Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just retrofitted the secret compartment in my 2016.

The German instructions are quite vague and I was able to successfully remove the old decor trim by snapping the two tabs along the edge that tuck below the vent. In my opinion, it's not possible to install the secret compartment with the vent in place; whether the tabs are snapped off or not the back of the compartment itself get's caught on the dash when you try to slide it below the vent.

So... off came the speaker grille on the top of the dash (plastic pry tool) and the center display outer ring (two plastic clips). There's two screws at the bottom holding the center display in place as well as a plastic catch / tab you'll need to press down from the speaker well at the top of the dash. You can shuffle the center display outwards in a slow but firm motion. I didn't disconnect anything and simply let it rest on top of something soft over the shifter.

There's one screw to undo the vent. The vent is held in place with three clips on the back; you can barely access them from behind to pop it out. Once the vent is out the hidden console slides and clips into place. There are two screws holes to fill in but the compartment also stays in place fine without them.

Reassembly is the opposite of removal. It took me about 20-30 minutes. I'd half that time if I did it again.

The part number for the hidden compartment on LHD models is 51-45-9-290-340 and cost is ~$150 CAD. You'll need a new decor trim panel which your dealer can match and find with your VIN but budget another ~$150 CAD for this. My parts guy said there wasn't any screws but I'm going to double check this with him next time I'm in.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Agree; a really silly move by mini, since there's not masses of storage. I find it really useful even though it's tiny!

Reactions: GeoffB29

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!

Does anyone know which markets are culprit for the deletion of the compartment? I wouldn't be surprised if they brought it back for some markets due to demand in a year or two.

I posted the retrofit to our local club Facebook group and the dealership has already taken several inquires about the kit and contacted me for installation time and details. It's a pricey piece of kit but folk really want it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought my Mini last week and I was a little sad that the secret compartmenrt was not there, the arm rest and glove box fills up quick so it would be nice to have a place to put secrets.

·
Registered
100 Posts
****, I was looking forward to having this little compartment on my yet to be delivered order.

Can't fathom why they took this nice "little" feature away. Shame. I might have to luck up the courage to install this too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I bought my Mini last week and I was a little sad that the secret compartmenrt was not there, the arm rest and glove box fills up quick so it would be nice to have a place to put secrets.
I would gladly trade you my secret compartment for your arm rest (mine didn't have it when I bought it :( )

·
Registered
763 Posts
****, I was looking forward to having this little compartment on my yet to be delivered order.

Can't fathom why they took this nice "little" feature away. Shame. I might have to luck up the courage to install this too.
The official word from MINI is this was removed due to production complexities of having it available in some parts of the world and not in others.
From what I read not every market allowed the storage compartment.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The classic line comes to mind, "I am from the government and I am here to help." My often unappreciated reply, "who are you here to help, yourself?"

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Guys,

Would anybody be able to help me with the part number for Right hand drive cars?

My mini dealer does not seem to be able to work it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
If anybody needs it, parts code for right hand drive is 51459290341

Hi Guys,

Would anybody be able to help me with the part number for Right hand drive cars?

My mini dealer does not seem to be able to work it out.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are you going to perform this retrofit.

Would be very interested to see how you go. I guess you live in Australia too?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Are you going to perform this retrofit.

Would be very interested to see how you go. I guess you live in Australia too?
Yes I am in Australia, Melbourne here.

I have ordered the parts from Germany, wish me luck.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts