Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very very random question...

How do you turn on the seat belt reminder chime? I have heard it in reviews on YouTube but I don't know how to turn it on in my car. Can anyone help?

I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Very very random question...

How do you turn on the seat belt reminder chime? I have heard it in reviews on YouTube but I don't know how to turn it on in my car. Can anyone help?

I am in the UK if that makes a difference.

Many thanks!
Not sure what you're asking, but if you want to listen to the chime, start the car without the seatbelt being fastened.

·
Registered
237 Posts
As long as the engine is on, the seat belt warning goes on for ever (I think it will finally stop even if seatbelt is not put on).

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Yes by default it's on. Put something heavy on the passenger seat(dog?) And drive off. Drives you nuts but as minigirl says I think it does eventually give up, though not 100% sure in the f56.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
You like to have places to yourself then? Good ploy ,.should see the colour of the air when ours goes off.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
You can't turn it on or off its an eec thing. Yes you're right peterg, you can adjust the volume,now there's a thought how quiet will it go?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your replies.

When I get in my car, the seat belt reminder chime does make any noise. I am wondering if it's not activated/ turned on?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Thank you for your replies.

When I get in my car, the seat belt reminder chime does make any noise. I am wondering if it's not activated/ turned on?
That sounds like a glitch, which could be either trivial or dangerous.

The problem might be a short or maladjustment in the module that detects whether the seat belt is fastened. The car thinks the seatbelt is always fastened, and sends no error signal to the computer. That's the trivial problem.

A more serious problem is that a disconnect has occurred between the seat occupant sensor and the computer. The computer may not know that you are sitting in the seat, either because the sensor failed and the computer doesn't realize it, or there's a software glitch that leads the computer to disregard what the sensor is telling it.

Software or sensor, this has some scary implications; if the computer doesn't think that there is somebody in the driver's seat, in a crash, will it not fire the airbags? The passenger airbag (I believe) will not fire if the passenger is below a certain weight in order to avoid injuring the passenger. I don't know if the same logic applies to the driver's side airbag, but if it does then you might not have airbag protection.

Are you small in stature? Small enough that a slightly maladjusted weight sensor would deem you below the activation threshold for the seat belt warning / airbags?

You should have it checked out. I hate those stupid seat belt chimes, but the lack of one on your car could indicate a serious safety issue.

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
It doesn't chime immediately you have to drive off with it off for a few mins then away it goes!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you @uke and @jeremybingham for your detailed answers. I have tried it and found out it does work after about 30 seconds! Many thanks! I was just concerned because in the YouTube videos I have watched, the chime noise comes on as soon as your start the engine. Maybe it is different for UK car? Not sure why it would be though...

Thanks again :)

·
Super Moderator
7,894 Posts
Yes only comes on after a few mins driving I assume to not annoy you if say you were just moving the car on the drive etc. A very welcome feature I think as its very very annoying when it does start.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Music to my ears...

I like it so much, I have mine factory set to chime ALL the time (the passenger seat):eek:

My JCW is 230km old, and the drive home from the dealer had my wife in the seat. Took it out on day 2, **** chime is driving me crazy. There is nothing on the seat. I can only turn it off if I attach the seat belt.

Is there something I am doing wrong, or is there a way to start the car and drive off chime free.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That sounds like a glitch, which could be either trivial or dangerous.

The problem might be a short or maladjustment in the module that detects whether the seat belt is fastened. The car thinks the seatbelt is always fastened, and sends no error signal to the computer. That's the trivial problem.

A more serious problem is that a disconnect has occurred between the seat occupant sensor and the computer. The computer may not know that you are sitting in the seat, either because the sensor failed and the computer doesn't realize it, or there's a software glitch that leads the computer to disregard what the sensor is telling it.

Software or sensor, this has some scary implications; if the computer doesn't think that there is somebody in the driver's seat, in a crash, will it not fire the airbags? The passenger airbag (I believe) will not fire if the passenger is below a certain weight in order to avoid injuring the passenger. I don't know if the same logic applies to the driver's side airbag, but if it does then you might not have airbag protection.

Are you small in stature? Small enough that a slightly maladjusted weight sensor would deem you below the activation threshold for the seat belt warning / airbags?

You should have it checked out. I hate those stupid seat belt chimes, but the lack of one on your car could indicate a serious safety issue.
Mine is in the dealer’s for the THIRD time. Something as small and light as a 14 inch feather beck pillow sets it off. They replaced the seat mat once but its still doing it - SO annoying. For the price of these cars we shouldn’t have to create ways to stop this from happening - they should be able to fix it.

·
Registered
Cooper S Works 210
997 Posts
I used a seat belt buckle from ebay which slotted into the holder to stop the chime, i then got Bimmercode and with this you can disable the chimes and warnings :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts