Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just taken delivery of my MCS I have spent the last week playing around and setting up all the options.
While setting up the sat nav on split screen I have noticed that in the position screen the altitude setting reads in yards and not feet. I have noticed that the US version gives the reading in feet.
Does any one know how to change this because my dealer certainly doesn't
I would be interested to know what other UK based sat navs give as the altitude or is mine just an odd one?
Thanks for you help

MickeyG

·
Registered
360 Posts
Have you tried looking in the units menu in the vehicle settings menu?

Congratulations on the car! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep tried that, all settings are imperial but the height remains at yards and not feet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Not many of us have our cars yet!! Once I've got mine (2 more sleeps!) I'll see if I can suss it out :)

Reactions: Black&White_D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seeing as more cars are now surfacing could anyone answer my original question regarding the height reading of the sat nav.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry yes I did look but can't see how it can be changed :-/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for taking the time to look. I assume that yours also shows the height in yards. Daft programming in my opinion:|

·
Registered
87 Posts
It'll probably be poor localisation: height is measured in metres and yards approximates to metres - we'll use that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry but what is poor localisation?
Also height can be measured in any measurement you care to mention. The norm in my opinion ( for those who use imperial measurements) is feet and not yards. As an example at what height doe's an international aircraft cruise at. I bet it is 35000 feet and not 11666 Yards. The sat navs in the USA read in feet so why not in the UK.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Poor localisation in software is, for example, when it only allows American format dates. I was guessing that as metric height is measured in metres, someone made the poor decision that the UK version - being Imperial - would use yards for the same. If the US version shows height in feet then I expect my guess was wrong.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does the dealer know? Maybe it's something that can be fixed as part of a software upgrade.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I don't think everyone would be happy unless it is just more configurable.
If it said I was at 1000 feet above sea level, I'd still want it to tell me to turn left after 300 yards and then my destination is five miles away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Poor localisation in software is, for example, when it only allows American format dates. I was guessing that as metric height is measured in metres, someone made the poor decision that the UK version - being Imperial - would use yards for the same. If the US version shows height in feet then I expect my guess was wrong.
Thanks for the explanation sloppy programming is my guess

JCinSYD my dealer knows and is completely clueless as to why. All they can tell me is "that they are all like that" including, apparently the sat navs on new BMW's. Not the answer I was expecting.
Just have to live with it I suppose:(

Thanks to all those who have replied.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.