Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have recommendation for a roof rack that will work with a 2015 Hardtop S (2 door)? It does not have rails pre-installed. I'm looking to carry my kayaks on top.

·
Registered
1 Posts
desperately seeking roof rack

Believe it or not, I just went through a whole discussion with Mini about this.

I went to the dealership and they said I had to purchase and install post delivery roof rails in order to get a roof rack on my 2015 Hardtop - the cost was ridiculously expensive (something like $1200-1500 before labor and before the actual rack). I told him that the option to have it put on the car at the factory was not an option when I bought the car (I know that for sure because when the dealership told me about the rails, I went back to the configurator and rails were not an option).

Undeterred, I Tweeted to Mini to confirm if this was the only way and they replied that a rack is forthcoming and I should check with my dealer.

I did that and they had no idea.

So, I called MiniUSA and all they keep saying is since I didn't order the car with the rails, I would have to pay to have rails put in. When I told them about the Tweet, they couldn't confirm it. I put them to task and asked them, why did MiniUSA reply on Twitter that it is coming? He put me back on hold, allegedly "spoke" to someone at social media and said that it's coming but no ETA.

In short, they're about as clear as mud. I'm extremely disappointed as I bought the car under the false impression that racks were available for the car (as shown in their accessories site).

If you find something, please let me know.

Ed

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been searching for a roof rack for my 2015 Hardtop (not S) ever since I got the car in October 2014!

Mini says something is coming (that doesn't require rails) but no ETA
Thule says they're testing the fit now and to check back in about 30 days
Yakima seems to have one that works (according to their fit guide: Q TOWERS 4 PACK SYSTEM).

I'm hoping Thule comes out with one since I have a lot of accessories already.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Yakima roof rack with the Q 128 clips. So far this is the ONLY roof rack for a mini cooper 2014 3dr hardtop bare roof as far as I know. I need the roof rack for my kayak too. Unfortunately, it seems slips out of the roof frame. I am gonna try it again tomorrow and wednesday with my kayak. If I knew mini doesn't have roof rack for bare roof I would have got mine with roof rails.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i am so lucky that i switched vehicles to get one with roof rails and the storage compartment option. I just ordered MINI bars to go on top. I think the MINI bars look best - even better than Thule wingbars which stick out too much.

I cant imagine being without these two useful features. On a black roof the rails are barely visible but the functionality they add is well worth the small option additional price.>:D

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've been searching for a roof rack for my 2015 Hardtop (not S) ever since I got the car in October 2014!

Mini says something is coming (that doesn't require rails) but no ETA
Thule says they're testing the fit now and to check back in about 30 days
Yakima seems to have one that works (according to their fit guide: Q TOWERS 4 PACK SYSTEM).

I'm hoping Thule comes out with one since I have a lot of accessories already.

I'll be a bit hacked off if Mini come out with something, since we were told at launch that you needed roof rail to fit any kind of bars, so I duly changed my order which caused a whole world of grief. And I still haven't bought bars yet, possibly never will :D

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Imo the rails look good and cut down water ingress when you open the door or window but best of all no paint touched to fit the roof bars . Bonus!

Reactions: mikeswagon
1 - 9 of 9 Posts