Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am not an owner yet , but am planning to get a new MINI Cooper S very soon, and meanwhile reading everyone's experiences and impressions on this board.

Thanks for sharing.

I have really enjoyed using the configurator on the MINI website - pretty sure I know roughly what I'm after.. but it changes from day to day - usually getting pricier with each visit!!

Anyone here know what benefit there is in getting the 18" rims versus the standard 17" ?

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Bill, welcome to the site.

The only reason for getting the larger 18" alloys is for the old aesthetics.

17" alloys will give a better ride, are likely to weigh less and therefore will improve performance, fuel economy and feel too.

However, 18" alloys look really good on the F56, whereas the 17" wheels from some angles don't seem big enough.

I've ordered the MCS with 17" alloys in black with the hope that they don't seem undersized in practice. In reality I'm pleased as I know the ride will be better.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
Totally agree with the above. Aesthetically the F56 looks good on 18" wheels and looking at our car I have thought the 17's look a little small.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for the input. I really appreciate the view from actual Mini owners. And so the can of worms is opened….

I just did some casual research and found this article:-
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

My reading of the general observations are -
larger wheels = worse sound quality, more impact harshness, drop in fuel economy and degradation in 0-to-60-mph acceleration
smaller wheels = more understeer on the skidpad, more controlled and supple ride, less skidpad grip.

Admittedly, this test was on a VW GTI and tested 15,16,17,18,19" wheels but I reckon the principles would be the same for any car… ?
It was my assumption before seeing that article that larger wheels would benefit performance and fuel economy too, but apparently the extra weight and the lower sidewall on the larger wheel works against that. So I'm starting to wonder. . . .

Until I read your response I was feeling comfortable sticking with the 16" (which I just noticed is the actual standard equipment listed on the MiniUSA website). Now I'm undecided again.

All things being equal, I'd lean toward better fuel efficiency and performance over cosmetic appeal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hey all, here from Australia patiently waiting til the car arrives in dealerships next week.

I, too, am saving for the the F56, currently owing a Cooper S Coupe, and two Coopers before that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bambam and JC, welcome to the community here.

Regarding wheel/tyre size, if you aren't positively smitten by the looks of the 18", do yourself a favor and spec the 17" wheels.

The 17" wheels will offer less weight, less expensive replacement cost, more comfortable ride, better fuel economy, and better acceleration. And of course, be less expensive up front to spec.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hi Bill, I don't live in Canada (I'm in the UK) but if the roads in and around Seattle are similar to those that I've experienced in Ontario and Quebec, then I'd definitely spec the 17" alloys over the 18" alloys, and yes I agree that the principles associated with wheel size will underpin any car. Mind, after our winter, our roads aren't that great at the moment.....!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, nice community.
Thanks for the great (constructive) responses and warm welcome.

As a (future) new owner, I'm still getting accustomed to the subtleties and options. The 16" wheels look brilliant to me actually - I'm just not feeling what some people see in the larger wheels. It's a relief to know that the cheaper option is not degrading the performance.

Minis have been turning my head for years - brilliant looking cars and the praise for the handling is unanimous - it's a wonder it took me this long to get serious.

Thanks again for the input.

Penny jar is big enough. That's not the problem.
It's just not full of pennies yet.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Welcome guys! I've just spotted a bunch of new intros and am trying to make sure I say hi to everyone :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts