Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question, does anyone know if it's possible to run more than one application at a time using the connected app? For example I wish to try out the streetwise function, but also want to listen to Spotify on my journey. Last time I tried this the streetwise function stopped as soon as I opened Spotify. Don't really want to have to keep it on streetwise for the entire journey.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Simple question, does anyone know if it's possible to run more than one application at a time using the connected app? For example I wish to try out the streetwise function, but also want to listen to Spotify on my journey. Last time I tried this the streetwise function stopped as soon as I opened Spotify. Don't really want to have to keep it on streetwise for the entire journey.
What is your media setup? I have XL and I remember listening to Spotify via Connected (split view) and opened StreetWise on the main window. The music never stopped playing while StreetWise still tracked my trip.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your media setup? I have XL and I remember listening to Spotify via Connected (split view) and opened StreetWise on the main window. The music never stopped playing while StreetWise still tracked my trip.
I don't have XL, just visual boost so can't split screen. I was under the impression from all the 'instructions' (which are more like marketing spiel) that you just had to plug in the phone at the start of the journey to start streetwise off. Then when you unplugged it, it released you'd ended the journey and saved the details? I thought this would therefore just be able to run in the background without having to be on the mini's screen.

If not, I really don't see the point, as it means the mini's screen has to be taken up by the streetwise app for the entire journey, and any press or click off of the streetwise screen would end the app and render any tracking up to that point pointless.

Spotify seems to be able to run in the background (i.e still plays music no matter which screen is selected in the mini), but as I mentioned in another thread, the only way to change songs is by using the i-drive controller when the spotify app is open on the screen. So in doing this, would require navigating away from the streetwise app, stopping it from running (if it in fact isn't able to run in the background).

Hope I'm making sense, just want to know if I'm doing something wrong, and whether it is possible to have the streetwise app running while doing other stuff on the screen. I think it could be a useful feature for me if so. If not however, I can see it not being used at all, as I don't really want my screen taken up by it for my entire journey without the possibility of pressing anything.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I learned that for the MINI Connected app to work it has to be launched on the phone after connecting the phone because when I connect the phone then immediately go to "Connected" on the screen menu, it will tell me that the app has to be running (even if the app is in the background). This observation could possibly apply only to iPhones since Apple hasn't implemented true multitasking on iPhones.

I'm sorry I can't speak for Visual Boost. I just thought that once the app is connected, StreetWise still works in the background. Frowns to the MINI Connected app developers for missing this detail. Hope they improve on this for the next app update release.

In conclusion, I don't think you were doing anything wrong or anything that doesn't make sense.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I learned that for the MINI Connected app to work it has to be launched on the phone after connecting the phone because when I connect the phone then immediately go to "Connected" on the screen menu, it will tell me that the app has to be running (even if the app is in the background). This observation could possibly apply only to iPhones since Apple hasn't implemented true multitasking on iPhones.

I'm sorry I can't speak for Visual Boost. I just thought that once the app is connected, StreetWise still works in the background. Frowns to the MINI Connected app developers for missing this detail. Hope they improve on this for the next app update release.

In conclusion, I don't think you were doing anything wrong or anything that doesn't make sense.
Yeah I just sat and tried a few things for a while. I think the streetwise app will work in the background with all of the other built in mini connected apps. The problem comes when opening 'additional apps' such as Spotify. When you open Spotify or other additional apps, the connected screen in the car says that the app on the phone must be open (similar to having to have the connected app on the phone open). This is where the problem occurs, as the car makes the phone switch to the Spotify app to play music, quitting the connected app, so it loses connection with streetwise. When selecting streetwise again from the car's menu it quits the Spotify app and loads connected again.

So your point about the iPhone and multitasking appears to be true. Annoying, as the app on the Android has nothing, and my s5 can multitask. Whereas the app on the iPhone has a lot more, but you can only use one thing at a time which is pretty pointless. Especially while driving, as there's nothing easy about switching between the app selections, causing the iPhone to disconnect and reconnect and generally annoy.

Maybe I can have streetwise on the go through the iPhone on the usb connection, then play music through the s5 over Bluetooth..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts