Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to remove the complete headlamp assembly? There are four places to unscrew to remove. The side is easy since it's "just a bolt". The three others are some sort of compound clip with a Torx screw. It doesn't NOT simply unscrew, there is some magic to do first. My buddy is calling it the "big mac" clip since it looks so complicated and it still retains a square nut at one end.

Any help appreciated!

It's #9 in the picture, though it's far oversimplified.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
Just from the picture, lookse like 8 is the retainer (the nut) and 9 is the absorber, a bit of rubber to absorb vibrations.
The bolt itself could actually be held in by a bit of loctite, self retaining glue to prevent it from coming loose. Try a bit of tension on undoing the bolt, if you do get one out, see if there is a funny colour on the thread, if so then that is what they have used to assemble.
To help try to tighten the bolt a bit more before undoing it.
Be very conscious not to exceed the torq of the bolt otherwise you might shear off the head which is not very good. This part comes down to experience.

·
Registered
2 Posts
replacing headlight assembly

The other three bolt/nut assemblies are adjustable so that the entire headlight assembly can be "aimed". Thus the combination of retainer clips to hold the bolt, the adjustable center piece, and to mount the entire assembly to the frame where the headlight assembly is mounted. The main headache is that these three "aiming" bolt/nut assemblies are screwed in place with a locktight compound. I was able to undo two of the three "aiming" bolt/nut assemblies without too much resistance. But the third assembly at the bottom of the headlight (the most inaccessible "aiming" bolt/nut assembly) ended up with a "spinning" nut inside. So the screw never unscrewed. I've been working on trying to get to the back of the "aiming" bolt/nut assembly to "grab" the nut with locking pliers but it is very hard to do. Once I get that final "aiming" bolt/nut adjusting assembly off, I can gain access to the wiring assembly for the fog light below...which was my main goal. I know there's an access to the bulbs for the fog light from inside the wheel well but I need to get to the wiring and not just the fog light bulbs. Sure seems strange that you need three "aiming" bolt/nut assemblies as two of them would seem to handle lateral and vertical aiming adjustments for the headlights. This is for a 2015 F56 Mini Cooper 2 door hatchback model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.