Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealership told me I would not have to rotate my tires. Why? is this accurate?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yeah, that sounds... dubious. Never seen a front wheel drive car that had even tire wear across all four tires. I suppose you don't have to rotate the tires and can just buy 4 new tires at once... and I'm sure they'd like that.

I know that BMW has had a habit of saying not to rotate tires on various models (even though Pirelli has said rotating is fine), but I've never heard of anyone having had any problems with rotating tires on a Mini. Soooo...

·
Super Moderator
7,906 Posts
I rotate mine always have. Every change for winters etc . No issues even tyre wear then means you have one big purchase!

·
Registered
508 Posts
This is a 'continental' issue. North Americans are big on tyre rotation but European manufacturers don't recommend it - they say there is extra wear in a tyre adapting to its new position, so there will be less tyre wear if the tyres are left in the same position for their lifetime.

I don't think it really matters that much, so do what you like. It's one of those things that your dad taught you (or didn't) to always do, so you know it's right (or wrong).

It's a bit like oil change frequency, where you will be told that you will be instantly struck dead if you don't follow the advice someone is currently giving you.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
He just wants you to go in and buy tyres when the fronts are shot! Ignore them.

I always rotate and as I've got a second set of winter tyres that I'll use for 4/5 months of the year, I'm hoping I'll only ever need to replace due to punctures ....

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Super Moderator
7,906 Posts
I also find that if you don't rotate them, tyre treads etc change so quickly you can put a pair of fronts on one year as they wear so much faster only to find that in a couple of years when you need rears they don't do that tread any more. call me ocd but I do like the same tyre all round-just seems to make more sense to me, and I know they say axle pairs are ok but.......
If you rotate them you then have 4 worn tyres to change all in one go-you can be saving up for them and then get the same pattern all round. !

·
Registered
64 Posts
I rotate front to back every 5000 miles. Only difference on this car is that the recommended pressure is different front to back so they must be adjusted. Don't listen to that dealer.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Help me out here guys, rotating tyres means to move the front tyres to the back, and the back tyres to the front, right?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Help me out here guys, rotating tyres means to move the front tyres to the back, and the back tyres to the front, right?
It depends...

In my truck, I've just moved front to rear and bought new fronts and that works very well for that specific type of vehicle. For a front wheel only car, some say it is best to buy all 4 at the same time to maintain the original handling balance.

Depending on what kind of car/tire you have, there are options. Assuming your tires are not unidirectional (i.e. meant to run in one direction only), different sizes front to rear, or offset, you can rotate them all over the place. Here are some general guidelines:

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
...Depending on what kind of car/tire you have, there are options...
Even if a tire is omnidirectional (bidirectional?), I only rotate front to back because I believe switching a tire's rotation after driving on it causes undue stress. I may be wrong about that, but it seems logical and makes me feel better. Feel free to prove me wrong if I am. This all only applies to light passenger vehicles, of course. I have no experience with the really heavy stuff.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Now that's a hornet's nest that's been opened.... Tyres must only be rotated in a pattern that your grandad was told by an ancient motoring sage. Any other method will result in instant death or at least being struck by a thunderbolt from the gods (much the same result).

And don't forget to throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder while rotating the tyres - NEVER over the right shoulder (see being struck, etc, above).

I think rotating makes more sense in North America where extreme standing water is more likely, so having similar tyre tread depths will minimise the risk of spinning. European drivers never face the same conditions, despite what they may believe.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Even if a tire is omnidirectional (bidirectional?), I only rotate front to back because I believe switching a tire's rotation after driving on it causes undue stress. I may be wrong about that, but it seems logical and makes me feel better. Feel free to prove me wrong if I am. This all only applies to light passenger vehicles, of course. I have no experience with the really heavy stuff.
Well.... that's definitely a new theory to me, but if it works for ya, then cool. I've not ever read or been advised by a competent tire person or mechanic that it causes undue wear. In fact, most of the available independent literature says by doing full rotation (under the specific conditions above) actually can reduce tire wear - numbers range from 20% to 60% depending on who's doing the talking.

Like I said before... you don't have to rotate them at all. Or you can rotate the suckers every day if you're feelin' it (as long as you're not running unidirectional tires or yada yada yada etc.). So really, as long as you're not doing something specifically wrong, you're not doing something... wrong. Right?

Reality is that all the information out there falls under the heading of general guidance unless you have specific studies from a single manufacturer regarding how their product works on a specific car under a variety of conditions. In which case there's a 70% chance you're a Formula 1 team and can I please have some money?

Soooo..... yeah

·
Registered
91 Posts
We've never rotated tires on our Minis, never had wear issues.

This is all with Coopers - not S models

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks everyone...I'll probably rotate them when dealer does oil change for me. I've always been taught to rotate them. I have 5-10 days before its mine. It just landed New Jersey today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dealership told me I would not have to rotate my tires. Why? is this accurate?
Car weight distribution is different for the front and rear tires. This adds additional wear to the tires carrying the most weight.

Front tires direct the path of the car as they turn left or right. This adds additional wear to front tires.

If you like to accelerate from a stopped position and spin your tires that will add to tire wear.

It all goes back to friction. The tire versus the road. Like dragging a piece of chalk on concrete, it's slowly wearing out.

Proper tire inflation and rotation will extend the life of most tires. Try to replace all four tires at the same time since tires tend to dry rot and have increased chance of tire belt separation with age.

I would go with recommendations from the tire manufacturer and increase or decrease frequency of rotation based on your driving habits, mileage and climate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but would the tire rotation cause issues with the TPMS?

Edit: ignore, found this info elsewhere, can be rotated without issue to TPMS but just reset the TPMS in idrive after rotation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts