Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I'm in the market for a new car and was interested in the new Mini 5 door. I've been doing some research and came across this article from 2013

It mentions having a collision warning/avoidance system, but I haven't seen a mention of this in any of the Mini websites. Did they end up not implementing it after all? It's not a deal breaker but it would be a nice feature to have. I was also wondering if anyone knew anything about Mini introducing blind spot monitoring or lane departure systems?

Thank you

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The Active Driver Assistance package has the front facing camera and the pedestrian/collision detection. It's a $1000 option in the States and requires the Fully Loaded package as well, so it ends up being kind of pricey.

While BMWs have blind spot monitoring and lane departure, MINI does not have those on any of it's cars, even with Active Driver Assist. IMO, the blind spot monitoring is very unnecessary as the car is so small you have very little, if any blind spots and if you're turning your head to check (like you should), I can't see why you would need it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello!

I'm in the market for a new car and was interested in the new Mini 5 door. I've been doing some research and came across this article from 2013

It mentions having a collision warning/avoidance system, but I haven't seen a mention of this in any of the Mini websites. Did they end up not implementing it after all? It's not a deal breaker but it would be a nice feature to have. I was also wondering if anyone knew anything about Mini introducing blind spot monitoring or lane departure systems?

Thank you
When I ordered my MCS, I wanted the blind spot/lane change feature and my dealer's new car sales mngr. talked me out if it. He said the better systems (i.e. Lexus, Corvette, Accura,) all use lasers. The Mini blind spot monitor uses mirrors. If they get dirty, or the sun is hitting them just right, they go "blind" and don't work.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
In the uk i think its the driver assist package . i am a bit concerned and worry they should be called the driver can stop thinking package.!!!!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
In the uk i think its the driver assist package . i am a bit concerned and worry they should be called the driver can stop thinking package.!!!!!
Haha I like that!

I must say, although I think the technology is cool, I think it's a gimmick at the same time. I had a Clubman curtesy for a few days and that comes standard with the anti-collision warning system, and not only did it make me jump out of my seat and almost crash because it beeped and braked for me, it was forever flashing its red car at me. This may have been due to the area I live in with most roads being double parked but god it was annoying.

A cool feature to have but when it starts intruding on everyday driving its getting turned off.

IF anything, I would only equip it to have Adaptive Cruise and have the extra buttons on the steering wheel to make it symmetrical. 0:) Not sure that's worth the £700 though.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I like your style Brandon,i agree symmetry is good. Ive just the driver assist button missing on the bottom line of toggle switches. Annoys me but as you say a lot of cash for symmetry. I had a clubman with the collision avoidance as a loaner too. It can be switched between different sensitivities,ie cautious,closer and omg! I like you would switch it off!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts