Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a catch deep within the seat rail which is released when you lift the seat release handle under the seat, allowing the seat to slide forward and back. This has snapped off and I'm being told the only sensible way to repair is to buy a whole new seat!

Seems a huge expense to repair a broken catch.

Anyone experienced this and got any suggestions how to repair? Can't you just replace the seat rails? Desperate for some advice, as the seat is stuck in an unusable position, so the car's off the road until I get it sorted.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having same or similar issue as you, so I'm eager to see any replies here. My passenger seat won't lock into place on the rails, it just slides around but won't catch except at farthest backward location (when it hits the back seat). Repair shop says the underside is "destroyed" and wants $1700 to replace seat frame - - their explanation seems so non-specific that I'm wondering what level of skill it might take to remove the seat myself and poke around to determine problem. Rare that I have a passenger, so having a hard time believing the mechanism is "destroyed."
Wish there was a Haynes manual for all this. . .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadly, this was an expensive fix. I had to replace the whole seat base mechanism, by swapping the existing faulty one with a new seat base mechanism from BMW. It cost around £500 in total, despite it only being the end of a metal clip which had sheared off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts