Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Indianapolis. Just ordered my beloved Volcanic Orange 2015 Hard Top w 16" wheels & standard run flat all seasons. I'm told they are hard and can easily lead to bent rims in the right pot hole. I'm also told they are awful in snow, which have plenty of in Indiana. Since I'm leasing, my strategy is to immediately replace the RFs w normal all-season radials & store the original RFs in my garage until the lease is up. I plan to carry a can of fix-a-flat in my boot and simply replace any damaged tire. Anyone else try this approach? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Hi there here in the uk that is how many minis come ie no spare can of moose and a pump. Not ideal but better than run flats you are right they are vile had em on my r56 and the ride on std winter tyres was sooo much nicer. They are noisy too.I hate them and they are very expensive!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi there here in the uk that is how many minis come ie no spare can of moose and a pump. Not ideal but better than run flats you are right they are vile had em on my r56 and the ride on std winter tyres was sooo much nicer. They are noisy too.I hate them and they are very expensive!
I had standard tyres on 17" JCW wheels on my 2013 Clubman Sport cooper D.
I now have 17" cosmos alloys on my F56 Cooper D with runflats and they ride much better than the non rf's on my previous car.
My F56 s fitted with Dunlops.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jerry for the quick reply. Very affirming. I figure I'll have to replace the RFs just prior to the end of the lease anyway. Also no sense in wrecking a perfectly good car because I was too cheap (or stupid) to put on some good winter rubber.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I have runflats on my F56 coupled with Variable Damper Control, and I think the ride is lovely.

I've only ever had runflats on my Mini's and never had an issue in any weather including snow.

I can't say what the difference is with non runflats, but I've never found the ride overly hard

·
Registered
508 Posts
I've only ever had runflats on my Mini's and never had an issue in any weather including snow.
Though as the OP is in Indiana and you are in London, the word 'snow' means different things in those places. It's a bit like someone in the Sahara saying the wipers work fine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hello from Indianapolis. Just ordered my beloved Volcanic Orange 2015 Hard Top w 16" wheels & standard run flat all seasons. I'm told they are hard and can easily lead to bent rims in the right pot hole. I'm also told they are awful in snow, which have plenty of in Indiana. Since I'm leasing, my strategy is to immediately replace the RFs w normal all-season radials & store the original RFs in my garage until the lease is up. I plan to carry a can of fix-a-flat in my boot and simply replace any damaged tire. Anyone else try this approach? Thanks!
I'm going to stick with the RFs until they need replacing. Then we'll see. The RFs ride smoothly - No problems yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dislike run flats (a lot!), I would though say that Goodyear runflats are the best with Bridgestones being the worst.

My wife ran a 116d with virtually the same tyre size (runflats) as the Mini on 17's and back to back Goodyears are much more compliant in the sidewall so crash and bang a lot lot less than the factory fitted Bridgestones.

The wrong tyres on a car can ruin the entire experience....

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Hi had continental sport contact 5 runflats-totally awful-my wife has the same tyre non runflat in a roadster s-fabulous ride!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Though as the OP is in Indiana and you are in London, the word 'snow' means different things in those places. It's a bit like someone in the Sahara saying the wipers work fine.
Love your reply! Snow in Indiana means anything from black ice to 12" in one day. On the latter, my Mini stays in the garage and I call in sick.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm in Toronto, we get snow and more than a bit of ice. I think RFs are a good idea. For more on why and other opinions on RFs, go to:

http://www.minif56.com/forum/401-tires-wheels-suspension/14441-run-flats.html
Oost, have you driven a mini using all-season tires? We're supposed to get a very bad winter here in the GTA so I'm a bit concerned if I should have went with winter/summer tire package instead... Granted I actually don't drive to and from work as I work at home, so that may not be an issue.

This is me talking after giving up a 4x4 SUV that was fantastic in the winter.. but I do remember driving a tiny hyundai accent hatch in winter and the thing did fantastic on all seasons... I guess I will find out.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Oost, have you driven a mini using all-season tires? We're supposed to get a very bad winter here in the GTA so I'm a bit concerned if I should have went with winter/summer tire package instead... Granted I actually don't drive to and from work as I work at home, so that may not be an issue.

This is me talking after giving up a 4x4 SUV that was fantastic in the winter.. but I do remember driving a tiny hyundai accent hatch in winter and the thing did fantastic on all seasons... I guess I will find out.
Hey Thunder,

I wish I could go with "all" seasons but my experience is that they are only for every season if you live in New Mexico. They don't handle the cold, or snow or ice very well at all. If you don't drive much in the winter, you might be ok. But if you have to drive in any weather, I highly recommend WINTER tires. As for experience, I drove my previous MINI (R55s) through 4 Toronto winters including last year's ice storm. I did that with winter tires. Early in the season, when I hadn't changed tires yet I got caught in a light snow storm and could barely keep the wheels from spinning. The performance tires that come with your MINI don't have the flexibility at cold temperatures nor do they release snow and ice from the threads like winter tires do. Braking distance is greatly improved with winter tires in winter conditions. Even with winter tires, you can get stuck, but your chances are greatly diMINIshed.

If you decide to opt out of winter tires, you need to rethink your driving style. Allow more room to stop, ease the throttle when starting off (use the green mode too), drive much slower and take corners with a lot of care. Assess a hill BEFORE trying to climb it, especially on Toronto's often under-cleared side streets. Keep the number of CAA handy and don't be afraid to leave the car at home when it snows.

I would highly recommend winter tires, they will greatly enhance your driving experience as well as extend the life of your regular tires. The cost of them can be spread over 3 or 4 seasons. Downsides; they aren't cheap, especially run flats on their own rims, and that you may have storage issues. But I do feel that for safety's sake they are well worth it. If you go with them, make sure you buy a brand that works at higher speeds and is designed to compliment the performance aspects your MINI.

Just my opinion,
Oost

For your consideration;
http://www.apa.ca/WinterTires2011-Performance.asp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts