Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening All

I appredicate this topic has been discussed elsewhere on the forum however after doing some research today I came across this website which sells a roof rack that fits the both the new 3 & 5 doors models without the need for the fitted rails;

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=5455590&modelid=12860

I checked the Thule website and they don't appear to do a similar version which surprises me given their experience. I called ****'s Garage and they confirmed the roof rack would fit fine.

I need one and don't wish to have the roof rails retro fitted so this seems to be my only option.

Any thoughts before I purchase?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The R56 had a similar rack system for cars that didn't have the factory roof rails and of the couple I've seen, they seem to work okay. Downsides over the factory rails is they have a much lower weight rating. These ones look like they'll handle 50 kilos - good for a bike or two, skis, snowboards, but a luggage rack may not be in the cards.

If you get them, let us know how they work out!

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Looks fine for the five door but can't see how it would fit the 3 door. Take care!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd be careful with the instructions too. There were no dimensions for cutting the inserts nor setting the bars out from door pillars for Mini's. I spoke to ****'s Garage and they told me it was unlikely that I needed them! Let's just say it took me 4 attempts to get the right fit and dimensions. Thankfully I didn't cut the inserts too short!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd be careful with the instructions too. There were no dimensions for cutting the inserts nor setting the bars out from door pillars for Mini's. I spoke to ****'s Garage and they told me it was unlikely that I needed them! Let's just say it took me 4 attempts to get the right fit and dimensions. Thankfully I didn't cut the inserts too short!!!
Uncle Paulie, how is that roof rack holding up 9 months later? Would you recommend it? I am now in the market for one and still haven't found any other after market racks that specify they fit an F55.

Also, what cutting are you referring to? What part are the inserts? I saw their video and it didn't look like any modification would be required.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
My only issue with that sort of rack is that unless you clean the feet and the roof really really well you get swirl marks in that lovely black paint-let us know how it's going!

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I love the look of the old style racks. I wish there wold be an easy way to attach them to a 3 Gen Mini.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I love the look of the old style racks. I wish there wold be an easy way to attach them to a 3 Gen Mini.

This is very O.K. ;)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have a Yakima rack on my f56. It's solid, but a bit fiddly to install. There are slits, skillfully hidden, that the J-clamps fit into. It works but probably not as nice as the factory rails (which I specced on my on-order JCW).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Uncle Paulie, how is that roof rack holding up 9 months later? Would you recommend it? I am now in the market for one and still haven't found any other after market racks that specify they fit an F55.

Also, what cutting are you referring to? What part are the inserts? I saw their video and it didn't look like any modification would be required.

Thanks!
Sorry for the late reply. The inserts are the plastic sliders that go inside the roof bars to stop them from moving side to side. I don't think I cut them in the end but can't remember to honest. As for using the the roof rack, it has been fine. I went surfing last month carrying 2 boards and it was fine and dandy!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Uke, I ordered roof rails on my JCW and bought the OEM cross bars. I had two R56's with OEM crossbars and the F model is much easier to set up. I am using Rockymounts Jetline bike trays and carry the front wheels in bags in the back seat.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Agree totally if you do order your car with the roof rails the oem bars are a super scratch free solid easy fit. Independent competitors will easily be able to copy this too so cheaper alternatives should be available!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts