Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just taken delivery of my Mini Electric and I don't get why I can't put the car into scheduled charging mode to take advantage of cheaper electricity rates without having to set a leaving time, or pre-conditioning, as I don't leave home at a regular time every day.

My cheap electricty rate is between 00:30 and 04:30, so I tested it by setting up this time slot, and setting my leaving time to 08:00, as that is the time I tend to leave the most. The car charged fine, but it actually started charging around 22:00 in the evening and finished at 08:00 the next morning (I was on a 3 pin plug). The car completely ignored my schedule and just went instead aimed to give me a full charge by 08:00, which is not what I want. I only want the car to drawer power between 00:30 and 04:30.

I do have a wall charger (I'm having teething problems with it as it keeps cutting out, but that's another story), and I can set the schedule on my wall charger and just leave the car set to charge all the time, the problem seems to be that if the wall charger shuts off abruptly at 04:30, the charge session doesn't seem to register on the Mini Connected app, which isn't a show stopper, but it's not ideal.

TLDR: Is there a way to schedule the charging from the car without having to set a departure time or preconditioning?

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
On the phone app you simply 'set charging time' I know it says departure time on the headlines but it starts to charge at the time you set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the phone app you simply 'set charging time' I know it says departure time on the headlines but it starts to charge at the time you set.
Thanks for the reply, I have tried setting the charging time via the app, but it's the same problem as when I set it in the car. It doesn't just limit charging to the time slot, it overrides that to ensure the car has a full charge by the departure time, which isn't what I want. I can see this is the case from my energy suppliers usage graph, and the Mini connected app also shows it's charged outside of the defined charging window.

My car is the new LCI that's just been released (2022?) which I believe has new software, so maybe it's just a software issue that needs resolving.

It does seem daft to me being forced to set a departure time to schedule charging during off peak hours, but this is my first venture into EV ownership, so it's all new to me.

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
487 Posts
It’s not quite that simple. You also have to set a departure time for the settings to work and be sent to the car. My suggestion is that you set the departure time for 04:30, that way the car will charge up to the time. It may start early though as the car will aim to reach 100% ready for departure based on the available power. So on the granny charger it could take more than 4 hours to reach 100%, the car know this and adjusts the start time to give the best range by 04:30. On a wall box at 7kw the car can reach 100% in four hours and should there stay within the 4 hour window you have set. I have no issues doing the same as you on the wall box. I have my departure time set for 07:00 and my car always starts charging at 20:30 until 00:30 (my cheap rate window).

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
487 Posts
Here is the screen you mean. If you scroll down I bet you have a departure time set. If you don’t you get the following message when you try to send the command to the car

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the screen you mean. If you scroll down I bet you have a departure time set. If you don’t you get the following message when you try to send the command to the car
Yeah, thanks, that's exactly what I see on the app, and the message is similar message in car. That's a good idea setting the car to pre-condition for 04:30, I'd be happy with that as long as it doesn't start drawing power before the cheap rate starts, which I guess it probably won't as the battery will rarely drop below 50%. I guess I could also set the timer on the wall charger (once it's fixed) to power on at 00:25 and go off at 04:35, just to make sure the car can't drawer power at a higher rate. I don't care about the car fully charging each night.

·
Super Moderator
7,563 Posts
As Parky my gut reaction. Set departure time for the end of your cheap tariff.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just spitballing here......would it honour the 4 hour window if you set the departure time for the day after next rather than the next day?

eg. On Monday night, set the departure time for Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Just spitballing here......would it honour the 4 hour window if you set the departure time for the day after next rather than the next day?

eg. On Monday night, set the departure time for Wednesday morning.
Nope...doesn't work!

I set my departure time for Sunday morning then set a 5 min window for the off-peak charging. I thought it may use the off-peak every day until Sunday morning when it would need to make up the rest of the charge. It didn't start charging at the set time so I guess it was gonna wait until Saturday and charge up fully in one session.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The functionality for charging at off-peak rates, unfortunately, has not changed from the 2021 to 2022 models. (as I think you already figured out) In order to set a favorable charging rate window, you must set a departure time (page 236 of the 2022 manual - "setting the time window for favorable rate"). But it says that it will start and/or end charging outside of your set charging window so that the vehicle is "as fully charged as possible" prior to departure.

An additional 'feature', which I do not fully understand, is that if you miss your departure time three days in a row, then the scheduled departure time is cancelled (page 238 = "activating the departure time"), which would also cancel your overnight charging window. Is this because it harms the battery to condition it for departure every day without driving it? I'm not sure.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just taken delivery of my Mini Electric and I don't get why I can't put the car into scheduled charging mode to take advantage of cheaper electricity rates without having to set a leaving time, or pre-conditioning, as I don't leave home at a regular time every day.

My cheap electricty rate is between 00:30 and 04:30, so I tested it by setting up this time slot, and setting my leaving time to 08:00, as that is the time I tend to leave the most. The car charged fine, but it actually started charging around 22:00 in the evening and finished at 08:00 the next morning (I was on a 3 pin plug). The car completely ignored my schedule and just went instead aimed to give me a full charge by 08:00, which is not what I want. I only want the car to drawer power between 00:30 and 04:30.

I do have a wall charger (I'm having teething problems with it as it keeps cutting out, but that's another story), and I can set the schedule on my wall charger and just leave the car set to charge all the time, the problem seems to be that if the wall charger shuts off abruptly at 04:30, the charge session doesn't seem to register on the Mini Connected app, which isn't a show stopper, but it's not ideal.

TLDR: Is there a way to schedule the charging from the car without having to set a departure time or preconditioning?
I had exactly the same issues as you the first week I had my car. With the 13 amp charger it overrides everything to make sure it charges to 100%.
I am now using an Ohme charger and it is set to only charge at the 5p Octopus Go Faster tariff and it does exactly that! That was the easiest way I found to sort it, now it's just plug in and forget.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts