Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

has anybody on here switched the halogen DRL- Fog lights in the lower bumper of an F56 for some of the aftermarket halo LED units? The ones I've seen come with a pack to stop canbus errors but I can't find any information on how straight forward they are to fit or how well they work.

This is the type of thing I'm looking at DRL FOG conversion

Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might just bit the bullet and buy a set. Replacing the 3 bulbs in the DRL- Fogs with white halogens can quickly up the cost on the stock units and I hear the stock ones are prone to corrosion and misting issues too.

The only part I am unsure of is how easy the washer reservoir is to remove from underneath the wing on an F56 as it covers one of the light units. After viewing a video of an R56 removing the washer reservoir they took half the front of the car off

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a mod I will do it for sure, I will be checking this thread.
My LED kit arrived today so hopefully I will get them fitted this week if it stays dry.

I got them from Kill all Chrome who have a 10% discount on at the moment DRL LED kit and free next day delivery in the UK but they only have 2 left now

·
Registered
46 Posts
My LED kit arrived today so hopefully I will get them fitted this week if it stays dry.

I got them from Kill all Chrome who have a 10% discount on at the moment DRL LED kit and free next day delivery in the UK but they only have 2 left now
Great, send an update about the kit and if it is easy to assemble it.

Regards,

·
Registered
46 Posts

Hello, did you manage to fit them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi skribble yes I have got them fitted. They work fine, no issues with canbus bulb warnings.

The most difficult part is getting access to the drivers side lamp as the washer bottle has to be removed. You will find it easier to remove the wheel on the side you are changing first to get access as the plastic wheel liner needs pulling back half way which is just four torx screws and one pop out plastic trim clip near the strut. the centre pops out on that then you can remove it I used a plastic car trim remover tool. You will also need 4 x 6mm plastic trim rivets each side as the ones at the front of inner wheel arch liner are fixed in place and need cutting off - I used these trim clips

To remove the washer bottle I removed the plastic undertray trim that secures to the bumper and the engine cover again with 4 torx screws it just makes it easier to remove the washer bottle.

The washer bottle has 2 torx screws holding it at the top and 2 tabs that fit into a bracket at the bottom that is secured to the front crash structure. Remove the low level warning electric clip, them pop out the washer motor check this video for an idea where things are. The bottle can be removed by lifting up once the screws are out and dropping it down, you need to be mindful that the filler neck clips into the inner wing if you lift the bonnet you will see the clip directly behind the filler cap you need to release this so it will slide out. The filler neck is a seperate part and you might be able to release it from the bottle as it's just a push fit with a rubber o ring seal.

the lights are fixed with 3 torx screws and after removing the electrical clips they come out easily. They are held into the holder with a 6mm allen bolt beam adjuster at the top and two side clips that pop out. To fit the LED's I found it easier to remove the metal bracket from the back of the light that is held on with 2 small phillips screws as it's almost impossible to align the 6mm allen bolt and the side clips. Careful with these screws as they are small and very soft I had one that rounded on me so I had to put a slot in it with a dremel cutting disc and remove it with a flat bladed screwdriver the other 3 came out fine. Once the LED are clipped into the 2 side parts I simply threaded the 6mm bolt into the plastic clip in the small metal bracket until it was in the correct place them replaced the small phillips screws. See here for some fitting details fitting guide

I secured the small ballast directly to the inner wing with tie wraps as it got warm when testing them so the inner wing can work as a heatsink and found another spot to secure the larger box also directly to the inner wing structure just in case that gets warm. You will need to experiment a bit to find a place to secure them as the inner wing structure is slightly different on each side and the nearside has a few more electrical components in places that stopped me using the same spots to mount them.

they work really well once fitted and look much better than the stock halogens.

Hope this helps and if you need anything clarifying just ask.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I'm completely new to this thread as of today. Is it possible to upgrade the OEM Halegen headlights to LED pods? If so, who supplies them? I'm in the US, New Jersey. Thank you in advance. Also, how easy was the DRL LED install? I have a 2019 F56 Sport.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'm completely new to this thread as of today. Is it possible to upgrade the OEM Halegen headlights to LED pods? If so, who supplies them? I'm in the US, New Jersey. Thank you in advance. Also, how easy was the DRL LED install? I have a 2019 F56 Sport.
There is a major topic regarding this. Search it. In short, it might be possible but it requires a lot of work

This topic:

F56 LCI LED Headlights fit pre LCI cars?
F56 LCI LED Headlights fit pre LCI cars?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts