Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post this as a bit of advice/experience that saves money.

So, just received my fantastic MCSD 5 Door a few weeks ago. Love it to bits. After fitting steel winter wheels to my 2014 cooper for £530 from the dealer I thought I would do the same for the SD. I don't have lots of cash to burn but the 15 inch steels just weren't right enough for the 5 door SD so had to rethink.

Looking at the Mini website wheel configurator I found the standard loop alloy wheels plus TPMS sensors and winter tyres came in at an eye watering £1344. Just a bit too rich for my liking.

Next stop eBay. There are plenty of wheels for the R56 (2nd Gen mini) but little on offer for the F56 F55 as of yet. However, there's a guy on here that clearly works for BMW/MINI as he's got plenty of standard wheels on sale. They are second hand, but nonetheless they are cheap. I picked the standard loops (which I really like the design of anyway) for £200 inc. delivery.

The condition of them is good - albeit they have very slight markings. You get what you pay for, and I'm thinking the money I saved can be offset against retouching after the winter season is over.

Next thing, those expensive TPMS sensors. Took a gamble here. Didn't want to pay the £260 Mini were charging so looked at two options. Rather than go for 3rd party ones, I went for BMW ones. The same guy had them advertised as being suitable for BMWs, but didn't mention MINI. However, another german company did have them advertised as brand new for both BMW and MINI F56/F55 - these were priced at £170 which is still a good saving. Zoomed in on the pics, took at note of the part number which in my case was 6855539 and went back to the guy I'd bought the wheels from. He sold them to me for £90 for the four. Again, these were obviously used, but only barely.

Finally, bought the tyres from Black circles with fitting from a local independent garage (this was cheaper than going to the very same garage direct!). These were the same tyres that Mini would have fitted themselves. I tried calling the local Mini garage to get a price for fitting and tyres only and the best they could do even with discount was £100 more.

So went to the local garage (Laws in Altens, Aberdeen), they fitted the TPMS sensors and tyres onto the wheels and even wiped down my existing 'summer' wheel set and put them in bin bags and into the back of the car. All was done in just over half an hour. Really good, friendly service.

Finally, and the thing I was really worried about - resetting the TPMS sensors. I didn't have to worry. It doesn't matter that the sensors were on a different car originally. The fitter explained that it's down to the MHz rating (433MHz noted on these) and if that coincides with the car and the serial/part number. All I had to do was press the reset button in the centre console and within 6 miles the system had updated.

So all in, the cost of doing this was substantially less than going via the dealer. Dealer cost £1344 (though could get about 10% off I reckon), the money I spent was £730 so about a 40% saving even with a discount. You're using nearly new parts rather than brand new (tyres themselves are brand new), but it's still a saving worth doing and it will get cheaper or you'll have more options available to you as the new mini becomes more prevalent.

Happy boy. Going to treat the family to a meal to celebrate. Hope it helps someone thinking of the same thing.

Oh should mention, there is a big difference driving with winter tyres when the temperature drops - the car hugs the road beautifully. Haven't had the opportunity to test them out on snow as of yet, but have done so on the 2014 cooper and they're worth investing in.

Stay safe and keep those Mini's in tip top condition folks!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've had my winter alloys/tyres on since mid November! Why won't it bl**dy snow in Aberdeen!!!????

Mind you I got a good deal via a guy on FB - brand new 17" tentacles (std spec on the F56...although I have black cosmos) for £400. But I did shell out on OEM TPMS and bunged on Pirelli Sottozeros ..... about £1000 all in. Still cheaper than John Clark quoted for 16" alloys/tyres.

What tyres have you gone for?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had my winter alloys/tyres on since mid November! Why won't it bl**dy snow in Aberdeen!!!????

Mind you I got a good deal via a guy on FB - brand new 17" tentacles (std spec on the F56...although I have black cosmos) for £400. But I did shell out on OEM TPMS and bunged on Pirelli Sottozeros ..... about £1000 all in. Still cheaper than John Clark quoted for 16" alloys/tyres.

What tyres have you gone for?
I know Donna - even my Mum who lives up in the hills of Chapel of Garioch hasn't had anything other than a light dusting of the stuff and I put winter wheels on hers to keep her safe!

Anyway, on her car - the cooper I went for Pirelli Sottozeros. On mine I was going to do the same, but John Clark are now quoting on Goodyear Ultragrip 8's so I went for those to do a price comparison.

Like you said, Haven't had the opportunity for snow testing yet, but on the drive from laws today they handled very well at 0 degrees.

Ideally would have gone for 17" wheels, but at the time I ordered there wasn't any choice on eBay. Also had to keep it in budget. better looking than steelies nonetheless, though I have to say my VO and black setup is having a little bit of an identity crisis!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
ha ha .... me too, not really caring for the silver alloys ....mind you, they won't show up any scuffs like the black ones and it's only a matter of time before they get scuffed off a kerb 'cos of ice etc!

I thought about the Ultragrips too but Pirellis were a good bit cheaper. Never had Pirellis before, always been a Vredestein wintergrip girl before now.

Reactions: Sunster

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ha ha .... me too, not really caring for the silver alloys ....mind you, they won't show up any scuffs like the black ones and it's only a matter of time before they get scuffed off a kerb 'cos of ice etc!

I thought about the Ultragrips too but Pirellis were a good bit cheaper. Never had Pirellis before, always been a Vredestein wintergrip girl before now.

That's interesting. the ultra grips are now cheaper than the pirelli's! I think that's because the pirellis were on offer before and the now the ultra grips are. Go figure - only time will tell. JC were also offering good years (can't remember which ones) at an extra £150. Silly money to be had.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Well done sunster. I had the tyres, hankook icepts already so got my alloys from my tyres .lovely dezent graphite big savring over mini £280 I think but chickened out 're tpms and bought oem. Mini fitted the tyres and balanced them for £15 or wheel . I was happy .tested out in snow today and have to confess I even did a bit of overtaking! Rock solid.

Reactions: Sunster

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
:/ I really do Think. Winter tyres should be the law. After seeing the chaos today even more so.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can't help thinking the dealer price for TMPS is a rip-off. I've just ordered steel wheels and winter tyres (bought now to negotiate a good deal) at £480. I could have got them at £450 elsewhere in the country.
If the sensors really do cost £260, it makes the steel wheels and tyres look awfully cheap....
I suspect in a few years time they will be routinely fitted a tyre shops for £15 or £20.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts