Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I'm new here. I'm building my Mini for next year for when I can most likely afford it after my business is paid for (God Willingly). I have built several on the configurator on Mini USA and have it down pretty much to a science. The only thing I'm not sold on yet is the seat upholstery. I'm looking to get a 2 door VO hardtop S with black roof, rails, black mirrors, black Victory's, and a manual!!! I'm adding the John Cooper Works Package and was looking to get the Leatherette Carbon Black's. How would you review these seats (first time getting leatherette, use to cloth seats). Thanks!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Leatherette is a great material - rubber blend that doesn't hold heat for long (yes, it will still get hot). Unlike leather, leatherette will not tear, crease, or crack and it won't absorb liquids or smells (unless you REALLY try). It's very easy to maintain and clean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks for the response. Does anyone know how the sports cloth seats feel? They don't look as good as the leatherette but I've never sat in one so I can't judge.

·
Registered
998 Posts
The std(uk build) sports seats in the pearl cloth with leatherette bolsters are excellent. Its probably the nicest cloth I've seen on a car seat. Its a heavy weave more like a sofa cloth than a car seat, almost like a tweed. Id highly recommend trying to find a dealer that has them in a car before writing off cloth for full leatherette. Ive had leather seats on my last 3 cars over 10 years and these were the easiest decision to spec of the whole car

·
Registered
734 Posts
My dealer nearly talked me out of the pearl seats saying that the coarse weave would be hard to keep clean... I changed the order back again to follow my first instinct and I'm glad I did... I really like the seats. They're still clean at the moment...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone, still cant decide but I guess the best way is to try it out first hand and see who the victor is. I'll keep you posted

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Definitely try them I went for the leather seat pad with the Grey diamond cloth bolsters very very comfy and very supportive. Much sportier than the r 56. I liked the diamond pattern.suits vo .btw I have 17"" black cosmic wheels.black roof and rails. Love the rails they look great. Ill post some pics when my computer allows.

Reactions: MINIgirl

·
Registered
90 Posts
I loved the tweed-like seats, I'd have been happy with those to be honest but did opt for the full leather myself.

I've had leather Recaro seats in previous cars and absolutely love it, it does take a bit of looking after but I'm obsessed with detailing so it's not a problem.

I've limited experience of 'leatherette', a colleague has it in his Hyundai iX35 (I think) and neither of us like it, it feels and even smells very rubbery and makes the car feel quite claustrophobic in hot weather.

However I'd guess that Hyundai and Mini build quality and material quality are probably worlds apart, so don't take my experience as gospel, certainly all of the Mini interior I've seen in person have been extremely pleasant!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The tweed-like seats look awesome IMO but I've reacted weirdly in the past to car seats so have played it safe and stuck with the leather this time around.

OP should definitely get to a dealer and try out the different seats they have on their showroom cars- there's no substitute for it.

Plus you get to enjoy yourself looking around at the same time!

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
I agree. Lots of visits needed as these cars have so many options . Almost too many.about the only thing I wish I'd had is full leather but I drew the line at the extra cost and I do really like the half leather. .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely try them I went for the leather seat pad with the Grey diamond cloth bolsters very very comfy and very supportive. Much sportier than the r 56. I liked the diamond pattern.suits vo .btw I have 17"" black cosmic wheels.black roof and rails. Love the rails they look great. Ill post some pics when my computer allows.

Thank you, look forward to seeing them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the continued advice, I have a Mini dealer 15 miles away in New Jersey so I guess I got lucky there, as there's not many Mini dealers around here.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the response. Does anyone know how the sports cloth seats feel? They don't look as good as the leatherette but I've never sat in one so I can't judge.
Hey Meep13 I have the cloth sport seats. I did the double stripe carbon black. Love them. I've had leather in my last 4 cars , but I really like these;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Meep13 I have the cloth sport seats. I did the double stripe carbon black. Love them. I've had leather in my last 4 cars , but I really like these;)
Awesome, thanks. I've had 2 cars so far and both had cloth so I'm looking forward to possibly having the leatherette but I will try the cloth first.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you wear sleeveless tops the pearl (tweedy) cloth, which curves at the top of the seat backrest, can get a bit itchy on the shoulders!

But the fact that the leatherette won't crease or go shiny outweighs the fashion restrictions they place upon oneself!

·
Registered
131 Posts
My boyfriend has a x5 with leather seats... the majority of the seats are hole punched... all the little dots just collected dust and it looks bad. Not sure how you clean it unless you go through all the little dots itself. I dropped a bit of water on it and you can tell where the water was (its a size of a quarter). He will have to do some major cleaning. I also got some tanning lotion rubbed off on the back (yes terrible girlfriend)... and you can see where the tanning lotion on the back rest touched the leather. It just absorbed it and gave it an off colour.

Anyway, I couldn't justify the cost of $1,000+ for the leather and went with the leatherette. The only downfall of leatherette I think is the base doesn't pull out (I don't think?). Have not yet received the car yet so I'm not certain.

I'm glad to hear that others are saying that the leatherette doesn't absorb or crack etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The downside of leatherette is that it absolutely does not breathe... i'm already tired of perspiring in my seat and hoping it's not too obvious when I get out... AC doesn't go there...

·
Registered
51 Posts
From the source of all knowledge (Wikipedia):

Leatherette is a form of artificial leather, usually made by covering a fabric base with plastic. The fabric can be made of a natural or a synthetic fibre which is then covered with a soft PVC layer.
Leatherette bound books and 20th century cameras are good examples of leatherette. Leatherette clothing of various kinds (including lingerie) also exist.
A disadvantage of plastic "leatherette" is that it is not porous and does not allow air to pass through it; thus, sweat can accumulate if it is used for clothing, car seat coverings, etc. One of its primary advantages, especially in cars, is that it requires little maintenance in comparison to leather, and does not crack or fade as easily.
During a fire, leatherette may cause serious skin damage, because it burns more vigorously than leather and can melt.

Cloth for me!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Sure, that's the public story on Wikipedia - but of course the truth is that leatherettes are small, cute, cuddly little creatures, sorta like Gremlins but with nicer characters, and hundreds of these little creatures have to die to make one car seat. Clubbing baby seals is wholesome work compared to running a leatherette ranch.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts