Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there - I hope you can help.

I would like a Sat Nav fitted into my Mini. I currently have the Visual Boost radio and have been offered a BMW Mini Sat Nav Radio and Screen part number - 65509279424-01.

Is this easy to fit as a replacement for my existing unit?

Will it need re-programming?

Do I need anything else like changing the aerial?

All help and advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi there - I hope you can help.

I would like a Sat Nav fitted into my Mini. I currently have the Visual Boost radio and have been offered a BMW Mini Sat Nav Radio and Screen part number - 65509279424-01.

Is this easy to fit as a replacement for my existing unit?

Will it need re-programming?

Do I need anything else like changing the aerial?

All help and advice very much appreciated. Thanks.

All the looms are individual to the cars, so your car won't have the wiring needed for the sat nav, even if you replace all the components. So I would expect this to be a very tricky job. You are going to need to study the parts diagrams (try http://etc.cc) to identify all the antenna, control and fitting components that are different. Then add or make new wires into your loom, possibly change connectors. Then get someone to code it, because the coding will have changed. All not impossible, be way beyond what I would want to do. If I wanted a sat nav and didn't have it, I would look at the Click and Go system Mini offers.

The individual looms makes retro fits very difficult, there was a post on here where a member tried to fit folding mirrors to his car only to find the connectors went from 4 wire to 3 on the new folding mirrors. I don't remember if they ever found a solution.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
As Bla7 says; VERY tricky i would assume! sorry.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Jeremy makes some very valid points here.

Go wth the MINI click and go system, more cost effective and a lot less hassle.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
For about £70 Garmin or TomTom will sell you a nice unit that has lifetime map updates ,which mini charge a crazy price for and will have speed limits displayed plus traffic camera warnings neither of which is included in the mini system! Mind you it's nice not to have wires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts