Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Me and my wife are wondering if we can get rear parking sensors retro fitted or are they factory only?

And if so how much more than the £260 will it cost?

Happy Easter All.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Mini make an official F56 rear PDC retrofit kit (below) which costs £94 plus then you need new 'black bands' to house the sensors at £64 and then add labour costs on top.

As it's an official kit (with a fitting time), your dealer should be able to give you a fixed price quote.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Mini make an official F56 rear PDC retrofit kit (below) which costs £94 plus then you need new 'black bands' to house the sensors at £64 and then add labour costs on top.

As it's an official kit (with a fitting time), your dealer should be able to give you a fixed price quote.
Do you have more info on this retrofit kit? It's the first I've heard of it.

I assume Visual Boost is needed at minimum, but I don't see the PMA module anywhere on there either. The PDC system is managed by a special module that is mounted in the rear. You would also have to get new rear trim as you can't just drill holes in the existing trim - they wont' fit right.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Do you have more info on this retrofit kit?
Click on the diagram to go to the Real OEM page for a European F56. If you search for parts on a USA F56, the retrofit kit isn't shown, so maybe it's Yurpeen only.

I assume Visual Boost is needed at minimum, but I don't see the PMA module anywhere on there either.
Presumably it would still work audibly without the 'radar' picture on Visual Boost. The link says a PDC control unit is needed, but then it says PDC sensors are needed too, so who knows what's in the retrofit kit. If it's £94 for just a wiring harness and connectors, the total bill is going to be mighty expensive. But then we knew that already......

You would also have to get new rear trim as you can't just drill holes in the existing trim - they wont' fit right.
Mini call that the 'black band', priced above.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Click on the diagram to go to the Real OEM page for a European F56. If you search for parts on a USA F56, the retrofit kit isn't shown, so maybe it's Yurpeen only.
Could be.

Presumably it would still work audibly without the 'radar' picture on Visual Boost. The link says a PDC control unit is needed, but then it says PDC sensors are needed too, so who knows what's in the retrofit kit. If it's £94 for just a wiring harness and connectors, the total bill is going to be mighty expensive. But then we knew that already......
If it's connecting to the headunit anyway (for the audio), I don't see why it wouldn't show the "radar".

Mini call that the 'black band', priced above.
Is that what they are for? I wonder how they mount, because they still need to be plugged in to work so how does the wiring get routed? RealOEM's description does say something about the trim isn't included and must be ordered separately.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If it's connecting to the headunit anyway (for the audio), I don't see why it wouldn't show the "radar".
You're responding to what I wrote, not what I meant to write. Which was that even without Visual Boost, I presume the audio warning would still work - after all, most cars don't have the radar display.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
You're responding to what I wrote, not what I meant to write. Which was that even without Visual Boost, I presume the audio warning would still work - after all, most cars don't have the radar display.
That would be interesting if that was the case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
anyone has done it?
Our F56 came with them from the factory. My daughters F55 didnt (stock car and good price!) so I asked - the dealer said that fitting wasnt a problem and not too dissimilar to the factory price but it would be audio only and not show the nice picture on the dash.

My daughter decided she had never had them before so could manage. I was about to mention that she had reversed into a wall and rock before but decided she knew best....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had front and rear parking sensors retrofitted by the dealer (Sytner Haroldwood), and all in all paid £500 for the pleasure.

They've been nothing but a pain. They do work, but I had shoddy workmanship and noticed a cable hanging out from above the exhaust so took it back for them to fix it, they did it. The other issue I had was that they would go off when driving around on their own, with nothing behind or in front of me. I noticed this was only happening when it rained. I took it back to them, and they said it was meant to only be activated when above a certain MPH threshold and wasn't doing so - they claimed they replaced the unit. A week later, it still goes off when stationary (e.g. at traffic lights) if it has just rained - so I'm going to have to take it back AGAIN!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts