Mini Cooper Forum banner

Sat Nav

16K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  jeremybingham 
#1 ·
Morning all, just wondering if anyone knew what the Sat nav software was like with the new cars. With my old sat nav app I had with my audi (via mobile phone) I had camera warnings, does anyone know if the new software as supplied carries POI and Camera warnings or is it a basic bit of kit?

Any comments on accuracy?

thanks

Milo.:nerd:

#4 ·
It might not have speed cameras but at least it highlights the speed limits (which will be great on HUD). I'm going to find that really useful in towns/cities I'm unfamiliar with. Concentrating on where you need to be is hard enough without watching where speed limits swap between 30/40 etc!

#7 ·
I started with two questions but ended up with more...

Do you actually have to be "doing" navigation for it use the satnav data, or does it keep track of where you are all the time anyway?

If a speed limit sign overrides the satnav data (e.g. for temporary roadworks) then will the system recognise the sign and show you the lower limit?

Given the speed limit recognition, can that feed into the cruise control system and slow you down when, say, a dual carriageway becomes a single carriageway with a lower limit?

Finally, given we have a camera that can recognise speed limit signs, I wonder if it could (in future) recognise traffic lights and warn you if you were about to cross a red one? Just speculating now...

Sorry for all the questions... I promise that when I have a car I'll spend time providing answers :)

#10 ·
It uses information form both sources, but you dont have to have an active route on the sat nav.

The display will show the lower temporary limit as read by the camera. We have a primary school near where we live and the the kids have hand painted a banner showing a road sign and the message 20 is plenty. The camera recognised this everytime we go past and tell us it is a 20mph limit...

There is no interaction with the cruise control it purely tells you the speed limit for the road you are on. It is still up to you to come off the loud pedal.:D

#20 ·
what i dont get... is why people need to have the speed limit sign projected within the car... are most people unable to read speed limit signs these days?

way too much tech on cars, giving the driver further excuses if the tech fails them.

Back to basics for me...

I have the sat nav, but have never really needed it for the trips i do....

Here's a pic of the 3d sat nav... of Thurrock Lakeside
Vehicle Car Electronics Technology Personal luxury car

#26 ·
what i dont get... is why people need to have the speed limit sign projected within the car... are most people unable to read speed limit signs these days?

way too much tech on cars, giving the driver further excuses if the tech fails them.

Back to basics for me...

I have the sat nav, but have never really needed it for the trips i do....

Here's a pic of the 3d sat nav... of Thurrock Lakeside
View attachment 2418
Cool photo.

I'm not sure about where everyone lives, but sometimes you won't see a speed limit sign for a while and you forget what you should be doing. Pity in Oz we don't have speed limit recognition on the Driving Assistant. That's why I opted out of specifying it

Did I just come off as a bimbo just then? LOL 0:)

#37 ·
I think you need the driver assistance pack with Media XL pack. The speed sign recognition is handled by the sat nav database in conjunction with the front facing camera, used for active cruise control.

If you have the option to display speed signs then you will have the option to display this in the HUD or the speedo info display.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.