Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Afternoon all,

Those of you who may have been around other MINI forums may have an inkling about what threads of this title used be about - basically, I think I started the first one back in 2002 on MINI2, and quite a few of us ran our thoughts through this thread.

So, I'm thinking of coming back to the fold, but I'm very upon the air on the speccin' front, as I was back in 2002.

So lest assume the following for starters:

Cooper S 3 door

Between black with a black roof, or black with a white roof.

Chilli Pack
Leather Cross Punch Carbon Black
Tentacle wheels
Seat heating
Chromeline interior
Front armrest
LED headlights
Visual boost

Thats the basics - on top of that I'm thinking about adding:

JCW steering wheel
JCW roof spoiler
Anthracite headlining

Now, I like the idea of Chilli red with a black roof - is Chilli red available with the JCW kit?

For interior trim, I had a notion for glowing red as the colour line - probably better on a CR car, as opposed to a black one.

Few questions:

Is album art displayed while streaming form an iPhone or only when connected via USB?

Whats the best dash trim? Piano Black shows fingerprints too much?

Any thoughts on the JCW kit?

Tint the rear windows or not?

Anyone have an experience of the 18" wheel upgrade on the JCW kit? Ride harsh or not?

And a big one - S petrol or S diesel - over here in Ireland, I think the diesel will always have a better resale value......

Good to be back Speccin' again, not many of the oldies still around, hope some of the new peeps will chip in ! :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Deffo get the rear Windows Tinted.
Don't get Piano black. Only looks nice when it's not touched.

Petrol wins hands down for me...

Depends what you want from the car. Economy or out and out fun.
In my eyes the diesel engine is too heavy for the F56, and you won't the entertaining noises you get with the petrol. The Turbo noise and exhaust burble make the petrol a no brainer..

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the glowing red interior would work with CR or MB personally. Maybe go with some red highlights on the outside too if you go with MB? Have to love the red and black combo! I have blazing red with the glowing red interior colour line and piano black trim. I think the piano black looks really classy but yes it shows fingerprints.

I went for tinted rear windows and wouldn't change it. Again I think it looks quite classy and helps give it a sportier look. The JCW pack came out after I'd ordered and isn't available in blazing red so I couldn't go for it but I do have the JCW spoiler and steering wheel and the anthracite headlining, all of which I think look really good.

For me the LED headlights and visual boost radio are a must, as is the chilli pack. Think carefully about the front armrest as it really gets in the way when you're using the handbrake and costs a fair bit for what you get.

Can't really comment on petrol vs diesel as for me it wasn't even really a consideration- petrol me for every time

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Sounds a great spec, heated front screen is handy and if you want a roofrack the rails. And they lessen the water when you o pen the doors. How about black then getting a red roof wrap and viper bonnet stripes. Seen one on nam I think and it looked truly gorgeous. You could then have the red colour line inside. Personally I liked the standard dash trim on my Cooper and the cooper s is even nicer. Piano black is nice but as you say a pain to keep clea n. I was under the impression the chilli red had to come with the jcw exterior but this may have changed. Staying away from the configurator at the moment. Don't want tempting!

Reactions: AidenL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deffo get the rear Windows Tinted.

Petrol wins hands down for me...

Depends what you want from the car. Economy or out and out fun.
In my eyes the diesel engine is too heavy for the F56, and you won't the entertaining noises you get with the petrol. The Turbo noise and exhaust burble make the petrol a no brainer..
Fun for sure - but depreciation is no fun at the time to trade in !

Over here in Ireland, petrol cars have died a death - seems the only MINIs sold in petrol are the very basic models.

My test drive last week was in a petrol S - and yeah, heart says petrol for sure....

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Ps me too 're engine petrol every time. Arm rest does raise out of the way. I love my head up display to btw. Too many choices if you have the money. Fab good hunting!

Reactions: AidenL

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the glowing red interior would work with CR or MB personally. Maybe go with some red highlights on the outside too if you go with MB? Have to love the red and black combo! I have blazing red with the glowing red interior colour line and piano black trim. I think the piano black looks really classy but yes it shows fingerprints.

I went for tinted rear windows and wouldn't change it. Again I think it looks quite classy and helps give it a sportier look. The JCW pack came out after I'd ordered and isn't available in blazing red so I couldn't go for it but I do have the JCW spoiler and steering wheel and the anthracite headlining, all of which I think look really good.

For me the LED headlights and visual boost radio are a must, as is the chilli pack. Think carefully about the front armrest as it really gets in the way when you're using the handbrake and costs a fair bit for what you get.

Can't really comment on petrol vs diesel as for me it wasn't even really a consideration- petrol me for every time
So the JCW pack only comes In Chilli red? That suits me.....as you can see, i have a thing for red MINIs ! Wife fancies all black though.....

Paying for the JCW wheel, spoiler, anthracite headlining and a wheel upgrade pushes me closer to just going for the full JCW pack anyway cost wise?

Sounds a great spec, heated front screen is handy and if you want a roofrack the rails. And they lessen the water when you o pen the doors. How about black then getting a red roof wrap and viper bonnet stripes. Seen one on nam I think and it looked truly gorgeous. You could then have the red colour line inside. Personally I liked the standard dash trim on my Cooper and the cooper s is even nicer. Piano black is nice but as you say a pain to keep clea n. I was under the impression the chilli red had to come with the jcw exterior but this may have changed. Staying away from the configurator at the moment. Don't want tempting!
Yeah, had the heated screen in 2004 - was great in the mornings when we had frost.....

The standard checkered trim isn't bad at all - thought about solver, as that would bring tend or ellipses in silver too, would look nice and brighten the interior in a sea of black?

Vipers, I like - I better pop to NAM for a look - you hardly have a link to that pic by any chance?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The JCW pack comes in every colour but blazing red, as far as I can work out. No idea why but the configurator wouldn't let me add the colour with the pack. It might be an error but I don't mind as couldn't be happier with my car, the only things I'd really like from the JCW pack are the painted side skirts and sports pedals. The rest I can do without. The steering wheel and spoiler aren't too pricey but the pack is expensive. I have the 17" black spoke wheels which I think are a good compromise on look, performance and comfort.

I'd be tempted to say go with the sunroof- this is my first and I love the extra light, especially to contrast with the anthracite headlining.

Blazing red is a really interesting colour by the way- I highly recommend anyone to have a look at it. Not as bright as CR- it's almost pearlescent and changes colours depending on the light. I've had some really good comments on it already!

Edit to add that the heated front screen was another must for me too!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Deffo get the JCW steering wheel, on the test car I drove it had the standard wheel, and I felt it could be a bit slippy if your hands get hot. The JCW is much much better, good grip and feel.

The JCW spoiler looks really good in my opinion and glad I chose it.

LED Headlights are brilliant, (don't forget you get LED rears as well with that option).

Gotta be the petrol although it depends on your annual mileage. The petrol engine is superb with max torque coming in from about 1200 revs and staying there till about (4,500 I think).
Makes the car very flexible (6th gear will pull from about 37MPH quite happily-yawn!), and that torque makes overtaking a breeze in any gear -great fun! Never driven the diesel so cannot advise on that.

I have the chequered dash trim with comes with piano black on the door trims.
Previous R56 had piano black trim and I never had any probs with fingerprints-s'pose it depends how sticky ur fingers are? I clean mine with Poorboys natural look trim dressing and it cleans up nicely and shines well, (although not sure you would want it on a black car?).

BTW There was an all black car in the showroom with the grey Lounge Leather seats and door trim and it looked really nice but its all personal choice, I was tempted but decided on the Thunder Grey.
Heated screen is a must for me, got it on the present and specced it on the previous car).
Tinted rear windows look good on my current car and wished I specced them on the last one.

The centre armrest actually has 4 positions if you play with it, ref the following;
1.Release the button and lift it up out of the way completely.
2.Release the button and let it rest ON the hand brake (but this position is not fixed and the hand brake will move it up again once deployed.

And now, only found out after having the car for a couple of weeks.....
3. From position 1 (raised), lower the armrest slowly until it clicks into place. This is the highest position and is a pain for me.

BUT....From this position , press the release button and very gently lower the armrest again a fraction and as soon as it moves release the button.
You will find that the armrest moves down by about an inch or so then clicks into a lower position which I think is ideal (position 4 if you like). In this position it is clear of the Handbrake lever and much more comfortable and I can drive it like this all day long.

Does my Mini have a fault, or have other users found this feature?:eek:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deffo get the JCW steering wheel, on the test car I drove it had the standard wheel, and I felt it could be a bit slippy if your hands get hot. The JCW is much much better, good grip and feel.

The JCW spoiler looks really good in my opinion and glad I chose it.

LED Headlights are brilliant, (don't forget you get LED rears as well with that option).

Gotta be the petrol although it depends on your annual mileage. The petrol engine is superb with max torque coming in from about 1200 revs and staying there till about (4,500 I think).
Makes the car very flexible (6th gear will pull from about 37MPH quite happily-yawn!), and that torque makes overtaking a breeze in any gear -great fun! Never driven the diesel so cannot advise on that.

I have the chequered dash trim with comes with piano black on the door trims.
Previous R56 had piano black trim and I never had any probs with fingerprints-s'pose it depends how sticky ur fingers are? I clean mine with Poorboys natural look trim dressing and it cleans up nicely and shines well, (although not sure you would want it on a black car?).

BTW There was an all black car in the showroom with the grey Lounge Leather seats and door trim and it looked really nice but its all personal choice, I was tempted but decided on the Thunder Grey.
Heated screen is a must for me, got it on the present and specced it on the previous car).
Tinted rear windows look good on my current car and wished I specced them on the last one.

The centre armrest actually has 4 positions if you play with it, ref the following;
2.Release the button and let it rest ON the hand brake (but this position is not fixed and the hand brake will move it up again once deployed.

3. From position 1 (raised), lower the armrest slowly until it clicks into place. This is the highest position and is a pain for me.

BUT....From this position , press the release button and very gently lower the armrest again a fraction and as soon as it moves release the button.
You will find that the armrest moves down by about an inch or so then clicks into a lower position which I think is ideal (position 4 if you like). In this position it is clear of the Handbrake lever and much more comfortable and I can drive it like this all day long.

Does my Mini have a fault, or have other users found this feature?:eek:
I'm debating on whether to add the whole JCW kit to get Chilli red actually. With that combo, probably red colour line then to pick up on the red stitching theme.

I agree, the piano black might be too much black. I suppose Im more worried about scratches than greasy fingers lol - I'm really not greasy ! :D

Armrest, I know I love it when cruising along - and I have had them in my R53 and it never bothered me - Im hopeful i'd get used to it.

You have discovered a lot of armrest positions anyway !

·
Registered
844 Posts
Welcome Aiden. I recognise your name from the early days of Mini2.

All your options look good. I have blazing red and really like it.

Have you driven a Cooper, the engine in the f56 is great, far more in gear pace than the r56.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome Aiden. I recognise your name from the early days of Mini2.

All your options look good. I have blazing red and really like it.

Have you driven a Cooper, the engine in the f56 is great, far more in gear pace than the r56.
Ken, same, good to see you are still around !

I just drove the S petrol so far, was really my first visit to a dealer, hope to get a few more runs in before ordering !

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Mac99, please post the above on the "things I've discovered about the f56" thread. That was very useful for me and I'm sure it would be useful for others. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I find the armrest really handy for bracing my left elbow when i'm personally in Sport mode ;) but having the auto box means its not in the way when shifting

You wont be dissapointed with either engine aiden, and the whole package is light years on from the older R models we came from

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I find the armrest really handy for bracing my left elbow when i'm personally in Sport mode ;) but having the auto box means its not in the way when shifting

You wont be dissapointed with either engine aiden, and the whole package is light years on from the older R models we came from
Yeah Pat, I'm getting a buzz again now - missed the MINI scene - though the forums seem a lot quieter !

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yeah Pat, I'm getting a buzz again now - missed the MINI scene - though the forums seem a lot quieter !
Your not wrong there Aiden,but then the MINI websites have evolved just like the cars.

Look at MINI2 it's not the same,I don't know if Paul M has anything to do with it these days.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Your not wrong there Aiden,but then the MINI websites have evolved just like the cars.

Look at MINI2 it's not the same,I don't know if Paul M has anything to do with it these days.
Dinger, howdy!

I think Paul isn't involved anymore? No idea, thought he left when he sold it?

Yeah, I wont have 30k posts again anytime soon! >:D

·
Registered
998 Posts
Paul m sold mini2 on a good few years ago and has no involvement anymore. Hes running a nissan leaf these days and still involved in freelance motoring journalism

Forums generally have been overtaken by facebook and twitter as forms of communication but they still have their place as a source of information

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Getting close to ordering now - had another visit to dealer today - think it will be CR/B with the JCW kit and 18" Cup Spokes.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts