Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search but couldn't find the topic. The new Clubman S (or announced but not released Countryman S) are on the short list to replace my VW Passat TDI after buyback. Also, with retirement considering purchasing an RV and travel. Is anyone or can the Clubman be towed on a dolly with the front wheels raised. I realize AWD cannot so limited to FWD. Also, not interested in "dingy" towing 4 wheels down as officially not supported by Mini and voids warranty despite many people modifying earlier mini's (manual transmission only) and companies sell baseplates to attach hitch. Due to the warranty issue, I would dolly tow only as no modifications are required that gives away that was towed. Plus, those successful modifications referenced in RV forums were on totally different chassis/drivetrains so even that may not be viable for the current model. Anybody have any insight into this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We dolly tow a 2015 Mini Cooper S 2 door hardtop (automatic). I don't know of any reason why you couldn't do the same with a FWD Clubman. You do have to make sure you chose a dolly that can handle a low clearance vehicle. We chose an American Car Dolly over ACME for a few reasons. Price was $1500 (lower than most others), its a local business (Ft. Morgan, CO) and they delivered it to my driveway without additional shipping charges. Apparently Gary spends a great deal of his life driving around the country delivering them - with as many as 10 in tandem behind his truck.

Its got electric brakes and I got the on-dolly electric brake controller. The brake controller does seem sensitive even when dialed down (or the Mini is too light) The brakes will locking up on gravel and grab in slow traffic. When we pull it out of storage I'll adjust the brakes and see if it gets better. I've also resurrected my Tekonsha P3 controller and will see if it works better than the on-dolly controller.(plus I'll have in-cab adjustability)

We've towed the Mini about 3500 miles with no significant issues. Its a low profile dolly and we get the Mini on with no trouble. We do have to strap down the non-locking steering wheel as the dolly has a turntable. I'm thinking of locking down the turntable and towing without the steering wheel straps (ACME style).

We have had occasional issues with the Mini throwing up several diagnostics after towing it for awhile. We get "Drive Train Malfunction", "ABS Trouble" and "TPMS Trouble" diagnostics, though the only consistent one is the Drive Train Malfunction. The diagnostics all have cleared after driving the Mini for a few minutes. I've mentioned this to Mini and the service advisor told me that they have updated software to address this. I just haven't gotten down there to get it updated.

Seems to happen about 50% of the time, but I can't figure out a pattern. I can tow 100 miles and get the diagnostics and drive 1000 miles and get nothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
We have had occasional issues with the Mini throwing up several diagnostics after towing it for awhile. We get "Drive Train Malfunction", "ABS Trouble" and "TPMS Trouble" diagnostics, though the only consistent one is the Drive Train Malfunction. The diagnostics all have cleared after driving the Mini for a few minutes. I've mentioned this to Mini and the service advisor told me that they have updated software to address this. I just haven't gotten down there to get it updated.

Seems to happen about 50% of the time, but I can't figure out a pattern. I can tow 100 miles and get the diagnostics and drive 1000 miles and get nothing.
AdamLZ, on youtube, just explained that the MINIs can be, and should be, put into test mode, or "dyno mode", in order to prevent this code.
This should cover the how to

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Hee hee is that euro emissions regulation test defeat mode. Oops sorry that would be vw!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting post. I wonder if it works the same when the back wheels are turning and the front wheels are not. Also does the dyno mode stay on when you shut the engine down. Implication is that the mode resets to normal when you start the car, but is it in effect between the time when the engine is shut down after loading onto a dolly and when its started to take it off. I have the take the Mini in in March for oil change and to get the passenger side seat belt fixed (keeps locking up and wife does not like it). I'll discuss this with them a little further.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I see this is an older post, but I just bought a 2nd hand American Tow Dolly and I have a 2008 Mini Cooper Convertible that I'm hoping to tow behind my motorhome. I tried to load it up today just to check out the clearance and the bottom of my front bumper cover makes contact with the tow dolly front tire stop/ rachet strap bar. I was hesitant to take it to the point the tire drops into the deck as I didnt want to pull the bumper off when I backed off the dolly. Does your mini clear ok, or are there some contact issues? Also- on the truck I was trying it out on the hitch height is about 21". I'm wondering if dropping the hitch height will improve the angle and help with clearance issues as well. Something to try before I cut the Tire Stop/ Rachet bar off and weld it back on lower I suppose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I am new to towing and I have Mini cooper S 2018 FWD automatic and need help with following issue . I cant tell if steering wheel is locked while park as its very hard to turn once its in park. Whats the best tow dolly for this car a fixed or pivoting one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts