Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on removing the rear bumper on Cooper? I’m changing it to JCW bumper with single exhaust (like the 1499GT and Coopers with the Aerokit).

I’m concerned about the fog light and snapping the plastic around wheel arches.

Thank you

·
Registered
966 Posts
Any tips on removing the rear bumper on Cooper? I’m changing it to JCW bumper with single exhaust (like the 1499GT and Coopers with the Aerokit).

I’m concerned about the fog light and snapping the plastic around wheel arches.

Thank you

Do you have the new bumper? If you do you're halfway there, as this will show you where all the screws etc are. For the wheel arches, invest in a little set of plastic trim tools, this will make it easy to prise them away from the car without damaging either them or the car. Fog light will probably be a simple multi-plug, so like the fronts an extra pair of hands to hold the bumper while your detach it etc.

Get some before and after pics ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve ordered it yes so keeping fingers crossed it arrives in one piece!

I’ve realised have to remove rear lights to fit it ? nightmare as i has trouble installing Union Jack lights last year the screws hard to get out - (seemed to be the only one who had trouble though) and didn’t want to have to remove them ever again lol

Anyone know the exact tool I need to remove screws?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So today I changed over to the JCW rear bumper and love it.

I found the trickiest thing was the 8 bolts under the bumper and the bolt inside attached to the bodywork really tricky!
It took about 1.5 hours from start to finish so longer than I thought.

You have to remove the light surrounds and then the light units to actually fit the bumper.
And you have to lift up the rear wheel arch trims to unscrew bolt on each side which is tricky to put back I thought.

The fog light is simple to remove and replace just be careful doing it, it’s just a wire with a bulb on the end screws into new bumper.

Glad it’s done know though!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will put them on newminilondon on Instagram as I haven’t got anywhere to host my pictures sorry.

It was a lot harder than people said though but with the right tools and patience it can be done.

I would also recommend people before they remove bumper to get a pressure washer under the bumper and back of the car before taking it off to get rid of the dirt as when your unscrewing the bumper from
the bottom lots of dirt falls onto your face lol

Oh and would say don’t forget to put something soft like cardboard in the ground to put bumpers on while removing as I scratched the old bumper putting it upside down on the driveway which was clever of me...(I may put this on eBay not sure if I can be bothered though as wont get much for it unless I do a collect only post which will be easier I guess)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Trunk Automotive exterior
C'mon man, where's the pics.... or it didn't happen /forum/images/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Perhaps wlondoner is going to bundle all of the pics into one big post. Could call it a bumper edition. Happy Easter.
Ok I did it, I’m a little stupid and didn’t take a before picture too excited I think lol...I have pics of it before somewhere though so will post later.

Here is some for now...not the best pics as screenshots originals as file the too big:

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper 1.5T 2 door automatic
12 Posts
View attachment 64531

Ok I did it, I’m a little stupid and didn’t take a before picture too excited I think lol...I have pics of it before somewhere though so will post later.

Here is some for now...not the best pics as screenshots originals as file the too big:
That looks amazing. Well done. Could you please provide me with part number so I can enquire at my local dealer if they can get it for me. Alternatively do you have a link from where you bought it so I can look into it?

·
Registered
F56 2-Door
24 Posts
That looks amazing. Well done. Could you please provide me with part number so I can enquire at my local dealer if they can get it for me? Alternatively, do you have a link from where you bought it so I can look into it?
Hey, I know this thread is a bit old at this point, but I am very curious myself. Where did you find the bumper and could you provide a link?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts