Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my local dealership has installed my personalised number plates now this has finally been given the thumbs up by the DVLA. It took over a month, yet by DVLA standards apparently that's efficient :mad:!

Anyway getting to the point, the rear number plate has been installed far too high and therefore I need to lower this. Easier said than done, they're stuck on and won't budge when I try to pull them. I don't want to try too hard, as I may damage the plate or even worse the car itself! The plates are different to what I've seen in the past, as they're metal backed with an acrylic front and thus bend easily.

Has anyone had any experience of removing 'stuck-on' number plates, or any tips at all? On my previous cars, the plates have been screwed in place.

Thanks.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hello, assuming you've got space between the plate and the boot handle, get a length fishing line, thread or dental floss in from top and bottom, then it's a sort of gentle sawing motion pulling in from the side as you go. This should cut through the sticky pads, and your fingers too.

Did you supply the plates? They don't sound like the normal dealer ones.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, assuming you've got space between the plate and the boot handle, get a length fishing line, thread or dental floss in from top and bottom, then it's a sort of gentle sawing motion pulling in from the side as you go. This should cut through the sticky pads, and your fingers too.

Did you supply the plates? They don't sound like the normal dealer ones.
Ok thanks I'll give that a go :).

No, all dealer supplied. Tbh I've never seen anything quite like it before, very sturdy. The dealer said they swapped over to that type as their old ones were delaminating.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Awaiting my Cherished Transfer to go through, its well and truly been a month and I've still not received my V5C! The DVLA definitely suck at efficiency, hopefully though I won't have this issue with the plates. Just out of curiosity do you prefer plates with GB on them or without?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Awaiting my Cherished Transfer to go through, its well and truly been a month and I've still not received my V5C! The DVLA definitely suck at efficiency, hopefully though I won't have this issue with the plates. Just out of curiosity do you prefer plates with GB on them or without?
Nothing like a new and improved service from the DVLA.

I live near to Carlisle and when changing my plate from car to car it took less than ½ hour at the local office to process the paperwork, then they decided to close all the local DVLA offices around the country and centralise it to improve the systems efficiency.

Now if you've only waited a month you are lucky, it's when you wait a month or so and they decide you've made a mistake and they return the forms.
It stinks:mad:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if my dealer uses this type now, my back ones screwed on and it's looking a bit ropey around one of the holes
Mike, it's the first time I've come across this sort of plate. Given the metal back plate, I'd say drilling would be less favourable than just sticking with decent tape.

Brandon, personally I prefer my plates w/o the GB/EU logo. I just think them look much smarter to the eye w/o. I don't plan on driving across the EU anytime soon either...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DaveT, for some reason it won't let me quote your post :|.

I agree with you... the DVLA are dire. By closing the local offices things have gone from bad to far worse! I just see it as a cost cutting exercise rather than an efficiency improvement. It would also seem the new fandango system is living up to the DVLA standards we've come to expect! It took them two attempts to get the tax refund of my old vehicle correct. The sum on the first cheque was too little; the second cheque was correct (once it arrived) and marked against the registration of my old vehicle post-cherished retention as you'd expect. However to my surprise, I then received a third cheque for a totally random sum marked against my cherished registration :eek:!

Jeez, I thought a month was bad. I feel for you guys!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Well I finally got my plates installed, I am so annoyed that I didn't check they were fitted correctly before I left... But on a serious note you just can't get the staff these days, who the f*** thinks its ok to leave it like this?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I finally got my plates installed, I am so annoyed that I didn't check they were fitted correctly before I left... But on a serious note you just can't get the staff these days, who the f*** thinks its ok to leave it like this?

Jeez, I thought my rear one was bad. At least it's stuck on straight, albeit slightly too high. I notice yours have been drilled also. Hope you get it sorted buddy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Jeez, I thought my rear one was bad. At least it's stuck on straight, albeit slightly too high. I notice yours have been drilled also. Hope you get it sorted buddy!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Got it sorted yesterday... I was going to get my windows tinted with them, but I refuse now as I'm sure they'd fudge that up too!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got it sorted yesterday... I was going to get my windows tinted with them, but I refuse now as I'm sure they'd fudge that up too!
Ah great stuff :). I sorted mine too, getting the number plate off was a huge hassle though.

Yeh, after seeing their handy work I'd be reluctant too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts