Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post up my experiences with my new rubber floor mats in my 2015 JCW with manual transmission, and the operation of my clutch pedal.

Now, I realize it can often take some time to get comfy in a new car and get used to the car's controls, the seating position, etc. But, I've never had such issues with operating a clutch on any vehicle before. Other than the clutch being "light" in my opinion, and it grabs very close to the floor - so it really needs to be depressed fully to the floor unless you want to hear the dreaded "gear grinding" noise.

I've tried different shoes, seat positions, etc. and never felt real comfortable "UNTIL" I decided to remove the optional rubber floor mats and install the factory stock carpet floor mats (mine are black). Well, GREAT SCOTT!..what a magnificent difference ditching the rubber mats made in shiftability!!!!

I doubt I'll ever put them back in the car now that shifting is easy & smooth (as it should be). Absolutely amazing the huge difference it made! For inclement weather, I'll be getting some coocomats.

For those of you with the Auto, I'm sure this has never even crossed your mind. But, I would be interested in hearing from those of you with a clutch pedal if you've experienced the same thing.

John

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've noticed that the clutch engagement point has crept up to about the middle of the pedal travel, which I appreciate. It's not the most graceful clutch, being a bit grabby, and it doesn't help the pedal feel is a bit nebulous. In all I'd say the clutch and pedal is the biggest gripe about the car, which is basically looking for things to complain about. It's still a joy and totally painless compared to the ceramic 6-puck I have in the turbo Miata.

·
Registered
457 Posts
John I put my rubber mats on top of the velour ones..........nice and comfy with no pedal problems:D Sorry.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John I put my rubber mats on top of the velour ones..........nice and comfy with no pedal problems:D Sorry.
Must be my clumsy feet! As long as it works for me....I was not happy with my heel draggin on the rubber all the time. The MINI clutch is not like BMW's...never felt uncomfortable with any clutch before. I'm fine with a less grippy mat underneath now! ;)

Reactions: Davo56

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Strange my clutch is lovely.Cooper petrol.rubber mats on over the velour atm.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Can't do this in Canada......water runs or rolls off the rubber mat and onto the floor beneath.....salt stains would occur. A workable solution would all depend where you live in the world and how bad the winter is to you. I'll take Scotland weather over Canada, anyday. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't let Toyota hear you guys. You should only have one set of mats on the floor, and properly fastened with the velcro pads. It would not be good to have the rubber mats slip and get caught up in your pedals.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't let Toyota hear you guys. You should only have one set of mats on the floor, and properly fastened with the velcro pads. It would not be good to have the rubber mats slip and get caught up in your pedals.
I came here to say this. As a service advisor, I must mention how unsafe this is. DO NOT layer your mats. Just one set at a time.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to tell you guys this, but that rubber floor mat "ain't gonna slide!" LOL!

The stock carpet mat with velcro attaching points will hold everything in place nicely. That's my problem with the rubber mat...it's tacky as heck (which may be good for some), and it sticks to everything, including shoe heels! ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have weathertech style mats with MINI logo and they work fine and would be ideal if you seek a slippery smooth surface. The rubber ones are in the garage along with the carpet mats - I never tried either of them. In Canada we all use Weathertech because of snow, grit and salt in winter. The Weathertech seem to be made of vinyl.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I came here to say this. As a service advisor, I must mention how unsafe this is. DO NOT layer your mats. Just one set at a time.

Interesting. My dealer is the one who placed the rubber ones over the carpet ones when he delivered it. You'd have thought if it were even a little potentially dangerous to do so that he'd have tossed the carpet ones in the boot. I never gave it a thought about it being unsafe.

Then again, I have an automatic, so none of the clutch issues mentioned here apply. Funny thing is I've always had manny tranny envy. I know how to drive a stick and have loved driving them (unless I'm in San Francisco), but have ONLY owned Mini automatics (2006 and now 2015), because my wife cannot drive stick. Hearing though what has been said here, not about the layered rubber over the carpet being a potential issue, but rather that the clutch release engage the gear point is not ideal makes me lose my envy. The paddle shifters were always a nice consolation (though I liked the configuration on my 2006 - pull up and press down - to my 2015 - which is right and left), but now I can set my manny tranny envy aside.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting. My dealer is the one who placed the rubber ones over the carpet ones when he delivered it. You'd have thought if it were even a little potentially dangerous to do so that he'd have tossed the carpet ones in the boot. I never gave it a thought about it being unsafe.

Then again, I have an automatic, so none of the clutch issues mentioned here apply. Funny thing is I've always had manny tranny envy. I know how to drive a stick and have loved driving them (unless I'm in San Francisco), but have ONLY owned Mini automatics (2006 and now 2015), because my wife cannot drive stick. Hearing though what has been said here, not about the layered rubber over the carpet being a potential issue, but rather that the clutch release engage the gear point is not ideal makes me lose my envy. The paddle shifters were always a nice consolation (though I liked the configuration on my 2006 - pull up and press down - to my 2015 - which is right and left), but now I can set my manny tranny envy aside.
My dealer gave me two front floor mats, since I had said I wanted to buy those, and they removed the stock mats and put them in the trunk. So, from the first moment I drove the car up to almost 400 miles I didn't know any better. My problems with my heel dragging on the rubber mat was frustrating with the clutch use, so I decided to put the stock carpet mats back in and the difference was absolutely astonishing! My foot no longer hung up with releasing the clutch pedal and the drivability was immensely better....now, I can drive natural without trying to configure my position to avoid the issue I was having...it's the "little things".

Everyone is different, but that was a real issue for me. I would never slam the clutch though as I prefer the "control" of driving and becoming "one with the car" using the clutch and making things happen when I "want", not when the automatic does the work and thinking for me!

I admit to being old school, and the F56 automatic is amazing. Under different circumstances I may have gone with the automatic...I just didn't know much about the Steptronic Trans...amazing work of art it is!

My wife doesn't drive manual either, but that didn't really matter in my decision this time...it has in the past. My first BMW was a used '85 318i with an automatic (so she could drive it)..and I can't remember her ever driving it anyway...it was a real "dog" power-wise (the auto killed the power)...I said never again! :) I know, that's like comparing apples to oranges when considering the technology in autos these days. But, it's hard to shake habits.

I'm completely happy with having the manual transmission in my JCW...I wouldn't do it any other way!

Some of my issue with the clutch is simply getting used to it also...but that darn rubber floormat was a real headache for me. For inclement weather I'm going to give cocomats a try....they are cool looking, sturdy, yet non-rubbery, so that might be an answer at some point, as I know the stock mats won't last forever..but they are fine for now.

John

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I use both sets .there's no way those rubber mats are ever going to cause an issue. Used over velour since Xmas and they never budge. If they did I agree it could be dangerous but I'm happy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As to wear and tear on the rubber ones, I had rubber mats in my 2006. After about 6-7 years my heel wore through the driver's side and I had to replace both, because they are sold in pairs. Maybe 6-7 years sounds like a long time, but it was probably at about 40K miles, or less. Some folks might drive that amount in half the time It took me.

·
Registered
71 Posts
That time of the year and I've begun looking at floor mats. Can someone confirm that the Weathertech mats fit properly in a standard transmission car? Are they superior (more slush capacity without leaking) than the MINI rubber mats?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
I'm very pleased with my mini mats. They have a good lip and deep grooves. And the mini logos look smart!not cheap though!

Reactions: Tiger

·
Registered
494 Posts
I use my Mini Rubber Matts in the winter.....
To catch the melted snow (water), salt, dirt etc...
I go to the local Dollar Store and buy a half dozen microfibre towels.....
I use one at at a time, place on the floor to soak up the melted mess.
It works, cleans nicely and a cheap work around to help keep your car
in showroom condition.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use my Mini Rubber Matts in the winter.....

To catch the melted snow (water), salt, dirt etc...

I go to the local Dollar Store and buy a half dozen microfibre towels.....

I use one at at a time, place on the floor to soak up the melted mess.

It works, cleans nicely and a cheap work around to help keep your car

in showroom condition.

Great idea! Prevention is worth a pound of cure. I didn't bother with the 540 but this time around, I feel like I have a responsibility to keep her clean.

·
Registered
494 Posts
thanks !

when they become dirty,
don't forget to throw them into the wash, then dry on low heat
and keep reusing them again and again...
environmentally friendly too !

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm very pleased with my mini mats. They have a good lip and deep grooves. And the mini logos look smart!not cheap though!
I've been very happy with those so far as well. Mine were free from the dealer and they work like a charm. I do like the Mini logo on them as well. Glad I left the little plastic cover on my logos... I have a bad habit of sliding my feet across the one on my side when I'm wearing my work boots

1 - 20 of 21 Posts