Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Everyone,

Went for our 2nd test drive today, and definitely going to be ordering a Min SE very soon.

As half-expected, when we got to discussing a quote the salesman was pushing a raft of additional insurance options:

• Gap Insurance;
  • "Smart Protect" (insurance to cover dents, dings, scrapes, etc);
  • Protect X & Wheel Seal (protection for paint, interior, wheels, etc);
  • Wheel & Tyre protection (covers kerning of alloys plus damage to tyres);
  • Key protection (in case of lost keys);

... all of which adds up to nearly £2,500. Coincidence that this is almost the same as the government grant ? Am I being too cynical ?!

Anyway - interested in people's views of these "upselling" options. This will be the first car we've bought new, so never really paid any attention to these previously.

Thanks, and happy to be 1 step closer to ownership :).

Jon

·
Registered
MINI F54 Cooper Exclusive, MINI F56 Cooper Sport LCI 2
32 Posts
GAP Insurance - buy via ALA and use MSE25 for 25% off. I’ve bought my last 2 policies from them. £135 versus dealer £400.

KeyCare (key protection) - you can buy via KeyCare but Arnold Clark offer the same product at £19 per fob plus £10 per extra fob.

Protect Wheel Seal - if you eBay ‘Gard X’ or ‘AutoGlym LifeShine’ you’ll see how much the products actually cost, total waste of money.

If you’d like to spend the money - find a local detailer and use their services instead, as the garage won’t be using a detailer to apply the product.

Wheel/Tyre/Dents - ALA (above) also offer a similar product. Accidents happen, id just find a local alloy refurbisher and bodywork place and sort it that way.

·
Registered
2019 Cooper S F55 Exclusive Thunder Grey
63 Posts
Like it has already been mentioned gap insurance much cheaper elsewhere, also gap insurance is only any good if you write the car off or it's stolen and not returned. Most accidents are not write offs so gap insurance won't be used. If your someone who doesn't curb your wheels then you'll unlikely to use the wheel / tyre insurance. Most car insurance with full comprehensive cover loss of keys, but if you do feel you need these insurances buy them elsewhere not from the dealer, as this is where the dealer makes big profits and they play on the fact you're going think it's a good idea to have them. Like it's been said, just say no !

·
Registered
106 Posts
From a United States perspective:

1. If you're not getting it through your normal insurance (and you shouldn't do this IMO), get it if the price is right. Go third party and compare.
2. This is highly dependant on where you live and what kind of ambient damage you'll pick up.
3. Same as #2.
4. This is highly dependant on how you drive and road conditions. If you have runflats and plan on keeping them, I would opt for this. It seems to be really handy for replacing tires for FREE with no deductible. I'm always running over things in our roads at least once a year and I actually got this for peace of mind.
5. I would pass on key protection, since you get two keys and if you're careful enough, nothing will happen to them.

That being said, all of this is contingent upon what you can afford. Remember, paying now or paying later usually doesn't have too much difference. There are outliers, sure, but you're still paying for the repairs, service.

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
Worth getting a quote for gap ins before you go and haggle-ours beat the best deal i could find-they make a killing on it-the rest is up to you but i say no to it all -and take my chances. Gard X or PRotect X is good stuff-available on ebay etc as a full kit with instructions for less than £20= which is what i did=VERY easy to apply it comes with paint, glass cloth and leather protectants and it's very easy to do-ours is one year on and even the glass stuff still beads-took me a couple of hours to do the whole car max-don't pay a dealer !!!!

Reactions: xocomaox

·
Registered
106 Posts
Worth getting a quote for gap ins before you go and haggle-ours beat the best deal i could find-they make a killing on it-the rest is up to you but i say no to it all -and take my chances. Gard X or PRotect X is good stuff-available on ebay etc as a full kit with instructions for less than £20= which is what i did=VERY easy to apply it comes with paint, glass cloth and leather protectants and it's very easy to do-ours is one year on and even the glass stuff still beads-took me a couple of hours to do the whole car max-don't pay a dealer !!!!
I agreed to the protective coating (inside and out) only because it came with a nice warranty that lasts 10 years. That is pretty good, especially with white leather upholstery and I plan to keep the car for a minimum of 6 years. $985 seems like a lot for just a ceramic coating applied that probably cost $80, but the warranty is what I valued. And once it is bundled into the loan, it's just a few extra dollars a month.

But I understand your stance of saving the money upfront, and spending it later! Especially since you can't plan for accidents, because they might not happen!

·
Registered
318 Posts
No*
No
No
No
No

I would only take Gap from this list but it would be from another company at a much more competitive price.

Evening Everyone,

Went for our 2nd test drive today, and definitely going to be ordering a Min SE very soon.

As half-expected, when we got to discussing a quote the salesman was pushing a raft of additional insurance options:

• Gap Insurance;
  • "Smart Protect" (insurance to cover dents, dings, scrapes, etc);
  • Protect X & Wheel Seal (protection for paint, interior, wheels, etc);
  • Wheel & Tyre protection (covers kerning of alloys plus damage to tyres);
  • Key protection (in case of lost keys);

... all of which adds up to nearly £2,500. Coincidence that this is almost the same as the government grant ? Am I being too cynical ?!

Anyway - interested in people's views of these "upselling" options. This will be the first car we've bought new, so never really paid any attention to these previously.

Thanks, and happy to be 1 step closer to ownership :).

Jon

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
191 Posts
Another No, No, No, and No, and maybe a few more No's

I bought GAP insurance on-line at half the price the dealer wanted me to pay.

The rest is worthless, it's just what the salesperson gets his/her bonus from.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Most likely your normal car policy will be to replace with a “new car” during year one

So if you want gap then only years 2-3

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
191 Posts
Most likely your normal car policy will be to replace with a “new car” during year one

So if you want gap then only years 2-3
Agreed but I found the GAP was a lot cheaper if I bought it from day one so, a "wasted" year but cheaper overall (I bought 5 years).

It's like all insurance, you are probably never going to use it, but what if.......

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yep, Gap insurance is the only one worth having, if only for the peace of mind you’re fully covered in case someone happens to drive into you 5 mins after leaving the dealer :D but as others said, go elsewhere - ALA is good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks All.

Vines Mini Gap Insurance - £439. ALA Gap Insurance £229.50 (with code HJ15, as mentioned elsewhere on here). Others have mentioned quotes as low as £117, so I'll keep searching - but still a huge saving.

Vines Mini Key Protection - £99. My current insurer (Adrian Flux) - £19/yr (£57 over 3 years), plus it covers ALL car keys in the household, not just the Mini.

Vines Mini Wheel & Tyre Protection - £639 (3 years). 4x Alloy wheel refurbs, around £70 each = £280 (maybe less for all 4). Tyres ... Unless I "accidentally" drive over a nail just before my tyres reach the legal limit, therefore getting free replacements, I'm not sure I'll see the value there (I may be unlucky, but I'll roll those dice when the time comes).

Still undecided about the Smart Protect and the Protect X. Looking around for options there at the moment ...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On the paint protection, on a previous car I found a loophole (genuinely by accident). Dealer talked me into it (on a 1-year old low mileage car). As it is an insurance policy, I had 14 days "cooling off". A couple of days later (before I'd picked up the car) I had a change of heart. Rang the dealer, and they confirmed I could cancel but as they had already applied the product I would have to pay a fee for the service ... smelling a large rat at this point, I read the small print very carefully. Sure enough, I did have to pay a fee. £22, instead of the full price of something like £450. So I got the paint protection for a steal (and I wasn't that fussed by the insurance anyway).

Asked them again a few years later (the next car) whether I could just have the product applied for £22 and not bother with the insurance. They said no. You can guess which way that went ...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts