Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've noticed the past couple of times I've been on a hill... My car rolls back like a manual would, surely it shouldn't do this? I've never been in an automatic that has done this before...

Will it be due to the gearbox or hill hold not working?

·
Registered
200 Posts
My auto does that too if the transmission isn't in sport or manual mode. It's very very slight - maybe less than an inch but I notice it. I have a feeling the transmission is uncoupled from the engine while stopped- almost like neutral and then takes half a second to put power to the wheels again. I don't think it does that in manual or sport mode. Someone who knows more should probably correct me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think rolling backwards is common for a torque converter automatic with engine at idle if the hill is steep enough. Shouldn't be as noticeable in D as compared to N with no gear engagement.

BTW, the U.S. spec gasoline Cooper S shifts into N when using Green mode while coasting. This used to be illegal in my local traffic codes and was only done by people really tight on gas money :laugh:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think rolling backwards is common for a torque converter automatic with engine at idle if the hill is steep enough. Shouldn't be as noticeable in D as compared to N with no gear engagement.

BTW, the U.S. spec gasoline Cooper S shifts into N when using Green mode while coasting. This used to be illegal in my local traffic codes and was only done by people really tight on gas money :laugh:
see? someone who knows more than me hah!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
No rollback with a manual transmission! For once the electronic gadgetry really helps! Amazing how it holds on a hill until you engage the clutch! You mean a manual actually has an advantage over the automatic? LOL! :D

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I have manual as well and don't use the hill assist as much anymore for two reasons...

The talk of early rear brake wear, also don't use the cruise control either.

Sitting with my foot on the clutch at lights etc, possibly early clutch wear.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I have manual as well and don't use the hill assist as much anymore for two reasons...

The talk of early rear brake wear, also don't use the cruise control either.

Sitting with my foot on the clutch at lights etc, possibly early clutch wear.
Well, if you don't know how to drive a clutch nobody should rely on the hill assist! It's just a nice feature to have....how do you turn it off btw? News to me...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, if you don't know how to drive a clutch nobody should rely on the hill assist! It's just a nice feature to have....how do you turn it off btw? News to me...
I didn't think you could turn it off.

Okay I guess if other people have it too then its fine?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I didn't think you could turn it off.

Okay I guess if other people have it too then its fine?

According to my Owner's Manual, the hill assist is only suppose to be active for a couple of seconds....the time any good clutch driver should take to remove their foot off the brake and let the clutch out...that's "all it's suppose to do when assisting". It may hold longer but that's not as intended. I don't believe it can be turned off.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
According to my Owner's Manual, the hill assist is only suppose to be active for a couple of seconds....the time any good clutch driver should take to remove their foot off the brake and let the clutch out...that's "all it's suppose to do when assisting". It may hold longer but that's not as intended. I don't believe it can be turned off.
I don't think you can either - plus the Auto's definitely have this because on 99% of the hills I go up and have to stop, it holds me when I let go of the break pedal with my break lights active... It's just becoming more and more often that the Hill Hold doesn't activate and hence I roll back - which is annoying.

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
There is a really neat feature that is not just exclusive to Mini that will assist with hill starts, its called the handbrake. I find it really good to use on hills.

·
Registered
641 Posts
There is a really neat feature that is not just exclusive to Mini that will assist with hill starts, its called the handbrake. I find it really good to use on hills.
In the F54 is electric...it's not so easy use a brake with ON-off modularity only...

Yes! The hill assistent ...assists the driver using the brake for 2 second only if the clutch is pushed.
It works fine.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I can drive fine just know how fragile these clutches are and how many people get warranty rejected claiming "driver abuse"..
I taught both of my son's to drive a clutch on steep sloping roadway intersections! If you can do that effortlessly, then you don't need hill assist! Ha! It is a nice feature is all I was saying. I noticed it immediately during my first test drive of a 2015 F56 MCS. I thought to myself "what was that!" LOL! I'm old school....driven clutch cars since 1962! The F56 clutch is light imo but it ain't gonna break!! Getrag doesn't make lousy transmissions.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
It's not the transmission but the duel mass flywheel that gives problems, riding the clutch etc causes excess heat which can separate the 2 main componates (basically 2 flywheels stuck together) and why warranty is rejected.

Like you I've been driving near on 50 years and a modern clutch is nothing like the old days ;)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It's not the transmission but the duel mass flywheel that gives problems, riding the clutch etc causes excess heat which can separate the 2 main componates (basically 2 flywheels stuck together) and why warranty is rejected.

Like you I've been driving near on 50 years and a modern clutch is nothing like the old days ;)

Good to know...thanks!

·
Registered
173 Posts

One of my pet peaves is hearing someone talk about how they know how to drive a manual transmission and then see them ride the clutch at every hill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.