Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody from this community! I need your help.

I own a 2018 Mini F55 with 4 doors. I'm trying to upgrade the Head Unit Basic with an NBT EVO bought from ebay.
The original MINI Radio I own now looks like this:

Flight instruments Cockpit Motor vehicle Gauge Speedometer

Wiring harness connection to the car is a 42 pin plug, which looks like this:

Hood Motor vehicle Audio equipment Electronic engineering Computer hardware

Gadget Font Sharing Electronic device Auto part

The new NBT EVO unit has a 40 pin quadlock connector and I will have to make an adaptation from the 42-pin cable to the 40-pin cable.

Can someone help me with a description / signal type for the 42 pin connector? What type of connector is this? Is there any cable adapter already made for this purpose?

Thank you very much in advance!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just out of curiosity, wouldn't it be easier to remove the pins from the 42 pin and put them in a 40 pin?

still need the wiring diagram of course...
For sure it will be easier to replace 42 pin connector with 40 one.
But I think the cable is a little too short and I will have to extend it somehow... :rolleyes:
I will see when I will unmount the dashboard again.

Finally, I found the diagrams and now I'm working to identify all the pins. Hard work...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adrian, thanks for the post, I've been looking at one of those myself, any success with the installation?
when you say the head-unit basic do you mean the orange one?
Not ready for the moment. I was pretty busy the last few days and I'm still working at the wiring diagram.

When I said "head-unit basic" I meant that I have the Basic Radio on the car, some call it "Media Display Radio MINI 2".
The radio looks like this, the wires are connected directly to the radio through the 42-pin connector, and it is a compact body with the display.

Motor vehicle Yellow Automotive lighting Line Font

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not ready for the moment. I was pretty busy the last few days and I'm still working at the wiring diagram.

When I said "head-unit basic" I meant that I have the Basic Radio on the car, some call it "Media Display Radio MINI 2".
The radio looks like this, the wires are connected directly to the radio through the 42-pin connector, and it is a compact body with the display.

View attachment 73375
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
96 Posts
It looks a lot like the connector on the HK amplifier. If you get something like this. and then get a bmw quadlock extension cable from ebay , you can make it into an adapter cable. Unfortunately, Newtis.info has been closed, so you won't be able to find the pinouts there, but if you can find someone who has BMW ISTA software, you can look up the schematics. Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It looks a lot like the connector on the HK amplifier. If you get something like this. and then get a bmw quadlock extension cable from ebay , you can make it into an adapter cable. Unfortunately, Newtis.info has been closed, so you won't be able to find the pinouts there, but if you can find someone who has BMW ISTA software, you can look up the schematics. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply!
Indeed, it is the same with the 42-pin HK connector. (y)
I already ordered from ebay few days ago a 42 pin connector like the one you showed me.

In case someone has the same problem as me, I put below what I discovered so far, pin assignments for 42 plug connector (A412 * 1B in newtis.info) and the correspondent in quadlock 40 pin connector.
Working in progress, at the moment it is still not clear to me what happens to pins 31 and 32... :unsure:

42 Pin connector40 pin quadlock corespColourTypeDescription /Signal typeConnection /Measuring information
115RT/GEEPower supply, terminal 30BFuse F61
21BL/BRALow frequency signal, rear rightComponents corresponding to equipment
35BL/RTALow frequency signal, rear rightComponents corresponding to equipment
44SW/RTALow frequency signal, rear leftComponents corresponding to equipment
58SW/BRALow frequency signal, rear leftComponents corresponding to equipment
6------Not used
7------Not used
8------Not used
9------Not used
10------Not used
11------Not used
12------Not used
13------Not used
14------Not used
15------Not used
16------Not used
17------Not used
18------Not used
19------Not used
20------Not used
21------Not used
2212BR/ORMGroundGround point
232BL/BRALow frequency signal, front rightComponents corresponding to equipment
246BL/RTALow frequency signal, front rightComponents corresponding to equipment
253SW/RTALow frequency signal, front leftComponents corresponding to equipment
267SW/BRALow frequency signal, front leftComponents corresponding to equipment
2733MShieldMicrophone
28------Not used
29------Not used
3013SWARadio signal ONHiFi amplifier
31BL/GNEData lineCentral instrument
32BR/GNEGroundCentral instrument
3323MShieldReversing camera
3421GNEFBAS signalReversing camera
3517WSESignal Microphone MIC+Microphone
3622GNESignal Microphone MIC-Microphone
37------Not used
38------Not used
399WSE/AK-CAN4 data busK-CAN4 bus connection
4011VIE/AK-CAN4 data busK-CAN4 bus connection
41------Not used
4224WSEFBAS signalReversing camera

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think that’s a bus connection, those go to the radio buttons I think.

See if you can find the drawings (not pinouts) of your current setup? It’ll be on there

·
Registered
96 Posts
I dug up some schematics:

I think this is the part you're looking for. Those two wires are located in a different connector, which I think goes into the back of the display.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Back to project after a long time. My Mini still waiting to retrofit the HU... :)

Does anybody know where to connect pins 31 - 32 from the 42 plug connector into the small connector from above? 31 goes to 1 and 32 goes to 3? I can't figure it out...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Back to project after a long time. My Mini still waiting to retrofit the HU... :)

Does anybody know where to connect pins 31 - 32 from the 42 plug connector into the small connector from above? 31 goes to 1 and 32 goes to 3? I can't figure it out...
It looks like the schematics are not very clear on this. BL/GN definitely goes to 1, but not sure about BR/GN.
What you can do is check if it’s connected to ground with a multimeter. If it’s not, you can connect it to ground anywhere. If it is connected to ground, you can probably leave it disconnected, since there is also a ground connection to the screen in A12*1B.

I can have a look the next time I have to remove a screen

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 73490
It looks like the schematics are not very clear on this. BL/GN definitely goes to 1, but not sure about BR/GN.
I wanted to revive this topic as i am getting ready to go down this same rabbit hole of upgrading from a BIS to an NBT EVO. I should have pulled and checked my factory radio BEFORE ordering all the new iDrive, screen, and NBT EVO first, but oh well i guess its live, learn and share time :)

Thanks in advance for any additional pointers you might be willing to share

·
Registered
11 Posts

You guys are talking like its rocket science. It is possible bis to evo… it just costs an arm and a leg…
If you have no electronic skills like me it may as well be rocket science. I'm really surprised a company hasn't came up with a solution yet you can buy off the shelf. I'm happy to pay for an install I just can't find anyone willing to do it here in the UK yet.

·
Registered
Countryman F60 JCW LCI 306 HP
585 Posts
The adapter isnt an 100% fit so you still need to modify it while fitting. And after its fit you need to add wires. I can do the retrofit here in NL for you if you come over haha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts