Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ignored the handbook; here's my routine on my Cooper petrol.

My car has 1000 miles on it-to this point I didn't labour the engine,(so ignoring the green fish-he seems to want you to change up VERY early! or exceed 3000 revs-v easy really as in 6th I would be doing 80mph (cooper)

Next 1000 mls max revs when warm, 4000 and then 5000 for the next.

I never exceed 3k revs when cold. at 6000 mls I will change the oil but leave the service indicator as is so when mini service it they stick to the regime-I change the oil every 6000mls which would fit in nicely with the 18000 mls service time the indicator seems to show.
ANy one else being careful or just thrashing from the get go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
2,000 miles now on mine and starting to open her up from time to time once she is warmed up.
I must say what a dream of a car my Cooper S is!

It does seem very fast and roundabouts just seem to be minor spots in the road.

Had some great drives so far and no matter what I do, the wife seems very relaxed with the driving (I think the car is just so much of a nice environment to be in that she is chilled out and tends not to brake for me anymore;).
Also she enjoys it in sports mode as much as I do.

I took it easy for the first 1500 miles or so, but I have to say that the 2litre motor is so very flexible it just doesn't seem stressed at all.

Gearbox is still fairly tight (ish), but certainly not as tight as my old R56 cooper was, even the engine on that seemed very tight at first.

Start working her gradually up now and enjoy:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
I have about 4 or 5 more weeks to wait before I get my F55 MCS and have been wondering about breaking it in, so these are very helpful comments. Thank you. My plan was to stick with what Mini recommends - so no revs above 4500 for the first 1200 miles (at least, that's what it says in the F56 MCS manual) - but your more gradual approach seems very sensible jeremybingham. One thing I was wondering about was use of the paddle shifters. I have never had these on an automatic car before and am looking forward to playing with them. I'm assuming, though, that downshifting to a lower gear using the paddles means a sudden surge in revs (???). If that's true, would it be safer not to use the paddles at all during the breaking in period - above certain speeds at least? Seems like that will be very hard to resist for 1200 miles!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
You have to be carefull not to be to gentle or you end up polishing the bores rather than bedding them in.

The handbook recomended way is the best as it gives the engine a bit of work without over stressing it, no labouring in high gears and no thrashing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I have done nearly 3500 miles since picking the car up 2nd of September. I worried a lot about how to best break in the car, and I asked many different people. In the end I followed the manual mostly with the occasional blast down a quiet road. I would say 90% of the time during the first 1200 miles I played by the book, but the other 10% I let the car know what it was built for. After that point I started to gradually push it harder, but because of how I broke it in, it was already no stranger to harder acceleration and higher revs.

I mainly drive in Green and drive economically but I get my days where I push the car harder and the car feels great. Of course to actually get proper performance you find yourself having to rev higher, although it pulls at 1500 revs in every gear, economical driving and performance do not go hand in hand.

I have not changed the engine oil because I was informed that there is no need to service your car unless the car indicates you should. To conclude my car feels great to drive, it's not hammered every time I get in it, and whether driving fast or slow it reminds me exactly why I chose to purchase the MINI Cooper S.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds good; shall be opening mine up now; I have to say I am not a fan of green mode-seems so sluggish-sport mode is amazingly sharp, and in total contrast-spend most of my time in the middle but the sport puts a grin on my face when I am on my own already-and that's keeping the revs down! Cant wait to open it up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
I have done nearly 3500 miles since picking the car up 2nd of September. I worried a lot about how to best break in the car, and I asked many different people. In the end I followed the manual mostly with the occasional blast down a quiet road. I would say 90% of the time during the first 1200 miles I played by the book, but the other 10% I let the car know what it was built for. After that point I started to gradually push it harder, but because of how I broke it in, it was already no stranger to harder acceleration and higher revs.

I mainly drive in Green and drive economically but I get my days where I push the car harder and the car feels great. Of course to actually get proper performance you find yourself having to rev higher, although it pulls at 1500 revs in every gear, economical driving and performance do not go hand in hand.

I have not changed the engine oil because I was informed that there is no need to service your car unless the car indicates you should. To conclude my car feels great to drive, it's not hammered every time I get in it, and whether driving fast or slow it reminds me exactly why I chose to purchase the MINI Cooper S.
GREEN MODE -GREEN MODE? For goodness sake I have tried, believe me I HAVE tried. But I just can't help it, my hand reaches down on its own accord and puts the car into sports mode. Who cares about fuel costs, lets have some fun - unless of course you are a Scotsman? Oh wait a minute..... oops!:eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
No need to be offensive towards some of members of this forum. This may be intended as a "joke" but I do not find it in the least bit funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
I quite like green mode but the little fish doesn't like me :( It keeps docking me stars when I don't change up a gear quickly enough. I guess with an automatic you wouldn't get stars gear changing...
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Me too Mint Mark-he says I am fine with braking/anticipation but I lose loads of stars with the gear changing-just seems so low-and feels like I am labouring the engine which you shouldn t do when new and I don't like doing anyway! Happy engine =grumpy fish!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
Yeah, and, it warns you to change up and gives you about half a second before punishing you! I'm usually trying to steer through a junction or something!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I am also nearing the 1000 mile mark and im quite surprised how tight everything still is...a bit like a scotsman i suppose oops!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,176 Posts
Green Mode to run it in?

I have an MCS In Production, Estimated Date of Birth 10/31/2014.

I want to gently break the car in. Trouble is my last MINI, 2010 hardtop with JCW tune, has spoilt me and by instinct I now hit the Sport button as part of starting any MINI I drive.

So I'm thinking, maybe if I force myself to (gagging noises) set Green Mode when I start up, I'll be forced to drive like Grandma instead of joyfully pwning everyone at the stop lights like I did in my R56 (May it Rest In Peace).

Any opinions? Especially from those that (more gagging noises) actually use Green Mode? Will that lead to a kinder, gentler break in than the woohoo-cleared-for-takeoff I have planned for post-run-in?

Thanks in advance!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
844 Posts
I think the best way to run in a car is to drive sensibly but at the same time give the engine some variety in the way you accelerate, you don't need to baby it.

Also once you get to the endcof this period build up the max revs you use, dont immediately go to the red line.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
7,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Green mode certainly dead end everything so would slow you down Luke BUT personally it wants you to change up a bit too early to prevent labouring the engine!
 
  • Like
Reactions: uke

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Just picked up my MCS ..

about 25 miles on it -- so far reved it up to about 4k rpm .. maybe once up to 5000 rpm ..

feels great --

dont plan on red-lining it until i hit 500 miles. . -- then its open season.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top