having the old trusty Garmin in the car to remind of red light camera would be great.

Thanks
Does this request imply that you don't stop for red lights if there is no camera

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
120 Posts
While I can't speak for crenninger's driving habits, there are valid reasons to want to know where the red light cameras aside from wanting to run red lights. Some traffic lights with cameras have shortened yellow cycles, there are various news stories about this. Here's one from December 2014.

There are also intersections where the city has a normal yellow cycle that is too short to avoid being caught by the red light camera. Here's a story from February 2014.

Given the safety concern with having less time to stop than you were expecting, I don't fault people for wanting to know where these are.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
While I can't speak for crenninger's driving habits, there are valid reasons to want to know where the red light cameras aside from wanting to run red lights. Some traffic lights with cameras have shortened yellow cycles, there are various news stories about this. Here's one from December 2014.

There are also intersections where the city has a normal yellow cycle that is too short to avoid being caught by the red light camera. Here's a story from February 2014.

Given the safety concern with having less time to stop than you were expecting, I don't fault people for wanting to know where these are.
Plus there's the fact that people are idiots and if you stop to avoid running the light, some fool in an SUV is going to come up your rear end because he was tailgating you.

At least in Arizona. Your Mileage May Vary in more civilized locations.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't planning on a discussion regarding the benefits or not of such warning, just if it's technically possible with the Mini Navigation / Phone Connect app.

I guess it's not then.

Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I wasn't planning on a discussion regarding the benefits or not of such warning, just if it's technically possible with the Mini Navigation / Phone Connect app.

I guess it's not then.

Thanks
I am not sure about the Mini Navigation or Phone Connet App, but I know there are a few apps for iPhone and Android that have the red light/speed trap cameras. Waze, Trapster, and others.

Hopefully, my Mini comes next week, I will try it out and see what I can figure out - looking to dodge the speed cameras mostly :)

Reactions: TraceyC
1 - 9 of 9 Posts