Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody advise the best way to get rid of scratches of the media xl screen, the dealership I bought my car from had used paper towels to clean the screen which has left a load of scratches/scuffs which can be seen in direct sunlight, please see attached photo to see what I mean

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,879 Posts
That's terrible; i would be asking for a new screen; mind you maybe have nothing to lose by having a go at it so perhaps a VERY lightly abrasive polish ie a cleaning polish-such as autoglym resin polish or a paint prep polish- i would think t cut might be too harsh but if the polish route has no effect then perhaps try that-toothpaste is pretty abrasive and may make it worse but might work too! What ever you do proceed with EXTREME caution! and good luck.

Reactions: uke

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dont hit that screen with any sort of abrasive anything. I wouldnt try anything stronger than a tint safe (amonia free) glass cleaner. Its a soft and frustratingly porous screen they use, similar to older laptop screen. Talk to the dealer ship, explain that this is not how the screen was before you purchased, or before you took it in for service, whichever is applicable. They shouldnt have touched that with anything but microfiber.

If the dealership is reluctant and ypu do not want to push then an oversize screen protector that you cut to fit, say for a tablet, will reduce your ability to see that mess in direct sunlight. Static cling type. Good luck either way.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I also have this issue but much less severe. Almost looks like damage similar to what you would find on gloss black trim from a brush hoover attachment. I'm familiar with acrylic polishing on speedo but this is different as we know. Any ideas or should i just learn to live with it?

Cheers

·
Registered
237 Posts
Exactly the same happened to my screen. The anti glare coating has been scratched by the dealer/previous owner. I got some fine plastic rear screen cleaner for soft top cars and I removed all of the anti glare coating. it all it looks like new.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I've not touched my screen since I got it...and I don't intend to!! :)

Reactions: Emy-Lou

·
Super Moderator
6,879 Posts
Me neither other than a wipe over with a soft microfiber cloth thAts it for me!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I bet more brand new MINIs are damaged by dealer detailers who are often teenagers with their first job that haven’t a clue what they are doing! Absolutely shameful that stuff like this happens! I know it does because I had some damage to my brand new JCW....could likely have been avoided by trying just a little to be careful while prepping my car for pickup!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, would anyone who has used the method to remove the coating be able to share some pics of the results? I have the same issue on my clubman media Xl screen. Annoying as hell. Also did you do it with the screen in situ, or take it out? Apparently there’s a megauires product called plastRX that is good for the job? Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts