Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I succesfully retrofitted OEM backup camera and connected it to the head unit, CAN gateway and fuse box. After that i started coding using esys and added 3AG to the vehicle order. Did the coding over all ecu’s first but it did not work. I can see the camera options on the headunit but no display.

So removed the trunk cover to measure the connections but all seem to be connected correctly.

I think I missed something in esys and am unable to find any info regarding this on the net. Anyone else did an oem retrofit and got it working?
Any help is apreciated:

Some info:

Head unit connection:

Pin: 21 23 24 from camera
Fuse box F55 attached mass from camera to fuse F55
CAN gateway in trunk: 9 22 13 to camera

8 connections total go to the oem camera.

See diagram here:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f56-cooper-s-hat/wiring-functional-info/supply/supply-trsvc-all-round-vision-camera/1VnXhE6RKE

Seller thinks maybe the camera is broken and will send me a new one... i have a feeling its just wrong coding...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I succesfully retrofitted OEM backup camera and connected it to the head unit, CAN gateway and fuse box. After that i started coding using esys and added 3AG to the vehicle order. Did the coding over all ecu’s first but it did not work. I can see the camera options on the headunit but no display.

So removed the trunk cover to measure the connections but all seem to be connected correctly.

I think I missed something in esys and am unable to find any info regarding this on the net. Anyone else did an oem retrofit and got it working?
Any help is apreciated:

Some info:

Head unit connection:

Pin: 21 23 24 from camera
Fuse box F55 attached mass from camera to fuse F55
CAN gateway in trunk: 9 22 13 to camera

8 connections total go to the oem camera.

See diagram here:

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f56-cooper-s-hat/wiring-functional-info/supply/supply-trsvc-all-round-vision-camera/1VnXhE6RKE

Seller thinks maybe the camera is broken and will send me a new one... i have a feeling its just wrong coding...

Ok we found the issue. It seems that we connected the camera to can2 instead of can3. Now according to etk there should be can3 next to can2 on the right but in my car we have no can3 terminal on the right

So now we need to connect directly to bdc but still need a terminal between because it has a resistor of 120ohm connecting directly wont work the seller is saying.

I was going to pull and connect to bdc A258*8B port 44 and 43 and ground the third cable but this seems not possible.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Camera worked that day. Now I get Camera Malfunction when i put the car in reverse. But after a while, like 1 hour the camera works again. Its almost like it needs to warm up or something. Really strange. I dont really think it could be wireing because than it would either always give an error. Maybe the camera is faulty...Downloading Rheingold to do some scanning...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did some more analysis and it looks like the fbas connectors in the headunit were not fit correctly. I when I played with them I instantly got the error. Pushed them in and tywrapped the cables. It works now. Hopefully it stays like this

·
Registered
6 Posts
Empo

I have installed the same reversing camera kit in my (electrically identical) BMW F46 but am unable to get a picture.
I also had to add KCAN3 and have run it from the BDC. Using E-Sys I have added 3AG to all modules (but probably only needed HU_ENTRYNAV, PMA2 and possibly ZGW).

Could you please advise exactly how you coded it?

With the camera on KCAN3, my head unit will not allow me to select the camera and E-Sys doesn't see it.
If I move the camera to KCAN2 my head unit will allow me to select the camera (so presumably it can see the module) but still no picture. Looking on other forums it looks like the camera (ICAM2) needs to be coded to the car, however as I can't see it using E-Sys on either KCAN2 or KCAN3, I am unable to do so.

Looking at the full wiring diagram for KCAN3 for both F56 & F46, it appears to be connected to the BDC twice, on both modules 2B & 8B. I have tried both including both in parallel. The 2B connection has a 120ohm resistance, which is what I would expect to see as the bus terminator.

I have also tried both with and without a bus terminator at the camera end.

Any help appreciated - Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was a long time ago already. But only if you see the camera ecu in the ecu tree it means its functional aftar that you do some fo coding and you need to inject fw or something into the icam. To be honest the coding was done by the seller on my car... initially i had issues and could not see the cam in esys the reason for it was that i was missing the whole terminating resistor for the cam. After installing it all worked fine until the video output on the back of the quadlock was broken and i lost picture again. Fixed that also and never had issues again...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for your quick response.

The problem I have - like you had - is the ICAM not showing in the ECU tree (on KCAN3). I have added a terminating resistor, though to be fair it is home made rather than the BMW part.

I believe I understand what needs to be done to the ICAM - once shown on the ECU tree: It's CAFD coding, which can be done in E-Sys (if E-Sys can see it of course!)

Once I get somewhere, I will post here in case anyone else comes up against the same issues and bumps into this thread from Google as I did.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do everything with oem bmw parts and use a twisted pair cable for the can3 to bdc. Can is an ethernet connection in the car. Using wrong cables can result in unexpected behaviour

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree that OEM resistor is the thing to try, even though the kit vendor told me that no terminator was required...
I have ordered the the resistor and associated connectors. Once they arrive I will give it a go.
Fortunately the kit harness came with plenty of twisted CANBUS cable.

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hopefully we can offer some help, at the very least minimise surprises!

I have attached the BMW fitting instructions which claimed to be for F45/F46 (translated from the original German version I found online). Whilst obviously the details will be different for F48/F55/F56, electrically they are identical. Further, they didn't quite work for an F46: I had to drop the headlining at the rear to route the wiring from the boot conduit to the top of the D-pillar. They are also written for LHD cars, with advice for RHD limited to "proceed accordingly". On RHD F4x/F5x, the PDC computer (known as PMA2) remains on the right hand side of the boot however the BDC moves to the left front footwell (i.e. passenger side). Therefore I had to run cables down both D-pillars.

The BMW/Mini instructions for removing trim pieces are pretty good and can be found here: Car selection

The final step is coding. I have added option 3AG (reversing camera) to the whole car using E-Sys. Others have then needed a load a CAFD onto the camera (module ICAM2), however I have not been able to "see" the module with E-Sys.

The challenge I have faced (I think) is the KCAN3 bus. This is only used for the reversing camera, LED headlights and some stuff related to hybrid models. As I have neither LED headlights nor hybrid, I am establishing the KCAN3 bus from scratch. This also means that I can't tell whether the bus or camera is the thing not playing!
Another forum member who performed the retrofit had LED headlights, so had KCAN3 bus oddly no terminating resistor (R3). His fit was a success by adding terminator R3, tapped into the existing KCAN3 bus in BDC module 8B pins 43 & 44 - i.e. those pins were already occupied.
However the BMW F45/F46 fitting instructions imply that if you don't have R3 then BDC module 8B pins 43 & 44 will be vacant.

Some useful links to info on the KCAN3 bus:
My kit didn't include the terminator (or instructions...) however the CAN cable is easily long enough to reach the BDC. When I queried the lack of the terminator from the kit they told me that it wasn't needed and that if I wasn't sure what I was doing then I should "get a professional to do it". Overall somewhat less than helpful.

Once I get and try the parts, I will report back.

And good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you so much for the info!!
You mentioned a kit. I know there are kits for BMW, is there one for the F56?
I have all the parts, but am trying to figure out if I have build a harness from scratch or three is something to start with.

Cheers!

dan

·
Registered
6 Posts
As expected, that looks very similar to the wiring loom that came with the kit I purchased for BMW F45/F46/F48. I will be interested to know how you get on with the CANBUS wiring.

I used a scotch block to take power from the PDC (module PMA2) power feed. It certainly needs to be a source which is switched on and off with ideally the ignition, at least the car. Another (BMW) forum had an individual who had taken power for the ICAM from a permanent supply which prevented the car going to sleep, so just ran his battery down. It also prevented coding of the camera as the camera needs a power cycle once coded!

NavWizard, the other items required will be:
  • 66539475687 The ICAM camera itself
  • Whatever is required to mount the camera in the specific model. This should be somewhere on the Parts List . On F46 it's under Bodywork -> Tailgate Locking System, F54 it's under Vehicle Trim -> Trim Panel Rear.
    A "mounting" (rubber boot the camera pushes into) and "cover" (plastic clip) are likely to be required. F4x also require a different boot lid switch because the hole for the camera is in the same recess.
  • Possibly - 61136814611 CANBUS terminator, associated plug and pins. This is what I how have on order.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks!
I ordered a cable kit. I have everything else, including the rear trim, camera, mount (thought need the two screws), even the termination resistor.

Im retrofitting the PDC at the same time, and have all the bits for it as well.

so, we'll see how it goes when I get the harness.

dan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Dan - I just (within the last two weeks) retrofit rear PDC and a backup camera into my F56. Everything is working well. Please let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@sb2002 did your car already have a KCAN3 bus for, say LED headlights?
I still have had no joy getting my reversing camera to work and I am now fairly certain that it's because my BDC doesn't support KCAN3.

The camera does work on KCAN2, however is invisible to E-Sys and therefore cannot be coded - which is required. So equally if anyone knows how to code an ECU directly or on another bus, please do let me know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hopefully we can offer some help, at the very least minimise surprises!

I have attached the BMW fitting instructions which claimed to be for F45/F46 (translated from the original German version I found online). Whilst obviously the details will be different for F48/F55/F56, electrically they are identical. Further, they didn't quite work for an F46: I had to drop the headlining at the rear to route the wiring from the boot conduit to the top of the D-pillar. They are also written for LHD cars, with advice for RHD limited to "proceed accordingly". On RHD F4x/F5x, the PDC computer (known as PMA2) remains on the right hand side of the boot however the BDC moves to the left front footwell (i.e. passenger side). Therefore I had to run cables down both D-pillars.

[SNIP]
Thank you for this.

I installed my towbar, rear PDC, and camera on Monday - but found out I didn't have the PDC control unit (long story for another thread) - that's arriving on Friday.

I just need to confirm something with the wiring.

I have this repair cable:
Screenshot_20200916-104827_Samsung Internet.jpg

According to the instructions posted above, there should be a connector A6 (tieback), but it's not shown on the wiring diagram, and doesn't appear to be attached to my cable.

20200916_103721.jpg 20200916_103826.jpg 20200916_103953.jpg 20200916_104048.jpg 20200916_104213.jpg

I'm guessing that that's hidden somewhere in the cable.

My only other issue then is A3.

I've not split B41*1B yet, but from what I can see, A3 has to connect to pin 9.

Pin 9 connects to fuse 55 and should already be populated.

This would explain why it's the only wire that's not pre-terminated.

Now the question is whether to solder or to splice. Is 9 a solder connector?

Notes: Z10*7B was fully populated, so I cat the terminal off and crimped a 6mm diameter hole ring terminal on and attached it to the stud like the PDC and Towbar Retrofit Kits.

I haven't coded any of this yet, I'll do all 3 when I've fitted the PDC controller.

#Edit

Looks like I need to splice this in somehow...

20200916_193233.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Terminating resistors, I was surprised to see that I had both R2 and R3 present, even though I don't have LED lights.

So that means I have 2 terminating resistors AND the retrofit wiring harness to plug them into the BDC going spare.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts