Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just noticed that the black roofline (gutter) on my 2014 F56 is starting to show corrosion under the black trim where it meets the A pillar.

I'm thinking it might be possible to cut the black trim on the underside, peel it back, clean out the corrosion and stick the trim back down. Or make a clean cut in the black and use some black belt line tape to make as good a repair as possible?

Has anyone tackled this or does anyone know of an alternate way to fix this?

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
That's really really unusual, have you had a new screen and the paint has been damaged?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's really really unusual, have you had a new screen and the paint has been damaged?
Not to my knowledge.
The car is relatively new to me but there is nothing in its history to indicate a replacement screen.

My description was a bit vague so here is a photo.
You can see the corrosion starting under the black coating.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Hi @Everywhen

Never had to deal with this myself but I have seen this part removed in order to have PPF applied on the roof

IMO I would remove that roof molding/rain gutter trim and discard it, resolve the issue with corrosion and install a new one :)
- The MINI is a '14, maybe the trim is cracked/worn and its allowing more water underneath it causing the issue

MINI OEM part number: 51337300002
ECS Tuning site with pictures of the underside of the component
: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mini-parts/roof-molding-rain-gutter-right/51337300002/

I hope the issue gets resolved and keep us posted,

Rich

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
As long as its the moulding and not the roof it's pretty common on many cars I've seen around but not Mini. As above,replace it asap?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.
Finally got around to changing over the roof line mouldings.
Couldn't find any instructions on line so just went for it reasoning that pretty much everything else on a MINI clips on.

I used plastic trim removal tools and prised off the flexible end by the windscreen
Hood Automotive tire Bumper Helmet Saw

Then pulled the moulding away from the grey clips. The seal above the door pushes up into a slot in the moulding, so simply pulls out.
No need to remove the door seal.

Tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

There are a series of grey clips into which the moulding clips with thumb pressure.

Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Gas Bumper

It's impossible to get the moulding in the wrong place as it will only align with the grey clips.

The new moulding, dated 2021, has a slight texture to it which the one I removed does not, and the end cap at the hatch end is integral in the later moulding whilst it is a separate piece on the one I removed.

I peeled away the plastic coating on the old moulding to reveal the alloy corrosion.

Bicycle part Automotive tire Rim Bumper Auto part

Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tire Gesture Asphalt

Easy job, less than an hour to complete.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts