Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have enjoyed my MCS now for a few months, and have found the Sat Nav to be quite accurate, but was wondering how I go about getting updates fir the map data.
When I spoke to the dealer when ordering, I was advised that this was free for life, and updated at the service (have TLC).
Does anyone know that this is correct, as 2 years seems a long time to wait for an update to the map data.
Can anyone shed any light on this?
Many thanks.
Blazing Deb

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hi Blazing Deb,
I too have the Media XL sat nav and after using Tom Tom portables in the past have the same concerns on how to keep my system bang up to date.
I really hope this is a free option on the TLC service as I do not want to pay silly prices to update.
Best wishes

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Wow - in the US, it is pay for updates and they come out about every year at $150!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Weirdly.. this is TomTom/Garmin's fault. Mapping for any sat nav in Europe has various licences to pay to various authorities (like the OS in the UK). Garmin and TomTom pay a flat fee as their unit sales make it worthwhile, whereas poor old BMW don't shift enough units to be able to do this.

That said, I'm pretty impressed with the maps on iDrive. Belgium changes its road system on a seemingly nightly basis and so far it's not let me down/tried to send me the wrong way down a one way street...

£150 or so for an update is fairly low by comparison to others (Volvo is about £400, Audi about £500, Range Rover £300ish, Aston... If you have to ask, you can't afford it :))

·
Super Moderator
8,841 Posts
We meAning I, stupidly.bought.a.Sat.nav about 4 years ago without updates for free. Greer. However there is so little real road building in the uk that we really haven't found it an issue!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.