Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is somebody else here on this forum that thinks that the 2nd Generation Mini holds its Resale Value better than the 3 Generation? I have been watching the car sites now for month and it seems too me that the retail on the 2nd/3rd Gen are very close. Of Course there are many factors that play a roll when you sit down and work a deal and you just never know what the final price out the door will be and how much $$$ the dealer knocks off to close the deal. I was just looking at asking prices from Dealers Car Sites and Ebay and since most of the time no 2 Mini,s are the same it makes it difficult to compare but general speaking I am not impresses with the numbers.:|:|

here are 2 Examples from Ebay with the mileage and price been very close

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Mini-C...5cfa3aba:g:TgkAAOSwUKxYi32d&item=302207613626

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-Mini-C...5cfa3999:g:z5YAAOSwNnRYi316&item=302207613337

http://www.mininorthscottsdale.com/...-MINI-Cooper_S_Hardtop--Phoenix-AZ/2927045983

http://www.miniofsandiego.com/Vehic...INI-Cooper_S_Hardtop--San_Diego-CA/2916091993

·
Registered
552 Posts
Which should be evaluated and how many upgrades are installed on various cars to compare.

In Italy many are still in love with the R56 for the smaller and for the most rabid engine in relation to the new F56.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I have to say theres a certain charm. We're keeping our roadster s!

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Over production is the downfall of the F series.

Dealers in the UK are awash with unsold stock, unregistered stock forced on them by MINI, pre-registered stock forced to register to meet target from MINI, this then causes secondhand values to dive due to big discounts on new...

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It won't hurt the Gen 3 now that the F56 JCW is winning races beating Porsche, Mazda & BMW! Of course today was their first win at Daytona but I fully expect more! #73 was FAST! So cool to watch! ;-)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Over production is the downfall of the F series.

Dealers in the UK are awash with unsold stock, unregistered stock forced on them by MINI, pre-registered stock forced to register to meet target from MINI, this then causes secondhand values to dive due to big discounts on new...
For the last decade or so, they seem to have been doing exactly this with BMW, but to an even greater extent. The new G30 5 Series is just about to be launched in the UK, but before the first ones even hit the road, you can easily get a 20% discount from list. No doubt this discount will rise to 25 or perhaps 30% as the new model premium fades.

This does depress used values for cars up to about 3 years old, although the depreciation really levels off after that, when a potential buyer isn't comparing your car with a new one. We tend to keep BMWs for 6 or 7 years, and may well keep this MINI for even longer, so the early discounting ends up working in our favour.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
For the last decade or so, they seem to have been doing exactly this with BMW, but to an even greater extent. The new G30 5 Series is just about to be launched in the UK, but before the first ones even hit the road, you can easily get a 20% discount from list. No doubt this discount will rise to 25 or perhaps 30% as the new model premium fades.

This does depress used values for cars up to about 3 years old, although the depreciation really levels off after that, when a potential buyer isn't comparing your car with a new one. We tend to keep BMWs for 6 or 7 years, and may well keep this MINI for even longer, so the early discounting ends up working in our favour.
Exactly right, I got a massive discount on my new one, it worked out cheaper than a nearly new one all down to discounts etc.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Seems silly and poor marketing but who are we to say!! When we did the factory tour in aug 14 they told us every car was pre ordered. (Some admittedly by dealers as demos or showroom stoxk) I had to wait 5 months for mine.how things have changed.

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both of our Mini Dealers have so many low mileage used Clubbys in there lot that they used as loaners/demos with some great discounts in all colors and options you want. The used car lot looks like a bag of skittles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So I got a part ex value for my 2015 Cooper (Pepper Pack) today - was looking to get a New BMW 1 series as I fancied something a little bigger but more economical.

They came back with a value of £9K!!! Which is a drop of £8K in two years, nearly 50%.

I know that you need to take it with a little pinch of salt - but its a good indication (well better than nothing)

Needless to say I quickly changed my mind about a new car at least until the depreciation flattens out a bit.

I was expecting a hit but nothing that big, one of the reasons (admittedly not the main reason) I bought the car was the promised rock solid residuals - that promise does not appear to be playing out -but hey ho I still love the car but just need to bide my time!

·
Registered
181 Posts
So I got a part ex value for my 2015 Cooper (Pepper Pack) today - was looking to get a New BMW 1 series as I fancied something a little bigger but more economical.

They came back with a value of £9K!!! Which is a drop of £8K in two years, nearly 50%.

I know that you need to take it with a little pinch of salt - but its a good indication (well better than nothing)

Needless to say I quickly changed my mind about a new car at least until the depreciation flattens out a bit.

I was expecting a hit but nothing that big, one of the reasons (admittedly not the main reason) I bought the car was the promised rock solid residuals - that promise does not appear to be playing out -but hey ho I still love the car but just need to bide my time!

Sounds about right to me... 45% over two years isn't that bad...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I bought the car, it was supposed to be around 16% per year drop in value, so 32%(ish) not 50% :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I bought the car, it was supposed to be around 16% per year drop in value, so 32%(ish) not 50% :)

What it's "supposed to do" and actually will do are two different things. It's a gamble, they take a stab at what they assume the market will be like.

I personally never purchase a car on the basis of resale value / px value as it rarely stacks up.... always assume a loss and worse case that way you can be pleasantly surprised in the long run (hopefully)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I loved the R, but I love the F more as it is such a stellar performer. I will gladly suffer beauty/style/cuteness,etc. for performance and the F56 JCW is such a hoot to drive and watch Mazdas, Fiats, et. al. in the rear view mirror. In sequential tight turns it will outperform my Z06! I still love the old ones though and miss them, but I hop in MITEY 2 and all is right with the world!

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I bought my first MINI, an R53 in late 2005, the then two Houston dealers still had minor wait lists and MSRP was the price. Mine was around $24K and when I sold it two years later I shipped it all the way to California to its new buyer for $20K. The vaunted resale has been downhill ever since. It's not necessarily the "car itself" as much as MINI has just now become more accessible and numbers on the roads are at much higher levels.
I bought my fourth MINI, a used 2011 R56S in 2013 with 29K miles on it for $16K. Its MSRP had been $27K, very average resale value. The F 56 is no different. It's a car, it loses value as soon as you drive it off the lot. Buying used can be a great deal, but I really enjoyed again the process of spec'ing out then waiting for "my car" to arrive. Aside from a handful of very special new cars out there, no car sold today has anything I would call good resale value.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Depreciation: A major car-buying factor

For many of us, a new car is one of the biggest purchases of our lifetime, and one of the largest costs associated with that new car is depreciation.

Car depreciation is the amount of value an auto loses over time, and that figure can vary dramatically from car to car. For consumers who keep their car for five years or less, depreciation should be one of the main factors to consider. Those looking to hold on to their car for the long haul may benefit by paying less upfront because the resale value really won't matter five or 10 years later.

Buyers should keep in mind that just because a vehicle has a lousy depreciation value, it doesn't mean it's a bad car. It just means that, for varying reasons, people aren't willing to pay top dollar for that model as a used car.

According to IntelliChoice, the Campbell, Calif.-based research firm, cars in high demand tend to have a high resale value, as do sporty cars, compact cars and the base-line model of a lineup. Large vehicles, midsize cars and minivans tend to lose their value, IntelliChoice says. With that in mind, here are five vehicles that lose a lot of value and what may be better alternatives, along with mpg estimates and Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price, or MSRP.

here is some good reading from forbes

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorz...ers-the-most-money-from-day-one/#122a62d11f72

·
Registered
389 Posts
Low interest rates on PCP deals for new cars makes selling used stock hard for dealers. The repayments on used is often more than a new car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Low interest rates on PCP deals for new cars makes selling used stock hard for dealers. The repayments on used is often more than a new car.
Yeah, I've noticed this twice now while car shopping. Cheaper to buy a new one, in the UK at least.

Any way, with PCP why would you care about resale value? If it's terrible you just hand the car back and be on your way.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This reminds me of people I've known in the past who leave the factory protective plastic on the seats so they won't get dirty.
Yes, this is true (OK, they were old blokes with Kias or the like, but still).

If you want cheap transport, use the bus or a bike or a moped. If you need a practical car get Korean hatchback or whatever.
If you are buying a MINI you are not really in any of the sensible brackets, you want fun. It's a cheap Lamborghini. Don't sweat the costs - enjoy :D

(IMNVHO)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts