Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ☺

My orange centre caps have arrived but I can't figure out how to remove the current ones! My friend suggested removing the wheels but that seems like a lot of work for a simple job.

Is there an easier way?

Cheers
Ash

·
Registered
646 Posts
Nah don't go to all that effort! I did it last week - get a sharp knife and cover it in masking tape so as not to do any damage, and slide it down the side of the cap - it will instantly pop out enough to just then pull it away. Easy peasy and no damage!

Let's have a pic when they're on!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Removing the wheel isn't that much hassle... Just if you're like me with twig arms you may need to sit on the wrench to get the bolts loose! I replaced the centre caps on my R56 as they started to bubble, took me all of fifteen minutes for all four wheels. I'd suggest doing that as you literally just push from the inside and they pop out - I wouldn't go anywhere near my wheels with a knife.

·
Registered
478 Posts
With the proper tools and technique removing a wheel is easy. I actually taught it to scouts a few months ago, and they are only 12. Agree sharp knife and tape does not sound like it will be a 100% safe solution, but I am sure some would get away with it. I am also uber protective of my cars, the dealer isn't allowed to wash mine, including during the PDI.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the proper tools and technique removing a wheel is easy. I actually taught it to scouts a few months ago, and they are only 12. Agree sharp knife and tape does not sound like it will be a 100% safe solution, but I am sure some would get away with it. I am also uber protective of my cars, the dealer isn't allowed to wash mine, including during the PDI.
I think I'll go with removing the wheels, my friend has a ramp I can use so I might as well make use of it!

I too am protective of my car, very careful of how/where I park and what I wash it with! I worry a little too much, after having someone key my complete passenger side early on in ownership. On the odd occasion I have took it through a high quality car wash (IMO - scratch free technology). Even if it does leave some marks, it's nothing that an annual detail can't fix :)

Ash

·
Registered
646 Posts
Use something plastic if you don't want to use a knife. It's easy and fool proof without taking the wheels off - that seems complete overkill as it's a 30 second job. Each to their own though.. I'm the one who took my eBay bargain mirror caps to Mini for them to fit because I didn't dare ha

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I removed the wheels to do mine. It's a regular practice for me when I do a complete cleaning. Side note I also use a small amount of anti-seize on the lug bolt threads to keep rust away and get a good true torque on them with a torque wrench:nerd:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I've seen people use a screwdriver or plastic spudger/trim removal tool and they pop off in no time.

Reactions: bjblyth
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.