Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've seen a few posts talking about run flats.

I had run flats on a previous mini and one the current countryman we've got normal tyres. I've ordered a MCS as a second car and opted for the 17" wheels with run flats.

What are the views on run flats (apart from extra cost) do they make for a harder ride?

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
79 Posts
I found them pretty frustrating when living on a new build estate- I had a couple of nails in tyres and each time was told they couldn't be plugged as non-runflats could, so I'd have to get new ones. At the time there was limited choice for replacements as well, and the warning light inside was constantly going off. I even bought a replacement wheel at one point as I was told it might be down to wear on the edges of the wheel letting out air, but it eventually just stopped.

Re ride firmness my old Cooper had a really hard ride but I'm not sure how much of that I could put down to the runflats. My JCW was firm but not jarring and I think that had runflats too. They will have a firmer ride as the side walls are solid but I don't know how much of an impact it makes.

I decided to go non-runflat for my new Cooper S but runflats can be convenient. Minis are designed and built to go with runflats so it shouldn't be too much of an issue IMO

·
Registered
360 Posts
Technically speaking they will be harder to ride on, but in reality as the car is designed to take them they won't be anywhere near as hard as some claim them to be.

Runflats got a bad name in the early days and haven't really recovered. This is a shame. I don't have runflats on my F56 but I had them on an R56 (great) and R50 (less great).

Normal tyres will ride a little better, grip a little better (if you buy the best), and will be a bit cheaper, but it's possible that one day runflats could save your life.

The bit about puncture repair is sadly true though. They can be repaired but not all garages like to participate....

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had RF on my R55s. The summer ones were ok (Continentals), but I really enjoyed the car more when I went to non RF. The ride was smoother and I felt more connected to the road. In the winter I ran RF Dunlop wintersport tires and I liked them a lot. Great in the cold and snow and built for high speed. I suppose that winter is the best reason to have a RF as you just don't want to think of changing or repairing a flat in the deep cold, slushy wetness that is Canada.

So the F56 came with RF Pirellis, I feel that they are a vast improvement over the early generation of run flats. Not nearly as hard feeling and the do feel connected to the road. I've done some spirited driving and these have not let me down. A weakness might be the grip in the rain, not as good as my previous Bridgestone RE 760 tires. Part of the better drive with the Pirellis must be that the suspension is set up for run flats and the F56 in my mind has a much better suspension then that of the R55. I am currently looking for a winter set and I will go with the latest generation of Blizzak run flats, for the reasons above.

Ok, so if you get a flat, it sucks, these are expensive tires. My recommendation is; don't buy them at the dealers. I found that my dealer was easily, 20 - 30% more than what a tire discounter charged and let's face it, almost any garage can mount a tire.

So for safety (imagine a blowout when you're carving a monster corner at speed) and for convenience (stuck at the side of the road in an ice storm) you can't beat a run flat tire. The question is, do you want to pay a premium for that. I do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
had them on my clubman and drove home from
the lake district to Liverpool on a flat which was
good. But had to buy a new tyre as they would
not repair the run flat. made sure that my F56
did not have run flats and that I got a space
saver when I ordered my car. just a tip order
the space saver when you order your car as
it will be cheaper than if you order it as an after
market option. as my mate found out. The
dealers don't tell you this.

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Had Continental runflats on my r56 s, and hate them with a vengeance-my wife has a roadster s without runflats-QUIETER and much much better ride-specced my lovely new f56 without them and am VERY happy!

·
Registered
1 Posts
@madday

Hello there,

What is the space saver please? and does anyone know if this option is available on the 2015 Countryman?

Can anyone help? I really don't know what to do. I read about the harsh ride with flat runs, and i'm panicking. I just ordered a CM Cooper S, with 17" alloys and flat run tyres that come with the media pack yesterday...(hopefully theres an amendment period?)
I drive children in my car prone to car/travel sickness, so anything to improve the ride and smoothness is essential. I want to keep the fan alloys, but change the flat runs to regular tyres. On a spec I created before, I could delete the FR tyres and save £88.00, but i'm not sure if it allows me to keep the fan alloys and literally change the tyres only? I found that out by accident when the dealer was adding everything up, but i forgot to amend this issue on my final spec :(...
If I can't amend the order now, i'll have to get new tyres fitted, but the regular tyre (non FR tyre is 16") will a 17" with regular tyres make for a smooth ride, or will i need to go down to a 16" alloy? please help

·
Registered
1 Posts
RF or NRFT - that is the question

Hello everyone, I just bought a used 2013 Roadster S and hate the RFT that came with the car. What would be the best NRFT - I live in Northern California and I ride gently, like my Lexus. This is my second car. I am leaning more towards Pirelli P7 All Season. Appreciate your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts