Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really stupid question, what's the point of having the leatherette surround, apart from aesthetically looking nice. Also the headrests, the leatherette part is facing the rear passengers, surely it should be forward facing? The cloth part of the seat is quite hard and has quite a rough texture, the chequered bucket seats however have leather facings and cloth surrounds, don't particularly care for the chequered look but presume must be a much more comfortable fit.

Also dual zone climate control .... With no facility to synchronise the settings!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
I went for the leather facing. I think either look nice and have heard no comfort complaints but for me leatherette like alcantara is just imitation leather therefore plastic no thanks!

Some have commented on the dual climate not being synchroniseable..simple twist of another knob. Really isn't an issue.feels like luxury compared to the r 56.

·
Registered
508 Posts
jakeyboy, are you American?

If so, your comments fit the difference between American and European expectations/habit. Leatherette/vinyl is not favoured as a seating surface to European tastes whereas it does seem to be liked in America. Note how the base seats for America are leatherette/vinyl but in Europe they are cloth, as leatherette/vinyl is considered too low-rent for even our extra-basic One and First models.

I read that the cloth/leatherette seat is actually an experiment by BMW as all the materials it uses are recycled - a serious issue for a German manufacturer, even if few buyers in other countries give a ****. I think these seats sound ideal for the Convertible I have promised myself as, even in northern Britain, I don't want leatherette/vinyl heated by the sun in contact with bare skin.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Must be a German thing; as you say might well be a 'green ' issue, as i see in the Mercedes A class brochure (yuk-not looking personally , just trying to persuade a friend not to buy one )has man made leather across the range.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Was at the Dealer yesterday so I did a lot of Seat Testing and I have to say I do not like the Sports Seats like the pic below felt like sand paper.:(

Love my Diamond Cloth Sports Seat :)

and the Leather Type will stick to your Buns here in AZ in the summer time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.