Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so MINI have given the JCW Countryman and Clubman a boost to 225kW and 450Nm (301HP and 331 ft lbs), and the limited edition 3 door GP3 gets these specs too. The regular 3 door Cooper JCW plods along with 170kW and 320Nm. What is the likelihood that regular JCW Cooper models will get the upgraded 225kW tune of the B48 in future? I'm in the market for a new JCW 3 door in coming months and, to be honest, pretty happy with the existing specs... but I'd hate to pull the trigger soon only to find that the standard 3 door Cooper JCWs get the upgraded engines soon after.

Do you think MINI are likely to put the 225kW tune in the regular (non GP) Cooper JCWs in the near future? It seems odd to reserve it for the very limited GP cars, and let the uglier, heavier, Countryman and Clubman enjoy the more powerful engine option whilst the iconic 3 door makes do with the lower tune for years to come.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
429 Posts
With companies like Volvo now restricting top speeds and more and more emission regulation you could probably guess that the future holds more hybrid and electric drive trains. If you can get 4s 0-60 times very easily with electric why would you keep investing money an the engineering it takes for an ICE to achieve the same.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Do you think MINI are likely to put the 225kW tune in the regular (non GP) Cooper JCWs in the near future? It seems odd to reserve it for the very limited GP cars, and let the uglier, heavier, Countryman and Clubman enjoy the more powerful engine option whilst the iconic 3 door makes do with the lower tune for years to come.
MINI have already said it won't happen. WhiteRoofRadio interviewed a guy from MINI back in January. It is reserved for GP only in the F56.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
512 Posts
300bhp is easily achieved with a remap on a JCW
Mini wont want to make a regular JCW as powerful as their flagship model as it would take sale away by people wanting the power but not the looks of the GP

·
Registered
6 Posts
With companies like Volvo now restricting top speeds and more and more emission regulation you could probably guess that the future holds more hybrid and electric drive trains. If you can get 4s 0-60 times very easily with electric why would you keep investing money an the engineering it takes for an ICE to achieve the same.
Not everyone likes EV though. I still don't think EV is the future, surely at some point synthetic petrol will come along?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts
Anything that burns, with carbon in it, is on borrowed time. I'm enjoying my JCW, but my next car will probably be electric. I just need mini to do an electric JCW with more power than the SE and double the range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts