Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well taking time to get used to the Rev match on 2016 JCW I like using gearing for braking and thought I have started to get it but from 3rd to 2nd does not seem to work seems stupid.
Can Rev match be de activated without turning off dsc etc? Or coded
I have tried blipping the throttle myself on change down but getting used to the Rev match has not been as straight forward as I thought as have had a habit in past to blip the throttle myself.
What do others think and is there an update of soft wear for Rev match from 3rd to 2nd

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi Derek, don't know if there are any changes to JCW software but my MCS def rev matched from 3rd to 2nd. It was only 2nd to 1st that it didn't operate.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Derek, don't know if there are any changes to JCW software but my MCS def rev matched from 3rd to 2nd. It was only 2nd to 1st that it didn't operate.
I noticed this on NAM site and was thinking it was not just me They said it changed between certain dates in 2014 it seems.
I will have to check the soft wear is up to date , what's the site you go to for down load to pen drive?

I forgot for others I have 6MT box

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Sept 14 Cooper def rev matches in every gear ex 1to2.nd accompanied by a huge grin on face.

Reactions: derekh929

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
well taking time to get used to the Rev match on 2016 JCW I like using gearing for braking and thought I have started to get it but from 3rd to 2nd does not seem to work seems stupid.
Can Rev match be de activated without turning off dsc etc? Or coded
I have tried blipping the throttle myself on change down but getting used to the Rev match has not been as straight forward as I thought as have had a habit in past to blip the throttle myself.
What do others think and is there an update of soft wear for Rev match from 3rd to 2nd
I've noticed on my Cooper D that down shifting from 3rd to 2nd is a fair bit more difficult to do smoothly than any other gear, maybe I'm going to fast for second gear but I'm pretty sure it lacks increase in revs it needs to catch 2nd at optimum changing engine speed.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Mine definitely rev-matches on downshifting in Sport mode in all changes except to 1st.
Correct...and that's with a MT. It sort of caught me off-guard the first time that happened. I never make it a habit of downshifting into 1st anyway, so I wouldn't know.

Only negative thing I have so far about the MT is it's just a little "light" to me, compared to other high performance cars....I'm old school though, so maybe it's just me being more used to heavier hydraulic clutches when shifting.

Couldn't love the MT JCW more though! Impossible to drive without smiling! :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Could you expand what you mean by "light"? The shifter, clutch, or both? I find the shifter feel to be amazing; very accurate and informative, not nebulous at all. So far my only niggle is the location of the clutch pedal engagement point, and the engagement point versus the spring loading knee point from the pressure plate, which usually match. I drive multiple cars and the rest all have their engagement point near the middle or top of the pedal, but the JCW engagement point is basically right on the floor, but the spring load knee point is closer to the middle of the pedal travel. It's an odd setup, I can only assume there are extra springs in the pedal assembly making it feel unnatural. It takes a conscious mental re-calibration to be able to bounce from car to car and not look like a n00b.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Could you expand what you mean by "light"? The shifter, clutch, or both? I find the shifter feel to be amazing; very accurate and informative, not nebulous at all. So far my only niggle is the location of the clutch pedal engagement point, and the engagement point versus the spring loading knee point from the pressure plate, which usually match. I drive multiple cars and the rest all have their engagement point near the middle or top of the pedal, but the JCW engagement point is basically right on the floor, but the spring load knee point is closer to the middle of the pedal travel. It's an odd setup, I can only assume there are extra springs in the pedal assembly making it feel unnatural. It takes a conscious mental re-calibration to be able to bounce from car to car and not look like a n00b.
I have other cars also....the MINI clutch is really "easy to depress" (doesn't seem to match the JCW's sport suspension in tautness)...know what I mean?...the shifter is smooth and a bit notchy just the way I like it. It could have a wee shorter throw however. One of my other cars has more of a racing clutch feel and short shifter....after driving the MINI when I drove it, I thought something was broke! LOL! You're right, it's weird sometimes swapping cars and the "feel" can be totally different.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I see what you mean now. Thanks.

Oh, and I also realzed today that the rev-match downshifting also works in Normal mode, except going into 1st. I haven't put my JCW into Green mode yet, so I'm not sure on that yet.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
...rev-match downshifting also works in Normal mode, except going into 1st. I haven't put my JCW into Green mode yet, so I'm not sure on that yet.
Ha! Me neither :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Why would it annoy you? It's just helping to get the downshift perfect. Honestly I didn't notice it was doing it at first because I just instinctively heel-n-toe all the time.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Rev matching just annoys me (sorry!) #embarassedtoadmit #female #exdieseldriver

It takes some getting used to if you are "old school" like me! It actually helps protect the engine, but if you are good at manually rev-matching it can be a bit of an annoyance, granted. If you let the revs drop before shifting during normal driving you will notice that the rev-matching feature will not kick in, so that's a good way to practice your downshifting provenance! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello,

I am a bit irritated about the Rev match feature as well.

To the point that I think it may not be working properly on my car.

Situation:

Approaching an intersection or roundabout in tall gear.

I start by letting off the throttle and pushing the brake pedal.

I downshift from 4th to 3rd and release the clutch. I feel a little the typical downshift jerk a few seconds (1 or 2 tops) after I have released the clutch.

I continue brake braking and downshift from 3rd to 2nd and release the clutch again. I feel a normal downshift jerk but 1 or 2 seconds after the clutch is fully released.

All this is gone and the downshifts are as in all cars when the Rev match feature is disabled.

Is this the normal behavior? It annoys me a lot!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not a fan of rev matching either. It feels like the engine has no weight when you approach a traffic light or roundabout. And I'm wearing out my breaking pads for no reason.
But you can turn it off quite easily: it's a two step action: first turn off traction control (one of the bottom right switches in the center unit of the dashboard) and then push it down for about six seconds. It will disable all electronic driving support wizardry including rev matching.
And it resets every time you start the car.
It's great to feel the inertia of the engine like I was used to in previous cars.
But to be honest I'm slowly getting used to rev matching and haven't used the disabling trick lately.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'm not a fan of rev matching either. It feels like the engine has no weight when you approach a traffic light or roundabout. And I'm wearing out my breaking pads for no reason.
But you can turn it off quite easily: it's a two step action: first turn off traction control (one of the bottom right switches in the center unit of the dashboard) and then push it down for about six seconds. It will disable all electronic driving support wizardry including rev matching.
And it resets every time you start the car.
It's great to feel the inertia of the engine like I was used to in previous cars.
But to be honest I'm slowly getting used to rev matching and haven't used the disabling trick lately.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Also with holding it down for 6 seconds I have notice puts it into sport mode without it saying on the central console.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts