Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am in love with my Mini Cooper (1.5 L), however one thing that seems to bother me no matter what is the halogen headlights (wanted the Mini Asap, so they gave us what was present), is there any way that we can retrofit the LED headlights instead?

Thanks

·
Registered
844 Posts
It will be possible but the cost would be massive to do it correctly.
If it is the light output rather than fashion you can change the Halogen bulbs to something like Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited.

Speakers should be a lot easier to change but that might not greatly change the sound quality.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I agree it would be very expensive, it's not just a one for one unit swap, the LED headlights also need the self levelling mechanism.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It will be possible but the cost would be massive to do it correctly.
If it is the light output rather than fashion you can change the Halogen bulbs to something like Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited.

Speakers should be a lot easier to change but that might not greatly change the sound quality.
I wish it was the bulbs, I would have easily replaced them, but I hate the halogen design itself on the mini, it destroys it's front end IMO.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I know what you mean, the normal halogen headlights are ugly and look dated to me, the LED's give the car a much more modern look.
The LED's should come as standard these days!

The normal lights remind me of the old Citreoen !!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
I like my leds but I also totally love that Citroen. Good luck retro fitting leads bit of a mare but there are some on eBay.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
This has been discussed multiple times in multiple posts. tl;dr; version: No, you can't retrofit LED lights.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Agreed Uke, also I am a wee bit tired of people saying that the car is ruined without them.

If they are so bad why would anyone agree to buy a MINI without them.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Agreed Uke, also I am a wee bit tired of people saying that the car is ruined without them.

If they are so bad why would anyone agree to buy a MINI without them.
Yes. Interesting how LED lights are showing early signs of a latent Religious War in the F56 community. More so than, say, Leather Seats.

Personally, I get cranky reading a new "how do I retrofit LED lights?" post every other week. I know people are seeking information, but for the love of Sir Alec use the search box! Grrrrrr

I know. Who made me arbiter of minf56.com topical appropriateness?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Grr to you too Uke.

I think it's understandable that this question is going to be asked over and over again, search or no search. I personally am glad I opted for the LEDs, but frankly it wasn't on the top of my list until I had them and realised the difference they make. The car with the standard lamps looks great - I genuinely believe this; it's just that the LEDs take it a step further.

From what I gather the Mini comes from a rich modding heritage... until this model that is which seems to be so pegged down to the specification made at the time of ordering that people regret the odd thing, find they can't do anything about it and regret it even further! Coupled with the fact that you can get the LED lamps aftermarket from eBay (and boy would I be disappointed to have paid £600 only to find they wouldn't work down to lack of wires and the such) and it's a question that's going to crop up again and again.

And of course, this is still a new new car. I betcha that in a year or so there will be some really interesting third party choices appearing that can use the standard lamp setup but do something new with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Personally I don't think the leds look anything special when the car is in daylight at all std lights look fine to me. They're just different.I'm with you here. They're very expensive and if they go wrong they will be a nightmare so just remember that if you didn't choose them you'll be laughing all the way to the bank and you can upgrade those bulbs. We can't.! I do have leds btw.

Just enjoy the car you've got and don't think about what could have been. With the mini could send you mad or destroy your bank account!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Please don't go aftermarket. I really wish the police here would clamp down on people with these kits that are a blinding blue colour etc.
��
+1 on this

HID kits are illegal, I also wish trading standards would clamp down on companies selling them.

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Me too dreadful blinders.mind the police don't even seem to stop cars with bulbs out these days........

·
Registered
25 Posts
The standard lights looks horrible because it doesn't have projection lenses in it. Other makes have projection halogen lights which looks way better and does a better job.

I didn't expect the LEDs to be this good and never had a chance to actually look at the stock halogens when I ordered mine.

Living next to a major street, I hate the stupidly loud muffler mods that some people do more than the aftermarket lights.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Mini is beautiful either way! The word is that pretty soon there will be an official retrofit LED/Xenon kit for those willing to upgrade, so be patient. Today, it can be done in two ways: 1) go through the official channel and prepare yourself to cry when you see the bill, and 2) go through the unorthodox channel and pray that the garage that will do it, will not to brick your car. Personally, I'd rather wait for a couple of months. Also, regarding Kenl's comment in my case it was the salesman's fault for not having the LEDs. And I did't want to make a fuss thinking that I could always upgrade it later. I could not imagine it would be so difficult and expensive...
P.S. the official garages CAN do it, but its a pain in the ass for them that's why they want to discourage you from doing it...

·
Registered
112 Posts
any one tried this?

ebay.com/itm/like/201508967614?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
That advert is a bit deceptive, they list buried in it that the lights use H9 halogen bulbs. So are they just projector light units ? Don't think they are true LED lights.............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.