Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Picked up my new MCS on the weekend, pics to follow..

In the meantime i've got a question about the satnav on the media XL display.

Is there any option to have the 'next turn' on the screen or view a list of upcoming turns. I find myself going down the motorway not knowing where to come off until I hear the nice lady tell me.

I'd like to be able to know if I'm coming off in a couple of miles or 50 miles!

Any help will be much appreciated!

· Registered
19 Posts
Yes there is.

I am guessing you didn't get the heads up display as it will show next turn directions there by default.

The other option is to enable the split screen.

1. Set a destination in the navigation (there is a reason for this i promise)

2. Push the I Drive controller to the right when in the navigation map screen. From there pick Split Screen.

3. On the content to display on the split screen pick the option for arrow display. This will show the upcoming turns on the right side of the map and show the map on the left side. If you did not input a destination to navigate to i am not sure if you will see this option.

This is something I wondered about as well when i first bought the car.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
19 Posts
Your welcome but just know that the split screen will continue to show across all the screens when enabled (radio, status, ect).

When no navigation guidance is active then it will show longitude and latitude but like i said above this will be prevalent across all screens not just navigation.

So if that doesnt bother you then your good to go but if it does just uncheck the split screen option when you are finished navigating.

· Registered
80 Posts
Yes there is.

I am guessing you didn't get the heads up display as it will show next turn directions there by default.

The other option is to enable the split screen.

1. Set a destination in the navigation (there is a reason for this i promise)

2. Push the I Drive controller to the right when in the navigation map screen. From there pick Split Screen.

3. On the content to display on the split screen pick the option for arrow display. This will show the upcoming turns on the right side of the map and show the map on the left side. If you did not input a destination to navigate to i am not sure if you will see this option.

This is something I wondered about as well when i first bought the car.

Hope this helps.

I drove around for 3 days when I bought my JCW thinking how on earth Mini had missed this feature off.

Thanks!

· Registered
120 Posts
The upcoming turn graphics will show up even if you have something else normally set to show in the split screen content. I have my split screen set to show media (music) information. When I have the navigation set to an address, upcoming turns will replace the media information for a short duration. Since I do have a HUD I would turn that off if I could, but it's not a big inconvenience. At least I get to see something else in the split screen when I'm not navigating :)

· Registered
10 Posts
anyone know how to make the traffic flow in show up in the map like how it shows up in waze? (color coded traffic depending on how heavy/moderate/light the flow is)

Is that even possible? I check Traffic flow and traffic signs but for some reason i dont notice or see it in the map...

· Registered
1,189 Posts
anyone know how to make the traffic flow in show up in the map like how it shows up in waze? (color coded traffic depending on how heavy/moderate/light the flow is)

Is that even possible? I check Traffic flow and traffic signs but for some reason i dont notice or see it in the map...
Yes, it's called Traffic info/gray map, or something like that, though I can't think exactly where it is...

It's either under the options when in NAV (go into NAV and hit the OPTION button on the iDrive controller.

OR

From the map view, tilt the controller to the left to pull out the guidance on/off, voice on/off, etc. and go down to the bottom to the "i+" and it may be in there.

· Registered
14 Posts
Except that the traffic info shown on this map doesn't even come close to what Waze shows. It relies on the traffic info dripping in via the radio signal (TMC): only the main highways and with a delay up to ten minutes. I'm still hoping that the XL Jourmey Mate app will 'feed' the 'gray map' with more up to date and granular traffic info in a future update.
I mean, BMW has the info, because they offer RTTI (real time traffic info) on BMW's

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Except that the traffic info shown on this map doesn't even come close to what Waze shows. It relies on the traffic info dripping in via the radio signal (TMC): only the main highways and with a delay up to ten minutes. I'm still hoping that the XL Jourmey Mate app will 'feed' the 'gray map' with more up to date and granular traffic info in a future update.
I mean, BMW has the info, because they offer RTTI (real time traffic info) on BMW's
Waze is an app that is constantly connected to the internet and relies on other users to maintain up to date info. It's better than most map software. I don't think it's fair to compare the two, TBH. Most BMWs use RTTI, same as the MINIs and the newer ones use ARTTI which also factors in info from other ARTTI users. The nice thing about RTTI though is that it is a free service. You don't have to pay a satellite subscription or pay for a data connection. Still not as nice as Waze though, I admit.

Considering the pool of technology mini can dip into & the considerable cost you would hope it's cutting edge but it seems rather poor

Audi managed this for £1495
View attachment 31681
True, but Audis have a data connection via cellular connection which you have to pay for. My mom has an A7 that has it, though I admit the cost these days for a data only SIM is pretty reasonable.

· Registered
468 Posts
Waze is an app that is constantly connected to the internet and relies on other users to maintain up to date info. It's better than most map software. I don't think it's fair to compare the two, TBH. Most BMWs use RTTI, same as the MINIs and the newer ones use ARTTI which also factors in info from other ARTTI users. The nice thing about RTTI though is that it is a free service. You don't have to pay a satellite subscription or pay for a data connection. Still not as nice as Waze though, I admit.

True, but Audis have a data connection via cellular connection which you have to pay for. My mom has an A7 that has it, though I admit the cost these days for a data only SIM is pretty reasonable.

Or even just be able to tether a data connection to access more traffic info would be nice

I've become a huge fan of waze as well with the affordable data add ons is a perfect companion

Theirs probably nothing wrong with media xl it will get the job done & the fact its integrated will certainly be nice

· Registered
14 Posts
Or even just be able to tether a data connection to access more traffic info would be nice

I've become a huge fan of waze as well with the affordable data add ons is a perfect companion

Theirs probably nothing wrong with media xl it will get the job done & the fact its integrated will certainly be nice

Exactly!
Use the data connection to get more (granular and up to date) data into Mini's navigation system and visible on the map.

So far it just looks pretty, but doesn't give me the quickest route from A to B. Especially during rush hours.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.